how many calories should you eat a day?

Options
MFP has me at a goal of 1370 calories a day. But when I use calorie counters on other websites its sayin I should be eating over 2000 calories a day! that seems crazy! Looking for advice of how many I should eat a day!

Replies

• pixe_lynn
    Options
    MFP uses a Daily Calorie Deficit when calculating you goals I believe.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Height, weight, pounds a week you want to lose and activity level are important to answer that question. I would bet that you can more than MFP give you though.

I'm a 5'3, 150 woman who is moderately to heavily active. I can eat up to 2,100 and lose .5 a week. If I set my goals to my stats on MFP, I get like 1,500 or something. It's a lot of trial and error until you know how your body burns calories. I would go with the higher number or half way between the numbers and see what happens.

If you are full and losing, stick with it. If you aren't losing -- decrease by a few hundred calories and see what that does.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    It's not a cut and dry answer. Lots factor into the equation such as height, current weight, goal weight, level of activity, exercise., etc. would need more info
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I eat almost 3000 to maintain my weight....
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    With 100 lbs to lose I would be starting at around 1850