natural anti inflammatory?

Options
I'm looking for an anti-inflammatory, though am allergic to Advil. Pharmacist tells me I'm likely allergic to the alternatives as well. Anyone have good results with something natural (google tells me many things, though it's difficult to tell the theoretical from the demonstrated).

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb diet reduces inflammation but I don't know of any one food that does. Here's a link in case a change in your diet is something you're interested in:

LCHF For Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb diet reduces inflammation but I don't know of any one food that does. Here's a link in case a change in your diet is something you're interested in:

OP, I have experienced the same thing as the post above. I used to have swollen joints on my legs, arms and hands, and aching joints, and when I eliminated grains and went low carb, it went away within a week. In a nutshell, this is the LCHF diet. In addition, I had asthma that disappeared and my skin cleared up. Not sure if this will work for you too, but this is what worked for me. To answer your question of "natural" anti inflammatory, this is what I discovered as a "natural" way that worked for me, without use of pills, powders, gimmicks, etc.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Meditation or a good vacation.:happy:
  • chickenz
    chickenz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Google dr Weil, anti-inflammatory diet. It's a great resource, tells you what to have and what to avoid
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have a autoimmune disease that attacks my joints, connective tissues, etc... that causes lots of swelling of my body.

Ever since I tamed down my carbs to 30% intake when I am not running or burning thousands of calories at a time, my body has responded much better. I'm not sure the two go hand in hand, but it is something I am watching.

Fresh pineapple is a natural anti inflammatory that contains bromelain that some say are it is superior to the chemotherapy drug 5-fluoraucil in treating cancer in an animal study.

I had the 5-fluocaucil when I was treated for cancer a couple years ago and never heard the claim then, but found was also interesting.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Tumeric is a good spice to use for anti-inflammatory.

I too have an auto-immune disease and feel much better when I do lower carbs like the above poster suggested.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Aspirin.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    fresh parsley. i put it in smoothies and is tasty. not sure it works like advil though.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I too have an auto-immune disease and feel much better when I do lower carbs like the above poster suggested.

i second the Turmeric, it works pretty well for me
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

i second the Turmeric, it works pretty well for me

Third. I'm also low carb. I do it to help control my costochondritis. I make my own because it's cheaper when I can buy things in bulk.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Googling this will get you plenty of answers, specific to the area/type of inflammation you're dealing with too. I too have an auto immune disease, and I juice pineapple (core and all) for it's anti inflammatory properties. I've found Tumeric is amazing, as is ginger. Berries are also suppose to be helpful.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options

LCHF For Beginners
    http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Low carb helped me with my knees big time ! , I couldn`t even walk any more especially during the cold months . I had to use a cane … not just from being over weight but I couldn`t bend my knees much at all , I had very little movement and within just days of doing low carb I was able to walk without a cane . I have not used the can now for over 5 months.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Heard ginger is good
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Lavendar oil. It helps relieve pain, relax and reduce swelling. You can put a 5-10 drops in the bath, or you can put a few drops in some olive oil and rub on affected area. My grandma is an herbalist, so we are always asking her for natural remedies.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Ginger is good....I drink ginger tea I make myself by steeping pieces of ginger in very hot water.

Omega 3 oils from a good source like Nordic Naturals or Carlson's has helped too. For me, if the EPA is higher than the DHA, I feel better.