Expert nutrition help needed

Options
Hi all.

I've unlocked my diary so you guys can get an idea of my situation. I exercise regulary at a fairly high level for a newbie (at least is exhausts me), and I eat according to some recommendations from friends, online sources, and past experience.

My problem is that, inspite of my best efforts, I don't seem to be loosing weight. I've been hovering at 216 lbs. for weeks. Now, before you ask, my #1 goal is to loose body fat, not weight. I know the two are only loosely connected, but I would expect some drop in weight.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

B.

Replies

• blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you recording everything?

You could eat more! As your goal is 1800 calories, try and aim for that as most days this week are between 800-1300 calories.

Oh and I dont think many of us are "experts".. We just go by what works for us..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You've only been logging a week.

You can also expect some weight gain initially when starting a new exercise program.

Give it more time. Be sure to weigh your portions, and eat back more of your exercise calories. Don't run such large deficits.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    some days your getting in under a 1000 calories.. also get in more nutrient dense foods. fruits, vegs, greens.. beans

give it time .. log honestly, but focus on whole nutrient dense foods.. this is what works for me anyway.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Focus on the stuff that matters first. Hit your calorie goal, hit your protein goal. Eat whatever kind of foods you want to get there. If you want to eat special kinds of foods do so, but not at the expense of those goals.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Either you are not eating enough most days OR you are not logging. Either will not help your goals.
  • Modern_Warrior
    Options
    Thank you all. I've been loggin most everything. Sometimes I don't log dinner. I generally know that I'm still staying well under my calories, and sometimes I just don't eat dinner at all. Everything but dinner is recorded with an almost religious accuracy.

It sounds like I'm generally not eating enough good quality calories. You might see that I have things split at 45% Carbs, 45% Protein, and 10% "healthy" fats. This is really difficult for me to get to.

I'll log EVERYTHING with dead level accuracy in the future. I only want to loose a pound or so a week. The 216 number has been around since I started this adventure about 5 weeks ago. I've only been using this tool for the last week. No weight loss in 5 weeks was a bit unsettling.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
  • mengmoua2010
    mengmoua2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and my advice is you need to eat more fat. With your weight at 216, i recommend at least 50 grams of fat a day. Cutting out too much fat isn't going to help any faster.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Thank you all. I've been loggin most everything. Sometimes I don't log dinner. I generally know that I'm still staying well under my calories, and sometimes I just don't eat dinner at all. Everything but dinner is recorded with an almost religious accuracy.

It sounds like I'm generally not eating enough good quality calories. You might see that I have things split at 45% Carbs, 45% Protein, and 10% "healthy" fats. This is really difficult for me to get to.

I'll log EVERYTHING with dead level accuracy in the future. I only want to loose a pound or so a week. The 216 number has been around since I started this adventure about 5 weeks ago. I've only been using this tool for the last week. No weight loss in 5 weeks was a bit unsettling.

Yes, log everything. Buy a kitchen scale if you don't have one and weigh everything.

10% is way way too low for fats. Fats are essential for brain and neuron function as well as maintaining proper hormone levels. You should shoot for about 0.35 grams of fat for every lb of bodyweight, which puts you around 75 grams of fat a day.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You need way more than 10% fat.