Stuck

Options
So i started exercising and eating healthy the beginning of november and have lost 25 pounds since then, but now im stuck, its been a week and ive been doing the same things eating the same way and im stuck at the same weight what the heck??

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any cardio? I've got my husband doing zumba with me on the xboxone and he's lost 7 lbs from it.
  • Alex_1017
    Options
    Are you doing any cardio? I've got my husband doing zumba with me on the xboxone and he's lost 7 lbs from it.
    yes in the gym after doing weights i run.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    could be a plateau. when i lost 30 pounds in 2012 i had a plateau at 25 pounds too. a few people on here i trusted suggested i take a week to eat at maintenance and then come back to eating at a deficit. that ended up working.

this article by lyle mcdonald gives an explanation of why eating at maintenance/increasing carbs might have worked. basically it has to do with insulin levels. the article is LONG but there are some really good tips and info in there if you're obese.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

oh yeah, i'm also assuming that you've dropped your calories for your new weight
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    "it's been a week".....Your body does not work according to a calendar....Have patience....
  • Alex_1017
    Options
    could be a plateau. when i lost 30 pounds in 2012 i had a plateau at 25 pounds too. a few people on here i trusted suggested i take a week to eat at maintenance and then come back to eating at a deficit. that ended up working.

this article by lyle mcdonald gives an explanation of why eating at maintenance/increasing carbs might have worked. basically it has to do with insulin levels. the article is LONG but there are some really good tips and info in there if you're obese.

oh yeah, i'm also assuming that you've dropped your calories for your new weight
    thankyou for that, but shoot you are definitely right about dropping my calories. Well at first I did count my calories, but it started to become a pain so i just ate small meals instead of counting. But pretty much what iv'e been eating is breakfast: turkey sandwich on wheat bread, lunch: banana or pineapple, dinner: chicken breast with salad or steamed veggies. guess i should lessen the chicken? because a whole one is a decent amount of chicken lol.
  • Alex_1017
    Options
    "it's been a week".....Your body does not work according to a calendar....Have patience....
    I atleast dropped a pound or two a week, thats why I posted this.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

thankyou for that, but shoot you are definitely right about dropping my calories. Well at first I did count my calories, but it started to become a pain so i just ate small meals instead of counting. But pretty much what iv'e been eating is breakfast: turkey sandwich on wheat bread, lunch: banana or pineapple, dinner: chicken breast with salad or steamed veggies. guess i should lessen the chicken? because a whole one is a decent amount of chicken lol.

if you're not counting calories or weighing your food then this could be the issue.
  • Alex_1017
    Options

if you're not counting calories or weighing your food then this could be the issue.
    well since ive been eating the same food/portion size of food should i just lower the portions?
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary or at least tell us how many cals you're eating?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If that is truly all you are eating everyday, then it doesn't appear that you are eating too much for a man your age. Start logging your cals to see exactly what you are eating before lowering your cals. It is not uncommon to stall for a week or more after the first few weeks. Be patient and you will get there.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1) set a goal and count your calories(tdee -20%)

2) weight your food. Don't estimate
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Every time I lose about 10 pounds on MFP -- they lower my calorie intake a bit. Did MFP do that for you too? Also -- your body may have gotten used to your routine at the gym -- maybe switch it up a bit? At first -- I was just walking or doing the exercise bike for a bit and now I take spin classes, run and take strength training classes. I've consistently lost weight and haven't plateaued yet... knock on wood. :)
  • Alex_1017
    Options
    the problem is i don't count my calories :/
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

so start counting them. If you're eyeballing portions and guessing calorie amounts then you really have no idea how much you are eating. Get some food scales, weigh and log your food - then you'll have a better idea of where you stand
  • Alex_1017
    Options
    any scales you recommend?
  • Alex_1017
    Options

so start counting them. If you're eyeballing portions and guessing calorie amounts then you really have no idea how much you are eating. Get some food scales, weigh and log your food - then you'll have a better idea of where you stand
    any scales you recommend?
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I own this food scale and highly recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Silver/dp/B001N07KUE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389582728&sr=8-1&keywords=food+scale

I also recommend beginning to count your calories. It's a chore at first, but there were times I was being loose with my measurements and thought I hit a plateau--in reality, I wasn't estimating properly. Hasn't happened since I started weighing.

Good luck to you!

EDIT: I know you weren't asking me, but I happen to like this one a lot and I know what you're going through.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

^^^ This.