I'm doing it again...sigh

Options
I normally don’t post blogs or discussions but in order for me to continue to lose weight im going to have to be honest with everyone.

Usually on a “diet” I end up giving up or sneaking in junk food…eventually I stop all together, gain the weight I lost and feel super depressed.
Honestly im getting like that again, I have been sneaking in my daughters Halloween candy (damn Milky way’s) and thinking since they are ONLY the fun size bars It wouldn’t hurt…no it wouldn’t hurt if I would just stop at 2 bars, but I end up splurging on 5…6 throughout the day.

Im giving up on myself and starting to believe (once again) I can’t do this. I am naturally big bones (no really I am!) and realistically will NOT see anything below 145 lbs without my bones/ribs sticking out and looking terrible. Actually I would be freaking happy with weighing at 170 lbs!

So my question to you, how do you keep motivated???? Losing weight isn’t a problem for me, its staying motivated and believing in myself is what my problem is.

Ok I feel better be open and honest with everyone about this. If I keep it to myself, im not going to accomplish anything…im trying!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Seeing the pounds and inches come off is all the motivation I need. Everytime I think about eating something I shouldn't or skipping my workout I recall moments where I had wished I had already lost the weight! It works because I do not want any more of those moments! I want moments where I have already lost the weight :)
  • reflections
    Options
    I know exactly how you are feeling!

Good for you for getting back up!

I get bored fast so trying new foods and different workouts is what works for me the best. Staying motivated....start with giving yourself mini goals and mini rewards fo those goals. What if you try something different like you just did by writing it down.,,,maybe start a blog.

I get rid of the halloween candy asap! lol That si just me cause I just can't have one or two...lol

Good luck!
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I read your post and it was like it came directly from my mouth. I am very muscular and big boned and over the summer I had lost about 75 close to 80 lbs then I was happy and got comfortable and started eating whatever I wanted but stopped exercising and gained 25 lbs+ back and even though I have still lost 50 lbs I am not happy and I feel just as bad as I did 50 lbs ago. The key to this is not a diet it is a lifestyle maintain control and exercise is KEY. When I was at my goal I was eating things I wanted and having a snack everyday but I was working out at least 30 mins a day and over that period of time I did not gain 1 pound even enjoying the things I love.

I would say keep your head up it is so hard, but you have to look at the end goal and how much healthier you can be, make yourself 1 cheat day a week but don’t go overboard and as long as you workout have 1 milky way a day then put it AWAY and when you eat it make it 10 bites not 2 to consume. Once you start this life style for a month or so straight and lost your first 20lbs those desires will go away because the way you feel in your clothes and when you look in the mirror will overshadow the taste for a few minutes of bliss.

Hang in there I am right here with ya.
  • tristalin
    tristalin Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds so very familiar to me!!! I feel like this time around for me is different. What is different this time??? I have decided that I will only focus on one pound a week weight loss. Before when I have tried to lost weight I have tried to lose 2-4 pounds per week. The first couple of weeks were great, but then the weight loss would stall out. I would not see results fast enough, get depressed, and give up all together. This time I am not allowing myself to get discouraged. If my weight goes up one or two pounds all of a sudden, I know it is not because I am not following my diet and exercise plan...it has to be water retention from salt, an extra hard workout or TOM. I just give myself another few days for that weight to go away. Don't get me wrong...I HATE to see those pounds back on, but I am no longer using it as an excuse to give up! And, there is always the bonus of the weeks where I DO lose 2 pounds or more because I am kicking butt at the gym, but I no longer expect those extra pounds from myself.

With regards to the candy...we have all been there! There are days I eat right up to my calorie limit and I am not completely satisfied, but I make the choice to get busy with something (anything...cleaning the bathrooms seems to work for me!) to kill some time and get my mind off of eating. I am so proud of myself come morning, versus feeling defeated and dissapointed in my self had I chosen to indulge.

Don't give up...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm heading up your way for thanksgiving! (ok, so kindof...Stroudsburg area). Anyway, it is HARD to keep motivated. Log it all in. Even the funsize bars. and the most important thing is to KEEP GOING. You will get nowhere if you stop. If each day you do one thing a little better, eventually it will become easier and you will get healthier. When I started I told myself I would do this for one month. (The short term goal made me stick to it.) When I got to one month (still dragging my feet and whining) I told myself I would do it for one more. After that, I gave myself until the end of the year. It is super slow for me, but I'm stubborn. So, maybe a time goal would help. And let some of the great people on here motivate and support you. Share your struggles and we will encourage and push you along. That's what we are here for!
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs, gave up and gained 2. That is my motivation at the moment. You shouldn't have just ONE motivational factor. Tell yourself...."The only way I can get my next pedicure is if I lose 3lbs, and I don't care how raunchy my feel look" Theres a motivator. "No chocolate for 2 weeks and I can go buy that new CD/book. I was wanting" Also This was given to me the other day and I'm going to copy and paste it to you..............

here are some tips below

1.Have faith that all your hard work will pay off if you don’t give up too soon.

2.Understand that you didn’t gain weight over night so you won’t lose weight over night

3. if you think you will over eat eat in front of a mirror

4.Avoid alcohol

6.hang your new too-small-clothes in the front of your closet where you can see them

7.Distraction - clean the house when you feel like binging, if you still live at home, your mum will be so
    happy about you maybe she'll nagg you less at dinner time plus u'll be burning off cals

8.when you feel like junk food Chew sugar free gum or mints constantly. I am never without one or the other in my mouth. The benefits are endless: it kills cravings, keeps your mouth full so you can't binge, burns calories by chewing

9.Buy a pair of expensive jeans at least one size too small. Try them on right before you eat. You will either not want to eat or will eat less. When you lose enough weight to fit into them properly, reward yourself by buying another pair, again one or two sizes too small.

10.Don't eat in front of the telly that way you wouldnt see all them food ads

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ - When going out, take only the amount of money you'll need and nothing extra. That way you won't be tempted to spend it on food. OR GO GROCERY SHOPPING WHEN/IF YOU'RE HUNGRY.

11.In between each mouthful of food that you eat, take a sip of water. It fills you up and slows down your eating so that you stay in control and the meal doesnt turn into a flat-out binge.

12. Write a note to yourself listing all the reasons you are finally ready to lose weight. Keep this letter with you at all times, for inspiration.

HERE ARE SOME QUOTES TO HELP YOU -

~If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you dream it, you can become it. Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishments.

~No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

~Above all challenge yourself, you may be surprised at what you can achieve.

~I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It was there all the time.
    ~Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

~If you keep at it, one day something that seemed impossible will become merely something very difficult indeed.

~No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively have the power to change.

~My world is expanding as my butt is shrinking.

~You have got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance.
    ~My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitude and the choices I make today.

~You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.

~The only person who can stop me…is me…and I can take her.

~Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.

~Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

~There isn’t a person anywhere that isn’t capable of doing more than he thinks he can.

~Never give up on a dream just because of the length of time it will take to achieve it. The time will pass anyway.

~Never, ever give up!!!

~Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

~To lengthen your life, shorten your meals.

~It’s a lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believe in myself

~Shoot for the moon….even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars

~Winners are dreamers that never give up

~Eat for the body you want, not the body you have.

~It’s never too late to be what you might have been.

~There is no strength without struggle

~One should eat to live, not live to eat

~You can’t change the past but you can change the future

~When you look in the mirror you are looking at the problem. You are also looking at the solution

Don't give up what you want most for what you want at the moment

Most Importantly ----~The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do
  • Lulu2929
    Options
    Staying motivated is so hard. Try to break down your eating plan for just one day. I only think of today. I can certainly stay focused for ONE day. Forget about how long you have to do this for, (Basically forever) - but who knows how long that is. All you have is TODAY make it a day where you do good for your body. You are worth it. We are human and we all screw up. so what just because you screwed up with one (or 6) milky ways doesn't mean you have to keep it up. Get back on target as soon as you can. One day of overeating does not mean that you have to do it again. Focus on TODAY I will eat healthy for myself because I will ultimately feel better about myself both physically and mentally.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    This is an Awesome LIst! Thanks so much, im going to keep this with me at all times.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    Thats one thing i didnt do...is set mini rewards for myself.
    I know exactly how you are feeling!

Good for you for getting back up!

I get bored fast so trying new foods and different workouts is what works for me the best. Staying motivated....start with giving yourself mini goals and mini rewards fo those goals. What if you try something different like you just did by writing it down.,,,maybe start a blog.

I get rid of the halloween candy asap! lol That si just me cause I just can't have one or two...lol

Good luck!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    First I would say stop thinking "sneaking". It kind of sets the wrong mindset. Sneaking sets a negative tone, then possibly you feel like you need to be punished or you let yourself down. As said before, "diet" seems temporary.
    Motivation? I go to the gym every day so when I am questioning whether I should eat something, that ^&)(*^%*$ little voice says, "Really, you want to undo everything you just did?" If I at least eat it, it limits how much I eat of it.
    But when I am bad, I am bad and I kind of take pleasure in it vs thinking I let myself down. It seems to work for me.
  • hellsbell
    hellsbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree, take it one day at a time. If you want to eat some chocolate, tell yourself you can have it any time you want, just not until the afternoon, and when it's afternoon, say to yourself you can wait until early evening and when it's the evening why not wait till the next morning?
    Here's a trick my friend does. She has a once-a -week treat day; without it she wouldn't stick to any diet. You know those little plastic bags for liquids that airlines allow you to take in your carry-on luggage? She eats only what will fit in that bag. So if she wants a fast-food burger it's the only treat she can have as it is all that she can fit in the bag at once. If she wants chocolate or sweets she can get a lot more in :)
    Me, I have one day per month where I eat and drink whatever I like, all day. Outside of that I try to stick to my plan but I don't beat myself up if I go over it from time to time. It's not what I eat 20 days out of the year that matters, it's what I eat the other 345.
    For me, this is the type of monitoring I know I will have to do for my entire life. But I look at it in the same light as a budget. I have to keep a constant eye on my financial incomings and outgoings, I don't know anyone who doesn't. Why would food intake be any different?
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Get the candy out of the house. Give it away. Toss it in the trash.

Track the fun size bars you're eating. 5 or 6 fun sized candy bars does not a failure make.

When you're reaching for food for ANY reason other than hunger, ask yourself why you're really eating. The most common reasons are stress, fatigue and boerdom. If you're stressed, relieve stress another way. If you're boerd, do something else that is fun. If you're fatigued, rest.

Your pattern of sabotaging yourself also suggests that you're not truly ready to let go of the weight. Something about being over weight or having the distraction of a battle with your weight is working for you. What is this struggle with weight distracting you from feeling?

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

Charmagne
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the same.
    But less often and way less portion problems. It makes me feel yucky when I eat crap now! That's what motivates me. If it's nasty for me, then it makes me feel nasty, then that reinforces that I need to eat better and live better. Besides that I'm going to be 50 in a little over a year. I am so much more out of shape than ever and approaching the ages where all that lifestyle gets you back. I can't afford it, I have a kid at home, and I have grandkids. I don't want to mess it up and miss out.

The best motivator is feeling nasty after eating nasty, and feeling good after eating well and exercising. The easier movements without tight clothes that don't fit is the icing on the cake.
  • qtwells82
    Options
    I absolutely love the idea of the snack bag. How clever!
    I allow myself to go over my calorie goal on the weekend, but not over 2,000 calories. That lets me still have the freedom to eat nearly whatever i wanted, just had to watch portion size. That seems to be working for me. Lately its just been more tempting to eat the crap food everywhere (for example Pizza Hut i had last night). Im not sure why i have been more tempted lately. I want a healthy lifestyle and body weight. I just needed this kick in the *kitten* from everyone...Thank you!!!!
    I agree, take it one day at a time. If you want to eat some chocolate, tell yourself you can have it any time you want, just not until the afternoon, and when it's afternoon, say to yourself you can wait until early evening and when it's the evening why not wait till the next morning?
    Here's a trick my friend does. She has a once-a -week treat day; without it she wouldn't stick to any diet. You know those little plastic bags for liquids that airlines allow you to take in your carry-on luggage? She eats only what will fit in that bag. So if she wants a fast-food burger it's the only treat she can have as it is all that she can fit in the bag at once. If she wants chocolate or sweets she can get a lot more in :)
    Me, I have one day per month where I eat and drink whatever I like, all day. Outside of that I try to stick to my plan but I don't beat myself up if I go over it from time to time. It's not what I eat 20 days out of the year that matters, it's what I eat the other 345.
    For me, this is the type of monitoring I know I will have to do for my entire life. But I look at it in the same light as a budget. I have to keep a constant eye on my financial incomings and outgoings, I don't know anyone who doesn't. Why would food intake be any different?
  • BillyLightening
    Options
    Omg I couldn't possibly relate to this post anymore! 5 years ago I lost over 80 lbs and regained it all PLUS another 55. This time around I'm doing it FOR ME and ONLY me, whereas before I did it because I wanted to meet some dork from online in person, and was afraid he wouldn't like me if I was fat. This time around I've lost a whopping 80 pounds, I'm working out lots, and it's completely different. I don't have the pressure of changing for someone else in a certain time frame, and I've honestly never felt so great about myself. I'm big boned and tall like some of the other girls mentioned in this thread, 5'10 and couldn't possibly ever be a size 5 even if I had zero fat on my body. A size 10 would be FABULOUS, right now I'm a size 20 and will probably be in a size 18 very soon. Even though I've lost 80lbs, I still have at least another 70 to go because I was 335 when I started losing in May. I'm pretty new to this site and I'm really liking it so far, lots of beautiful, fabulous ladies. <3
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I normally don’t post blogs or discussions but in order for me to continue to lose weight im going to have to be honest with everyone.

Usually on a “diet” I end up giving up or sneaking in junk food…eventually I stop all together, gain the weight I lost and feel super depressed.
    Honestly im getting like that again, I have been sneaking in my daughters Halloween candy (damn Milky way’s) and thinking since they are ONLY the fun size bars It wouldn’t hurt…no it wouldn’t hurt if I would just stop at 2 bars, but I end up splurging on 5…6 throughout the day.

Im giving up on myself and starting to believe (once again) I can’t do this. I am naturally big bones (no really I am!) and realistically will NOT see anything below 145 lbs without my bones/ribs sticking out and looking terrible. Actually I would be freaking happy with weighing at 170 lbs!

So my question to you, how do you keep motivated???? Losing weight isn’t a problem for me, its staying motivated and believing in myself is what my problem is.

Ok I feel better be open and honest with everyone about this. If I keep it to myself, im not going to accomplish anything…im trying!

The first major step towards recovering from a fall in your eating plans is to take responsibility when you eat stuff you know you should steer clear of, especially when, as you stated, you crave more and more if you have just one or two bars.

I was addicted to chocolate in a big way, I had to cut the lot out, otherwise I would do EXACTLY as you have done, in fact, when I read your posting, it was like reading a re-run of my own experiences before I lost my weight.

Once you take the responsibility for your own fall (which you have most certainly done via this thread), you then need to really look at what you have so far achieved. What a damn shame to let it all go to waste! You're worth more than that and can definitely succeed.

You know which foods, that once you start, you crave more of, steer clear of them, give yourself a chance. Some people can have just the one or two, however, you and me, it's difficult to do that, have the one and think "oh well, I've broken it now, may as well make the most of it!" and the binge begins!

Fill yourself up with foods that are going to do you good and not be empty calories, if you feel fed you may find it easier to avoid or resist the crappy stuff.

Whatever the case, do you really want to go round and round in circles? I know I didn't, I was sick of it in the end.

You can do this, you are not weak and feeble - you just start off on the wrong grub at times and that starts your downward spiral.
  • Ready2lose4ever
    Options
    1. I am doing this so I can have a Tubal Reversal in the next year or so and then have another baby (that's not the only reason but it's the biggest one right now and the most important one to me right now so that is what I focus on). So, I always keep that thought in my mind and when I get down or I eat over my calories I remind myself what I am working so hard for. This is how I stay motivated.

Try to keep some low calories snacks around when you get to where you want something that way it won't hurt anything too bad. I got that piece of advice from someone and it works it really does. Don't give up or don't beat yourself up over this. We are all human and we do make mistakes(I ended up going over my calories last night but I am right back at it today and doing great) and it will take time. This is a lifestyle change. We are all forming new and healthy habits when it comes to changing our lives. We can all do this.