Which hummus brand?

Options
Hi,

Does anyone recommend any brand of hummus? Which is healthiest?
I know making your own is best but want a pre-made option too

In UK supermarkets by the way...M&S, Sainsburys, Tescos

Thanks!

Replies

• FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Don't know if it's available in the UK, but Sabra is pretty popular in the states & ranked high on a lot of taste tests. They have different flavors.

ADDED NOTE...yep, they have it in the UK, just a different color label... http://osem.co.uk/brands/sabra
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    you might as well eat a pile of doo doo.....hummus is so nasty
  • brandic7
    brandic7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sabra is amazing! My only problem is I don't want to stop once I get started eating it!
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks!

Is Sabra ranked high on healthiness though?
    I'd assume some brands have a load of crap thrown in!
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Adsa 30% fat free... or Tesco reduced fat.
    Hummus will always have high calories due to the chick peas. You can always make your own. Lidl chick peas are my favourite.
  • GemW27
    Options
    Hummus will always have high calories due to the chick peas. You can always make your own. Lidl chick peas are my favourite.
    M&S has a reduced fat too...though pretty high in calories.

Suppose it's ok if you limit portion size - I'd only be having it with crackers anyway as a small snack.

On another note...is Hummus even healthy?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    M&S has a reduced fat too...though pretty high in calories.

Suppose it's ok if you limit portion size - I'd only be having it with crackers anyway as a small snack.

On another note...is Hummus even healthy?

It can be, but like anything moderation. Because of the olive oil and stuff it can add up quick if not controlled. But it is a good source of healthy fats...which is why I never buy the fat free versions.
  • HoverKitteh
    Options
    Sabra has preservatives.

Make your own. Healthier and lasts just as long in the fridge.

1 can of organic garbanzo beans drained (reserve liquid)
    1/4 C of Tahini
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1/2 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1-2 fresh garlic cloves (I use three because I like my hummus garlicky)
    Juice of one large lemon

In a blender or food processor:

Combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of blender then turn on and process for 30 seconds. This extra time helps “whip” or “cream” the tahini, making smooth and creamy hummus possible. Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to whipped tahini and lemon juice. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of blender or food processor bowl, then process another 30 seconds. Drain liquid from the chickpeas and reserve. Add half of the chickpeas to the mixture, then process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom and, add remaining chickpeas. Process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth. Most likely the hummus will be too thick or still have tiny bits of chickpea. With the blender or food processor going, add chickpea liquid a tablespoon at a time until the consistency is perfect. You can serve it with added olive oil on top. I usually don't because of the added fat. I just sprinkle it with a bit of smoked paprika and dig in.
  • FrauMama
    FrauMama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I use a very similar recipe. Super easy and WAY better-tasting than anything pre-made. I usually make it in a food processor, but used a blender the last time and it was SO good. Much creamier and just delicious.

Wow, willnorton, very helpful reply. Nice.
  • iceyelf
    iceyelf Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sabra is amazing! My only problem is I don't want to stop once I get started eating it!

well at least I am not the only one.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Homemade hummus (same recipe as above, plus loads of fresh cilantro) with with toasted pine nuts and scoops ... a perfect meal!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What is your definition of "healthy"?

The main ingredient is chickpeas, and that's not going to vary much from brand to brand. I'd pick the one you like the taste of, and just watch portion size.
  • GemW27
    Options
    Looks like I'll be making my own!

Thanks all.

And thanks for the recipe!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I also use a very similar recipe. I get mad when my bf buys it because it's so cheap to make :angry:
  • HoverKitteh
    Options

Thanks all.

I also make a really tasty black bean hummus. Let me know if you want the recipe.
  • GemW27
    Options

The main ingredient is chickpeas, and that's not going to vary much from brand to brand. I'd pick the one you like the taste of, and just watch portion size.

Lowest fat, carbs/sugar
  • GemW27
    Options

Thanks all.

I also make a really tasty black bean hummus. Let me know if you want the recipe.
    Yes please :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sabra. Sabra. Sabra.

They broke my heart when they discontinued their Buffalo flavor. I could eat my calorie goal in carrots and roasted garlic, or in tortilla and supremely spicy or roasted red pepper. Pine nut when I want a more traditional taste.

:heart:
  • HoverKitteh
    Options

Thanks all.

Yes please :)

Ingredients
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    2 cloves garlic
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons tahini
    Juice of 1/2 lime (about 1/2 - 1 tablespoon)
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
    Salt to taste

Directions

In a food processor blender or blender, combine all of the ingredients. Process until smooth, adding a tablespoon of hot water at a time if needed to thin the consistency. Serve with toasted pita chips, pretzel crisps, tortilla chips, fresh veggies or whatever your heart desires. Don't use the bean water with this particular hummus because it ends up tasting too salty.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Lowest fat, carbs/sugar

So...tasteless and/or full of crap to replace the fat and carbs they removed?

I'd make my own, cheap, easy, and I can make it the consistency and flavour I like.