daughter fell on ice - advice

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Be careful when walking on ice, it can be slippery.

ETA: also be careful when handling hot coffee.
    I concur.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Take her to do the doc. You need to just make sure everything is ok. Pictures most definitely, and find in the HOA where it says they will address ice issues and consult an attorney. Maybe you can get compensation for the Drs bills.

HOA's are always the first to jump your butt if you do not do something, well hold them accountable for their negligible actions.
  • tracywintn
    Options
    Seriously? Sue someone over a scraped knee and a broken jug of milk? You should be ashamed for even thinking-let alone posting such a question. It's law suits like this that have broken the system-where people with legitimate injuries can't get a settlement for years because the insurance companies are dragging their feet hoping you give up. If she broke a hip-then YES, take her to ER and sue but not just because someone down the road did. I do think a formal complaint to your HOA is in order though.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your HOA bill is so high because they have to pay for frivolous lawsuits.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Well played.... well played.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Sue someone over a scraped knee and a broken jug of milk? You should be ashamed for even thinking-let alone posting such a question. It's law suits like this that have broken the system-where people with legitimate injuries can't get a settlement for years because the insurance companies are dragging their feet hoping you give up. If she broke a hip-then YES, take her to ER and sue but not just because someone down the road did. I do think a formal complaint to your HOA is in order though.

I don't think OP said she was intending to sue. She just said that someone down the road had sued.

And I only suggested suing in the case that there were genuine medical expenses resulting from the accident.

My thought is OP was just asking for advice in engaging the HOA and making it known that this is an unacceptable situation.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Perhaps your HOA bill is so high because they have to pay for frivolous lawsuits.

If they fail to perform the duties they are paid for, and it results in an accident with genuine medical expenses, how is that frivolous?

And I'll point out again that everyone seems to be assuming OP wants to sue. She didn't actually say that.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

If they fail to perform the duties they are paid for, and it results in an accident with genuine medical expenses, how is that frivolous?

And I'll point out again that everyone seems to be assuming OP wants to sue. She didn't actually say that.

If there was genuine medical expenses, I would agree. Barring that, I would be attending Board meetings and considering a campaign to oust the current leadership.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    File a complaint and take the pictures and take her to doc to have them look at her and take that information with u also

Do I need to take her to the doctor for some scrapes and bumps? That would mean I would need to take off of work too.

I think like any other accident you just need to judge the severity to decide what medical attention, if any, is necessary.

A lawyer would tell you to take her anyway just in case, but that's because lawyer.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    Better call Saul. I'm sure there's a "slip and fall" lawyer that would gladly help you out.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options

This^^^

OP: Make sure you include the Sun in your suit. It is surely negligent in its failure to shine brightly enough in wintertime to melt all the ice 24/7...especially in northern states where it seems to be a repetitive issue! I'm sure there have been complaints for CENTURIES! It should be an open and shut case!

(sorry, but really?)
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options

This^^^

OP: Make sure you include the Sun in your suit. It is surely negligent in its failure to shine brightly enough in wintertime to melt all the ice 24/7...especially in northern states where it seems to be a repetitive issue! I'm sure there have been complaints for CENTURIES! It should be an open and shut case!

(sorry, but really?)

^^All of this

Fair enough filing a complaint that your fed up of them not spreading grit when you're paying them to do so but going to the doctors when you don't need to just so you have it on record to sue, taking photos of injuries. PUH-LEASE don't you have better things to do with your time?
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Thank you - I never said I was going to sue...plus I added another post saying I'm not a "suing" kind of person. My question was more about how to handle the HOA.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Thank you - I never said I was going to sue...plus I added another post saying I'm not a "suing" kind of person. My question was more about how to handle the HOA.

Unfortunately this is going to continue. People will just read the first post, jump to conclusions, and then post based on them. Just life on the internet :laugh:
  • StarChanger
    Options
    Well, if you want a slightly less snarky answer, here's mine:

1) You know that the HOA is poorly run, or at least the people they hire are poor at their job (because I doubt the guy collecting the check, is salting the walks). Since you know this, you could try getting involved. It's usually a voluntary position held by one of your neighbors. Perhaps you'd like to handle all the complaints and take responsibility for getting the snow / ice removal done.

2) You know the HOA is poorly run....move.

3) You know the HOA is poorly run....spend the $5 to salt YOUR sidewalk so YOU and YOUR family don't fall.

4) Elderly folks fall ALL THE TIME, regardless of ice. Poor example, and not one to base a complaint on.
  • StarChanger
    Options
    Unfortunately this is going to continue. People will just read the first post, jump to conclusions, and then post based on them. Just life on the internet :laugh:

Because running back outside and taking "lots of pictures" is the normal behavior of people NOT prone to suing....
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Well, if you want a slightly less snarky answer, here's mine:

1) You know that the HOA is poorly run, or at least the people they hire are poor at their job (because I doubt the guy collecting the check, is salting the walks). Since you know this, you could try getting involved. It's usually a voluntary position held by one of your neighbors. Perhaps you'd like to handle all the complaints and take responsibility for getting the snow / ice removal done.

2) You know the HOA is poorly run....move.

3) You know the HOA is poorly run....spend the $5 to salt YOUR sidewalk so YOU and YOUR family don't fall.

4) Elderly folks fall ALL THE TIME, regardless of ice. Poor example, and not one to base a complaint on.

I'm sure glad you said 'slightly'. Sheesh. I'm not sure why everyone has such a problem with OP over this, given that she never said she was going to sue in the first post, then later explicitly said she wasn't going to sue. I'm not normally one to white-knight, but OP is being eviscerated for something she didn't even say.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Call Saul?

OMG. WIN
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Because running back outside and taking "lots of pictures" is the normal behavior of people NOT prone to suing....

It's pretty normal behavior for anyone wanting to make any form of complaint, or insurance claim, or anything of that nature. I take photos of accident damage all the time. It's often important to have documentary evidence of an event.

In this situation photos of the event would add weight to a complaint to the HOA.

And besides anything else OP has explicitly said she has no intention of suing. I can only presume that you are continuing to assume she will, purely so you can continue to rag on her.
  • StarChanger
    Options
    I dunno, I just find complaining about accidents that are pretty much "acts of God" a bit silly. Have you or the OP ever slipped on perfectly dry grass? In sand? On a hill? On a rock? Has your car ever hydroplaned on wet road?

It was an accident. It sucks her daughter was hurt, and thank goodness not badly. But when her post states that she's "mad" and wants to know "what to do?", that pretty much implies that she is laying blame on an entity other than the obvious - Ice / wintertime & her daughter's poor footing. Strangely, the OP managed to walk down the same sidewalk without incident...and I'm going to assume many times.

I think what you are seeing is that MANY of us are beginning to self-regulate a culture that has gone crazy with the blame game and entitlement mentality. If she was walking down a flight of stairs and the stairs broke, yes, sue. Slipping on ice?? Welcome to every walking creature's issue with wintertime.....