Struggling

Options
Its been two weeks now that I have been diligent about my diet, tracking it and getting some exercise in. I just started using a fitbit to help me move more. Most days my calorie intake is less than the MFP amount and some days I have exceeded by about 100-200 calories (this includes the fitbit adjustment). I weighted myself today to find I have put on about 2 kg (~4 lb) and now am over the 80kg mark. Very sad and disappointing. Cant help but feel like its just not working.

My questions for fitbit users:
1. For the fitbit users: are you all eating into the calorie adjustment coming in from fitbit or should i leave those calories alone?
2. Does fitbit tend to overestimate calories in the gym for step related exercises?

General questions:
The weird thing is that I am feeling stronger when i go to the gym. I also think I am eating better but its just so disappointing to see no change on the scale. Anything else that could be causing this?

Please help!
Anu

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When you say you are diligent tracking food, are you weighing on a kitchen scale (accurate) or eyeball estimating (not accurate)?
  • mengmoua2010
    mengmoua2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Anu,

How much are you eating daily and how much do you weigh? Could you be eating too much calories?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I eat the extra calories FitBit gives me. When I am trying to lose weight, I eat below what it says I burn. Or, I eat the NET amount of calories I have set for myself in MFP.

It all comes down to accurate intake, since you have a FitBit, you can be pretty certain your cardio is on track. The only thing it can't measure is weight lifting or swimming (since you can't wear it in the water).

I suggest a food scale, if you don't already have one.

Please open your diary so we can help.
  • lalonmeg000
    lalonmeg000 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the scale only measures your numerical relationship to gravity. It doesn't measure the past two weeks of you diligently logging calories, or those trips to gym, your hard work and dedication, and most importantly your beauty.

2 weeks feels like a long time, but in the grand scheme of things its very early to really start noticing a difference. You said yourself you felt strong, that is 100x better than seeing a number change. The scale hasn't budged for me in over a month but I am consistently losing inches, and getting stronger.

What kind of workouts are you doing? Could you possibly not be eating enough? Or like fruttibicott suggest, a food scale can really help that initial journey in learning what an actual serving size looks like.

From what I understand fitbit isn't really geared toward measuring accurate calories burned at the gym. If you are looking to log what you burn at the gym I would get a heart rate monitor. Fitbit is designed to get an overall idea about how much you move on a daily basis not calculate how much you burn during an intense workout.

Best of luck (and feel free to add me)
    Meghan
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I second the question about using a digital kitchen scale. Careful measurements can make a difference. Also, make sure the entries in the database you are using are accurate for what you are entering. The ones with an * beside them are entered by users and some of them are wrong, others are for specific countries as nutritional values for say Canada or the United States for a product of the same name could be quite different.

Finally, make sure you use something other than just the scale to measure your progress. Get a measuring tape to measure you chest, waist and hips at the very least. The scale can be thrown off by various things, the most common being water weight. For example when people start new exercise programs or when they increase the intensity of a program their muscles will often retain water, sometimes several pounds of it. It eventually is released, but if a person is depending on the scale alone to measure progress, they would miss the changes.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree on using a scale. I measure everything and if I'm not weighing than I use measuring cups and spoons. It's amazing what you think is a cup or an ounce.
    How much water are you drinking? Your body will retain water if you aren't drinking enough.
    What is your sodium intake? That can affect your weight tremendously.
    Also if you are hitting the gym hard you may have some extra water weight from post workout retention.
    I also use a fitbit nd I don't eat back all the calories. I eat 20% less my tdee and what ever true exercise calories I burn. I leaned to not sync the fitbit with mfp and just log my exercise. I use my fitbit to motivate me move more during the day and see what I am really burning (or at least a good estimate).
    Just some things I have learned on this never ending journey.
    Good luck!!!
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Give it some time. I'm sure there is just something that needs tweaking. If you don't have a lot of weight to lose it may take a couple weeks for your body to adjust. I typically eat back 50% of my calories burned...some days may be more...but thats the average. I wear a HRM...not sure if that makes a difference. Also make sure you weigh and log accurately...sounds easy but it is often overlooked. Good Luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • gmp1981
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for your input. Its very reassuring to get all this advice. By tracking diligently I meant tracking regularly and down to every last bite - but i wasnt measuring on a scale - just estimating - maybe thats what it is. I will start measuring these from today . In looking back at my food diary with a calmer head I also realised that it was more than a few times that I had exceeded my goal calories.

My current weight is 81 kg (176 lb) - I would like to lose 1lb a week if possible. I dont think thats a lofty goal :S

I am drinking atleast 8-10 glasses of water and I dont think I am under-eating. In fact when i switched to fitbit there was a +ve calorie adjustment. I am going to try eating less than the calories alloted after this adjustment and see. I have also shared my food diary in case anyone has time to look through and provide further advice.

I realise the scale is not the be all and end all - I truly do. However, I just felt helpless today when I saw the numbers shoot up. Of course, having read all the posts and also looking at the patterns in my diary, I can see scope for changes.

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and advice. Back at it with renewed committment!