Whats the best macronutrient ratio?

Options
Hi! Im 26 years old and am trying to lose fat for my wedding in August.

I want to lose about 30 lbs and have been learning more about different ratio's of carbs/protien/fat that maximize my efforts.

Right now, Ive started out on 30/40/30 (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fats per day)

Is anyone educated or experienced in this area? Would love some tips and any advice for losing this weight.

(I have started doing cardio roughly 5 days a week and weight training 2-3 days a week again as of last week, after a lazy lazy holiday season .lol)

Replies

• salc27300287
    Options
    Hi -- I"m no expert in nutrition, but for years, I did work as a personal trainer.
    (Don't do it anymore b/c of other work....) Anyhow, it seems like you've done
    good research. There's really no exact right or wrong when it comes to
    macros. It depends on what makes you feel the best. (i.e. Recently, I changed
    my ratio to 40 carbs - 40 protein- 20 fats from the one you presently have
    only b/c I feel better better having more carbs since I've added more cardio
    to my fitness program.) Give your ratios a few weeks -- see how you feel and
    then, if need be, make a change. Also.... make sure your daily cals are
    adequate. Don't undereat, for sure....

Your workout plan is great. So glad you added that strength training -- that
    will really help you lose weight faster and transform your shape.

Feel free to friend me --- I recently joined b/c I, too, struggle with the balance of
    food - exercise -- and good nutrition amidst a busy life. Motivation would be
    great.

Congrats on being off to a good start! Sally
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

I want to lose about 30 lbs and have been learning more about different ratio's of carbs/protien/fat that maximize my efforts.

Right now, Ive started out on 30/40/30 (30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fats per day)

Is anyone educated or experienced in this area? Would love some tips and any advice for losing this weight.

(I have started doing cardio roughly 5 days a week and weight training 2-3 days a week again as of last week, after a lazy lazy holiday season .lol)
    Personally that is basically the same profile I use. It's worked for me for a long time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Calculate your protein and fat macros based on your body weight, (protein = 0.82g per lb of body weight, fat = 0.4g per lb of body weight) and fill the rest of your calories into your carbs. Your body doesn't work on percentages, it works based on amount required per lb of body mass...
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    30% proteins/30% poptarts/40% ice cream.
  • balesalicia
    balesalicia Posts: 80 Member
    Options

Awesome thanks!
    I found this really cool site called IIFYM, and it tweaked my amounts for me. I read your post after and I am pretty sure I get it all. Now Im at a 35/40/25 (carb/protein/fat).
    Slightly different but I have more calories which seem more realistic for "sticking with it" ( i was trying to do the 1200 standard mfp amount + workout added) Im gonna roll with it for a few weeks and see if it works out!
  • balesalicia
    Options
    Calculate your protein and fat macros based on your body weight, (protein = 0.82g per lb of body weight, fat = 0.4g per lb of body weight) and fill the rest of your calories into your carbs. Your body doesn't work on percentages, it works based on amount required per lb of body mass...

Thanks for the tip! I found that IIFYM I keep seeing on here, and tweaked my values to suite me better.
  • balesalicia
    Options

Personally that is basically the same profile I use. It's worked for me for a long time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks! Im sticking to that roughly. It seems to make the most sense to me too.
  • balesalicia
    Options
  • balesalicia
    Options
    Hi -- I"m no expert in nutrition, but for years, I did work as a personal trainer.
    (Don't do it anymore b/c of other work....) Anyhow, it seems like you've done
    good research. There's really no exact right or wrong when it comes to
    macros. It depends on what makes you feel the best. (i.e. Recently, I changed
    my ratio to 40 carbs - 40 protein- 20 fats from the one you presently have
    only b/c I feel better better having more carbs since I've added more cardio
    to my fitness program.) Give your ratios a few weeks -- see how you feel and
    then, if need be, make a change. Also.... make sure your daily cals are
    adequate. Don't undereat, for sure....

Your workout plan is great. So glad you added that strength training -- that
    will really help you lose weight faster and transform your shape.

Feel free to friend me --- I recently joined b/c I, too, struggle with the balance of
    food - exercise -- and good nutrition amidst a busy life. Motivation would be
    great.

Congrats on being off to a good start! Sally

Thank you Sally! I added you a little bit ago :) Glad to be friends!