daughter fell on ice - advice

Options
la8ydi
la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
OMG - I am sooooo mad. Tonight when I got back from getting groceries,my 17 year old daughter came out to the parking lot to help and slipped and fell on ice on the sidewalk. She ripped her pants, bruised her right knee, ripped open and bruised her left knee, and has a big scrape on her left buttock. She broke the pickle jar and the jug of milk. Now...what makes me mad is that I pay a BOATLOAD for association dues (I live in a condo) and they SUCK at clearing the snow and ice. The grouchy old lady down the block from me is suing them for a fall she had last year. Any advice??? (I took a bunch of pictures.)

Replies

• 2014_willbmyyear
    Options
    is she looking to lose weight?

haha j/k not sure sorry i couldn't be more helpful
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Take her to the hospital.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    is she looking to lose weight?

haha j/k not sure sorry i couldn't be more helpful

That doesn't even make sense.

I would called the association and do the same as the old lady.
    You're paying the fees and they aren't holding up their end of the bargain.
    I'd also call a lawyer - but a legit one not one that has the cheesy commercials on ALL the time
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    File a complaint and take the pictures and take her to doc to have them look at her and take that information with u also
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Call Saul?
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Be careful when walking on ice, it can be slippery.

ETA: also be careful when handling hot coffee.
  • la8ydi
    Options
    File a complaint and take the pictures and take her to doc to have them look at her and take that information with u also

Do I need to take her to the doctor for some scrapes and bumps? That would mean I would need to take off of work too.
  • Amanda_S80
    Amanda_S80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your daughter's fall. Taking pictures was a great thing to do. I would call whoever you need to with the association to complain about the poor removal of snow and ice. Make sure they know your daughter fell and that she has injured herself. I would take her to the doctor too.

Good luck.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Definately take her to the ER and document everything
  • j67867
    j67867 Posts: 27
    Options
    first thing to do is to get your daughter medical attention just to make sure she is ok.shes very lucky it could have been worse.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    So monetary damages include a pair of pants, right? I don't think I'd sue over that. :huh: She has some scraped knees. Lawsuit what?! :laugh:

Oops. Missed the pickles and milk. Maybe there's cause for a suit there...
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    1-888-CALL SAM or Fieger Law.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    File a complaint, get her check by a doctor. I think small claims wouldn't be worth your time or money.

My SO slipped on ice and suffered 3 breaks in his leg and dislocated his ankle coming out of a restaurant last March. He has steel plates in his leg and has been severely limited by his injury.. I understand how poor maintenance is extremely frustrating and can cause great injuries, but I don't think there is much you can do in your case.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    OMG - I am sooooo mad. Tonight when I got back from getting groceries,my 17 year old daughter came out to the parking lot to help and slipped and fell on ice on the sidewalk. She ripped her pants, bruised her right knee, ripped open and bruised her left knee, and has a big scrape on her left buttock. She broke the pickle jar and the jug of milk. Now...what makes me mad is that I pay a BOATLOAD for association dues (I live in a condo) and they SUCK at clearing the snow and ice. The grouchy old lady down the block from me is suing them for a fall she had last year. Any advice??? (I took a bunch of pictures.)
    Sue them; what else. You have to rush her to an hospital, let a doc see the injuries and ask for a report in writing, look for some witnesses and go to your lawyer...
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I hate this compensation culture. Look where your walking.
  • JilloftheDead
    JilloftheDead Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Call Saul?

Best response ever.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

If this happened to me, I would take pictures and then take my daughter to the ER and make sure she didn't break anything. Then I would call a lawyer. Maybe the lawyer will advise you to do nothing since she wasn't seriously injured. However, at the very least. the HOA should pay for your daughter's ruined clothes, the ruined food, and the ER visit (or whatever isn't covered by your insurance). The lawyer could write a warning letter that might make them clean up the next ice faster and save somebody else from a fall.
  • djtj14
    djtj14 Posts: 20
    Options
    So monetary damages include a pair of pants, right? I don't think I'd sue over that. :huh: She has some scraped knees. Lawsuit what?! :laugh:

Oops. Missed the pickles and milk. Maybe there's cause for a suit there...

this
  • la8ydi
    Options
    I'm more mad about the fall because it's the responsibility of the HOA to clean that up and make sure everyone is safe. They do a lousy job - which is why they have slips and falls. I'm not one to try and sue them for thousands of dollars or anything - and I realize that a pair of pants and a few groceries aren't worth a lot, but I feel like somebody should put them on notice and have them be responsible for something. It's annoying and frustrating. And I have no idea who Saul is. lol
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    If they are responsible for snow and ice removal, and they failed to do so in a timely manner, then they are negligent. It is reasonably foreseeable that someone would fall.

If you have genuine expenses directly caused by the accident, then I suggest calling a lawyer and suing for damages. By genuine expenses I mean thousands in ER bills, not replacing the pickles and milk :wink: Also don't go for any of this bullcrap 'pain and suffering' nonsense. She slipped and fell, she didn't spend 2 years in Auschwitz.

If you have health expenses that were covered by your insurance, you might tell them, and they may sue to recoup their losses. Note, however, that any payment is very probably going to be recouped by the HOA in increased fees.

If you have no expenses, then I'd just log a complaint with the HOA, and possibly canvas the neighbors for similar experiences. Strength in numbers. If there are annual meetings (most HOAs have them), then make yourself known and speak up there.