Please Help

Options
I have been doing 30 to shred, I have been watching my intake and most days i'm under by about 500 calories. I also make sure i do a min of 10,000 steps every day.

I started this a week ago and I have lot nothing no lbs or inches.

I have over 100lbs to lose

WHY!!!!!!

Replies

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are too high. It's only been a week!

How many calories are you actually eating, being under by 500 calories can be really bad if your goal is only 1200.

What are you eating in a day, your diary isn't open so I can't check it.

Are you doing any other exercise?
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Up your intake by 500. If you're under MFP's goal by 500, then you're under maintenance by 1,000, which could be too much for your body.
    You may also just need some time to adjust. Weight loss isn't linear.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Some stats will help.
    Age, height, weight, activity level outside of exercise.
    How many total calories have been eating every day? Any cheat days or meals?
    Do you accurately weigh and measure your foods?
    Do you record everything you eat?
    Are you just starting a weight loss program, or have you been dieting for a while already?

If you have 100 lbs to lose, and have not been dieting for awhile already, then if you are eating at a deficit, you should have at least lost a few pounds of water weight, if not fat.
  • four_pennies
    four_pennies Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I too have over 100 lbs to lose. I'm working with my doctor, a nutritionist and a personal trainer to get things in perspective for me. I found that I was eating too many carbs. I'm only allowed up to 120g of carbs each day, with the rest being protein/fat. I also drink 3 liters of water every day.

I've dropped 13.4 lbs in 5 weeks and I've lot 1 inch from my hips, but nothing from my waist. Even with that, my clothes are getting too big and baggy.

Try making small adjustments to your carb intake and see if that helps. Whatever you do, just keep working at it and eventually you will see results! You didn't gain the weight in one night, one week or one month, so set small goals for yourself and celebrate even the small accomplishments you make toward your ultimate goal. You can do this!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Up your intake by 500. If you're under MFP's goal by 500, then you're under maintenance by 1,000, which could be too much for your body.
    You may also just need some time to adjust. Weight loss isn't linear.

Why don't you find out exactly how many calories she is eating before you tell her to eat more?
  • keeley1981
    keeley1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm to eat 1520 and then gain about 500 with exercise

i'm 5'5 and weight 240 lbs. 32 years old.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a slow process, the weight didn't go on fast, it won't come off fast. That said, the Shred is a tough workout so your body is probably retaining water in order to cushion and repair itself. Water can mask fat loss and the bigger you are the more water you can retain. One gallon of water weighs eight pounds, so it doesn't take much fluid to alter your scale results.
  • Paulamoloney
    Paulamoloney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    could be building a bit of muscle and muscle weighs more than fat so.... this is what i'm putting my no movement on the scales down too.... good news is muscle increases your metabolism so will work eventually.... in short keep at it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stop expecting biggest loser type results in only a week. in the real world it might take up to a month to see the first fruits of your labor.
    do you have any underlying health issues like insulin resistance or problems with sodium?

as long as you are accurately logging and eating at the calorie goal MFP gave you, then you will lose weight. just give it time
    could be building a bit of muscle and muscle weighs more than fat so.... this is what i'm putting my no movement on the scales down too.... good news is muscle increases your metabolism so will work eventually.... in short keep at it.

no and no.

1. the OP is not building muscle in 2 weeks time from 30 day shred
    2. muscle does not increase your metabolism with any useful amount. each additional pound of muscle burns about an additional 6 calories per day.
  • sassytoni225
    sassytoni225 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great job on your weight loss!!!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I started this a week ago...

Um, this is your answer.
  • cheralynfroio
    cheralynfroio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The last place you gain weight is the first place you'll lose it. So give it time. The waist will start to shrink...time..just wait and see.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    You haven't built any muscle in only a week, so you can check that answer off of the list.
    You perhaps may be retaining some water in your muscles, if you are working out hard enough to make your muscles sore. If this is the case, it should take care of itself in a week or two.
    Still, even with some water retention, you should have lost at least a little weight your first week of restricting calories.
    I assume that you have been eating much more than 1500 cals a day before this past week?
    If so, then you should have lost some.

Most often the culprit is that you are eating more than you realize. Be sure you use a food scale to measure solid foods and measuring cups to measure liquids. LOG EVERYTHING!
    Don't think that because you were 'good' all day, or most days, that you can get away with a treat here and there. They add up. Trust me.
    Also, you probably are not burning as many calories during your workouts as you think you are. MFP and even HRMs can be off on calorie burns, especially for the very overweight. The calorie burns are estimates, based on people with average Body Fat percentages. A high BF% can throw off BMR calculators as well as calorie burn calculators.

Stick 100% to your calorie goal, and add only about half your calorie burns, if you want to eat some calories back.

Lots of things can throw off the scale, including your scale. Sometimes mine is on crack, I swear.
    Take your measurements now, so you can tell progress even when the scale doesn't move.
    Stick with it another week or two and see how it goes.
    If still no loss in another week, then drop your calories 100 a day and try that for a week.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 100 extra lbs. in a week, did you? Give it time. A month or two at least.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

They are not building muscle in one week and at too much of a calorie deficit.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What DebbieLyn63 said ^^^^
  • cheralynfroio
    cheralynfroio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also take your weight divide by 2 and make sure that is the amount of ounces of water you are consuming each day. I eat 6 meals a day. Each meal has a lean protein. I have Complex Carbs with the first 3 meals, one fruit with my breakfast the following 4 meals I add a veggie and my last meal is a protein and a healthy fat. I have healthy fats 3 times a day..ex. 1 tsp natural peanut butter, 12 almonds, walnuts.
    Proteins
    Turkey, chicken, pork (lean) Greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
    Also I only have one dairy a day.
    No sugar except for my morning fruit.
    Complex carbs: sweet potato (1/2), 1/2 c brown rice, rice cake, Eziekel bread (1 slice) quinoa, oatmeal.
    Just throwing this out there for anyone interested in a healthy diet
    Meals
    1.CC, P, F, HF
    2. CC, P, V
    3. CC, P, HF, V
    4.. P, V,
    5. P, V
    6. P, HF
    CC -complex Carb
    P -Protein
    V - veggie (more green veggies than anything)
    HF-Healthy Fat
    F- Fruit
    It works if you stick to it..
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    It is understandably frustrating to start a diet and exercise program and not see any progress the first week.
    No one expects to lose 100 pounds in a week, but most of us lost SOME weight the first week, and she has the right to be frustrated by that, without getting chided for it.

OP, hang in there, you will get it figured out. Just be patient.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The first week or so, people usually see a 5-7 pound drop because glycogen stores are depleted. You maybe didn't see that because you started working out more and you are retaining water to repair muscles.

How many caloires are you netting?
  • JennyKCarty
    JennyKCarty Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 30 to shred, I have been watching my intake and most days i'm under by about 500 calories.

WHY!!!!!!

If you set up your account to lose weight (1lb or 2lb per week) the deficit is already built in so no need to be under by 500 calories.
    Invest in a food scale so you can log as accurately as possible.