Baked Blooming Onion!!!!!

Options
1longroad
1longroad Posts: 642 Member
Well, I have never ordered the real thing, as I LOVE onions, onion rings, etc., but I ran across this recipe and it sounds wonderful!!! I can hardly wait to try it and I happen to have panko bread crumbs I want to use!!

Here is the recipe with a dip recipe also:

http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/baked-blooming-onion/

I added all of the ingredients to the calorie counter part of this app, for the onion and the dip, made with nonfat greek yogurt. For the entire recipe, ( except for the paprika, garlic powder and oregano), this is the nutrition information:

With a large vidalia onion:

Calories 511
carbs 59
fat 16
protein 35
sodium 2,987
fiber 4

In comparison to a real blooming onion, which weighs in at 325 calories for 1/6th of the onion, no dip, this is quite a large calorie savings!! If it took both eggs entirely, you could eat 1/2 of this onion and 1/2 the dip for 256 calories!! To me, that is a great calorie savings!! I would be happy with a quarter of this with a burger or baked chicken, any meat and vegies really. It seems like a great 'treat'!!!

Hope someone else will enjoy this also!!!

Replies

• babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to see this. I've done baked onion rings before with only garbanzo flour, and vinegar and coconut milk no eggs involved.It it was delish and f.f. panko of course.....Tthanks for this idea as well..I can't wait to look.:flowerforyou:

Edited by babynew
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    No problem, I hope you will enjoy it!!! I am going to get the ingredients at the store later and make this tonight I think!! Oh, I only entered 2 tsp. of cajun seasoning in to the calculator, as I wouldn't want it that spicey or that high in sodium!!!!
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I need this! Thanks! :flowerforyou: