Need good ideas for snacks.

Options
I'm in kind of a weird situation... I don't have a kitchen, and my main source of food (Chow hall) is only open until 6:30 in the evening, so after dinner when I have cals left, I'm kinda screwed.

anybody got any ideas for low cal, preferably high protein snacks? I'm already stocked up on fruit.

Replies

• kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great, I get the damning light and fit kind-80 calories for 12 g of protein and only 7 or 8g of carbs. I dunno if you're a fan of those mozerella cheese sticks, but those are good, only 50 cals each. Protein powder is always a cheap alternative. People think it's expensive because a big tub is like $50, but it comes down to about 70-75 cents per scoop. Mix with a cup of milk, ad it's still only maybe 80 or 90 cents' worth for 25g of protein. Most of the time my snacks are just fruit since my main meals are high protein and I have a protein shake with said powder after my workout for the day.

Otherwise I just aim for low calorie since I have a big appetite. I like the 30 degrees crackers because 9 crackers is only 50 cals, and you could have me with salsa or I mix some pb2 with water and a little salt and eat them like that. Frozen yogurt is a good idea. I don't recommend nuts-they don't have much of anything for protein in comparison to the amount of carbs and fat they contain. Mostly just empty calories unless you have a really small appetite. For example, 1 pecan is 10 calories. Would you rather eat 8 pecans or 5.3 oz of yogurt? Veggies are low cal and filling, but no protein.
  • LetChaosReign
    Options
    So far here's what I've got on my shopping list:

Cottage Cheese (one of my favorites, especially with fruit)
    Celery & Hummus (low in protein, but one of my favorite low cal snacks)
    Greek Yogurt
    Beef Jerky (I know, lot of sodium but I love it)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Cheese
    Ricotta
    Nuts
    Boiled eggs
    Bacon strips
    Luncheon meats (prosciutto , salami, ham, sliced roast beef)
    Canned tuna
    Smoked salmon

Good luck!
  • MrsBrown104
    MrsBrown104 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Popcorn
    Pretzels
    nuts
    yogurt
    rice cakes
    cheese sticks
    fruits
    Those bags of steamed veggies ( assuming you have access to a microwave)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Sugar free vanilla pudding with fruit (fresh or canned). My fav is with 1/2 cup canned pineapple tidbits.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    jerky
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Seafood sticks
    Fish
    Protein bars & shakes
    Veggies
    Mushrooms
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Same as what EllieBoyd1967 said. If you don't have a fridge or microwave…you're really limited to jerky, peanut butter, almond butter, seeds, nuts, protein bars and shakes…that's if you wanted to focus on mostly proteins, as you said in your post. Otherwise…there's a ton of snack items you can buy and keep for late in the evening.