DDP Yoga success? For obese people?

Options
HI there. I am considering buying a dvd workout set but I'm not really in shape enough to do anything like 30DS or Insanity. To be honest, I've been Sweatin' To The Oldies lately. I want to upgrade to something from this century and I heard some things about DDP Yoga being easier on the body.

Have you got any success stories from DDP Yoga? Is this something an obese person could do?

I am 28, 5'7'', 250 lbs.

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    why not start walking instead? it's free and you once you get in the habit of doing long walks, you'll burn a lot more calories than you would doing a cardio DVD. you can walk at any weight and it will also help improve your health as well.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have not done this particular workout. I'm curious why you want a whole dvd 'set'. Is it because it will tell you which workout to do on each day? It's such a big investment.

I have found that I like variety of different instructors. I like to see if I'll want to watch / listen to that same person over and over. My library has a great variety of workout dvds. Netflix has a great selection as well.

I enjoy the 10 minute solution series. I have their Pilates and yoga dvds.

Good luck!
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    Kind of depends what you are hoping to get out of it. Yoga is great - it improves flexibility, good for stress relief, etc - but it doesn't burn a lot of calories. I'd bet Sweatin to the Oldies would give you a better calorie burn.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    why not start walking instead? it's free and you once you get in the habit of doing long walks, you'll burn a lot more calories than you would doing a cardio DVD. you can walk at any weight and it will also help improve your health as well.

I do walk. A lot. 90 - 120 minutes a day.
  • mama2redhead
    mama2redhead Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 pounds with diet yoga since July. It does work. I could touch my knees when I had my daughter 2 years ago. Now I am much more flexible, stronger, and in much less pain, especially back pain. I did not do this DVD, but started local classes with a groupon.

I also use some off of yogadownload.com.

If you subscribe to their newsletter you can get a free class weekly or so...you may want to check it out.

Another is Benderfitness.com. She has some yoga flows on there that are free. I have not tried them yet to know if she gives modifications or not though.

Anyhow, as long as modifications are given, I highly recommend it. I had to modify some common poses up until the past couple of months. Now I am strong enough to do most correctly.

Just an FYI, I was about 190 when I started classes 18 months ago. I am 158 now. I go 5 days a week if possible. It is doable at your weight, there are bodies of all sizes in my classes!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm a little shorter & quite a bit older: 5'6" and 44. My SW was 236, and I'm currently at 215 (only started MFP after losing a bit). My body is relatively long, but also where I carry my fat. Which leaves me flailing a bit over "simple" yoga moves like grabbing one ankle behind you. And on many crouching positions (like a track start, for example), I can't reach the arm next to the bent leg all the way to the ground. I'm big enough that I get in my own way.

That said, imnsho, yoga is still a great idea as a complement to your walking (and mine!). Here are a few rec, fwiw:
    1. Try the free options (library, netflix, amazon prime) FIRST - and look for "beginner" or "gentle" yoga.
    2. Arm yourself with a flat belt or strap to help you reach. For weeks, I was the only person in my yoga class who had to use one for that grab-your-ankle move.
    3. Get a yoga brick for when your arm doesn't reach the ground.
    4. Be GENTLE with yourself and use the assist items where needed. Don't do poses that are precarious for you. I've had 2 really good class instructors, and that was something they both were firm about. You should not be hurting yourself. For me that also meant working up to a plank pose. Despite being really strong in some areas from weightlifting, my core was too big & not toned/trained enough to support all of me right away.

Take it slow, and enjoy yourself. I'm currently doing some of the Amazon Prime beginner videos, and am finding them quite helpful. There's a ton of free content out there, so go for it!
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'm not obese, but I'm not athletic or in shape at all. I'm sort of skinny-fat.. or average-fat. Besides walking, yoga is the only exercise I do frequently. I want to develop better flexibility and strength before I get into more intense exercise, especially since I've struggled with back and leg issues in recent years. I do Dahn Yoga in a studio and I've never tried at home, but here's a link to something similar: http://www.changeyourenergy.com/courses/378/yoga-at-home
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I've done DDP Yoga. I highly recommend it. It's a terrific way to get your body ready to tackle something like P90X or RushFit.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am doing DDP yoga right now (I just started it on Saturday), and you should be able to do it. There are people who are really big that are doing it. Check out YouTube success stories, as well as teamddpyoga.com for members and you will see.
  • bigpappa1983
    Options
    Aloha! I am 30 yrs old 6'1 and right now at 417 lbs. I started DDP Yoga back in Sept. 2013 and I am at a 89 pound loss so far. The program is incredible. I have some friends who do it with me, mothers with multiple c-sections, multi knee surgery, lower back injuries. What is so great about the program is it really can be modified to fit any fitness level.