Resisting Junk Food

Options
Hi everyone!

My name is Lauren, and I joined fitness pal to maintain my eating habits alongside my workout routine. I love this program so much and the move towards a healthy lifestyle has made me feel great lately. However, I am having a few issues and hope some people may be able to share their experiences with me.

I currently live at home with my parents, (i'm 19) and plan to move out within a year. As a family we generally eat a healthy dinner every-night and never order fast food. However they have the tendency to buy A LOT of junk food. I explained to them that I intended to lose some weight and to eat healthier, however they continually buy junk food and even insist that it is for me. ( So since they bought me the food, I reply "thank you." But truly I feel disappointed about the food,and guilty for being disappointed.)

Of course it is not required that I eat the junk food at all! However, when lying in bed not able to sleep, I just can't resist to slip downstairs and eat a decent amount of the food in that dreaded cupboard.

So it boils down to WILL POWER right? Well that's what I am constantly trying to do...it's a battle that I wish didn't exist. Beating sugary temptations outside the home is hard enough.

Do you live with somebody who eats unhealthy or has unhealthy food? How do you manage?

Thank you for reading! :flowerforyou:
Lauren

Replies

• louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm afraid it is just willpower, I have always struggled with resisting bad food that may be near by but you really do have to step back and remember your goals, remember how bad food makes you feel afterwards (guilty, bloated, sluggish) and refrain. If I feel like I need to eat junk I now stop myself, drink some water and do something to make my mind off it. Or if I do feel like I want it I will just have two chunks of chocolate or a few crisps to satisfy the craving but not demolish it all (which is what I used to do without fail!!).

Try explaining to your parents again and say you appreciate them buying the food but you really are trying to live more healthily.

It is difficult but you can do it, it's mind over matter and you just have to be strong :)!

I also find adding friends on here helps, you can tell people you are struggling or feel like you need junk food and everyone is really good at helping, advising and supporting you!

Good luck!
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I find what works for me is to put the calories in MFP and when I see how much it is and that I don't really have much left for anything else it puts me off having it. Just not worth it sometimes. Once you have got into the swing of things you will find you just don't crave it as much. A treat once in a while doesn't do any harm either though, as if you tell yourself you can no longer have something you will crave it constantly till you give in. Everything in moderation is my moto :smile:

It is hard when there is junk in the house but you do eventually get used to resisting. I have two kids who like their sweets and crisps so they are always in the house. There is also a biscuit tin in work that I never go near. It is down to willpower at first but you eventually get used to not having them and it becomes habit.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am like you, have days where I really struggle to resist the temptation of Junk Food.
    I mean yesterday I turned down a MacDonalds Breakfast although my partner had one, yet last night we both indulged in chocolate!

Again today, I don't normally take the car to work as one of my colleagues picks me up, but today I have to pick up the kids after work so I have the car. I got sent to do some post for work and get some milk from the local shop, just happened to pick up a pasty and munch it on the way back to work!

I don't do it everyday but the feeling of satisfaction from the food doesn't last long and all you are left with is guilt.
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    I always have problems with this too. I have told my partner and my friends at work to slap me (verbally is fine) if I go to eat junk food. If you have just one or two friends or family members who are really good at guilt trips, ask for their help.

Keep reminding yourself why you are doing this. If it works for you, have motivating pictures around the house, or something that reminds you of your end goal (skinny jeans, anyone?). I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it from, but my favourite quote goes along the lines of 'They say motivation doesn't last. Nor does bathing, that's why it is recommended daily'.

Find your motivation, and work on it daily.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things I have learned over the last 19 months, is how to eat in moderation. I have not cut out any foods that I love, but I have learned how much will work in my calories for the day. Many times, I'm not willing to give up my calories for a high calorie food. But if I choose to have a chocolate chip cookie or a hamburger out - I make it fit in my cals for the day.

This is what has kept me sane. It's what keeps me going. I can never go back and eat the way I did before. I know that. But learning to eat normal portions of food has been a lifesaver.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

My name is Lauren, and I joined fitness pal to maintain my eating habits alongside my workout routine. I love this program so much and the move towards a healthy lifestyle has made me feel great lately. However, I am having a few issues and hope some people may be able to share their experiences with me.

I currently live at home with my parents, (i'm 19) and plan to move out within a year. As a family we generally eat a healthy dinner every-night and never order fast food. However they have the tendency to buy A LOT of junk food. I explained to them that I intended to lose some weight and to eat healthier, however they continually buy junk food and even insist that it is for me. ( So since they bought me the food, I reply "thank you." But truly I feel disappointed about the food,and guilty for being disappointed.)

Of course it is not required that I eat the junk food at all! However, when lying in bed not able to sleep, I just can't resist to slip downstairs and eat a decent amount of the food in that dreaded cupboard.

So it boils down to WILL POWER right? Well that's what I am constantly trying to do...it's a battle that I wish didn't exist. Beating sugary temptations outside the home is hard enough.

Do you live with somebody who eats unhealthy or has unhealthy food? How do you manage?

Thank you for reading! :flowerforyou:
    Lauren

You are an adult-if you do not like what is being bought, then why can't you just go out and buy your own food? As for avoiding 'unhealthy' food, I don't give food arbitrary labels of 'good' and 'bad' and instead focus on staying within my calories and macros. Doing so has allowed me to not only lose over 50lbs, but also now maintain that weight loss and be healthy and happy. It had nothing to do with 'will power' and everything to do with learning how to eat the foods I enjoy in a way that fits in with my goals.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I pre plan my days food diary when I wake up in the morning. I plan for 2 snacks at night when I am in bed reading or watching TV. It is the only way I can control my night time snacking without feeling deprived.The only rule is I have to eat them before 8pm. It works for me!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    One of the most important things I have learned over the last 19 months, is how to eat in moderation. I have not cut out any foods that I love, but I have learned how much will work in my calories for the day. Many times, I'm not willing to give up my calories for a high calorie food. But if I choose to have a chocolate chip cookie or a hamburger out - I make it fit in my cals for the day.

This is what has kept me sane. It's what keeps me going. I can never go back and eat the way I did before. I know that. But learning to eat normal portions of food has been a lifesaver.

This is definietly the key! ^^^^

Make small changes that will eventually lead to big changes. I had McDonalds for dinner last week and was still under my calories for the day. I don't eat it nearly as often as I used to but it's nice to be able to eat it once in awhile.

You have to remember that this is going to be a lifestyle change not just a diet. If you deprive yourself of the things you love it's not going to work!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain!!

i live with my sisters who are skinny and yet seem to gorge on biscuits, chocolates and sweets all day.

night time is bad for me so what i do is allow myself a small indulgence every night. it's usually a biscuit or two with a cup of tea. that way it doesn't turn into a huge beast and i dont end up stuffing my face with way more than i wanted!

ensure that you have good alternatives - healthier things which you can snack on. i buy lower calorie crisps, keep dates and popcorn etc for those temptations. sometimes we just want somethin in our mouth.

good luck!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I would go grocery shopping and fill the fridge and cupboards with healthy foods. Maybe you will get them to eat healthier if they see you snacking on apples and carrots rather than junk food. Another great incentive to move out!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This:

And also this (kinda the same thing)

You are an adult-if you do not like what is being bought, then why can't you just go out and buy your own food? As for avoiding 'unhealthy' food, I don't give food arbitrary labels of 'good' and 'bad' and instead focus on staying within my calories and macros. Doing so has allowed me to not only lose over 50lbs, but also now maintain that weight loss and be healthy and happy. It had nothing to do with 'will power' and everything to do with learning how to eat the foods I enjoy in a way that fits in with my goals.

My husband is very fit yet has a sweet tooth & keeps snacks in the house, as he should. He eats them n moderation, and I do if it works for me.
  • YolandaSaez
    Options
    I do live with someone who eats sugary things lol...my husband.
    What I find that helps me is that, I went to the store and bought 2 baskets, one for him and one for me. His basket is for *his* junk foods and *my* basket is for my snacks. His basket stays in the closet up on a high shelf.. I'm 4ft 11in, I can't reach nothing even if I tried and I don't even have a stool to step on, and mine stays in a cupboard.
    What I have in my basket is snacks like...nuts, Special K chips, chewing gum, protein bars. I also have a his and her side for the fridge. Any of our snacks that have to be refrigerated are in their. Again, mine are healthier choices, like apple, pears, watermelon, carrots, broccoli..etc.
    It's all a mater of will power, you know if you eat the unhealthy foods..It's not getting you no where. It's 1 step back from you being healthy. On occasion's it's ok to treat yourself, but if you constantly do it...thats not good.

"If I eat like crap, I feel like crap" a quote that I have branded in my mind.
    Stay strong and fight the urge!
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One thing I make sure to do is to not buy any junk food in my house. I only buy healthy food when I go grocery shopping and leave the junk away so that I prepare myself for success. There are plenty of sweets in my office and outside of the house to tempt me! :) Save the sweets for when you have a cheat meal or want to splurge but I definitely recommend keeping your house clear of them to make it easier for you. When you have those late cravings, you'll find you'll have no choice but to eat fruit or raisins/nuts! Good luck with the move!
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Logging your day ahead of time is helpful, that way, if you skip a snack during the day, you know that you can have something later.
    If you do grab junk food, measure it, and don't stand around eating in the kitchen. It's too easy to just grab a "few" more chips or cookies.
    I find the busier I am, the less likely I am to snack, so maybe start some sort of hobby that fills up more time so that you aren't just sitting or lying around thinking about food.

Once you stop eating so much junk/limit it, you're less likely to want it so badly or at least not feel the need to overeat it. Even just a week of being REALLY diligent about not having "junk" and you will not crave it as badly, or at least get your "fix" with less.
  • miceyl
    miceyl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All the men in my house like junk food and it is hard to resist sometimes. Rather than never have anything, I am just honest. I count it. When I see in my diary how many calories these things are as opposed to healthier options, MOST times you will pick something better next time. I find myself stopping at one cookie now, because it just isn't worth it. But sometimes you just want a real cookie and it's more satisfying than searching for other things to "scratch the itch". It is troubling that your parents are buying it "for you" but food has a lot of emotional ties for people....
  • mschurr2014
    mschurr2014 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. My entire family is overweight (ranging from slightly to obese) and they don't really care much at all, especially my dad. There's always cookies, chips, soda, and candy lying around somewhere and it can be so tempting. We're always ordering pizza and Chinese too, which are some of my favorite foods. At first it was really hard to fight my dad on it and convince him that I need to lose weight and I want to be healthy, because he makes fun of me when I go on strict diets. Try buying yourself some 100-calorie snacks, they're probably not the best thing for you but when you're tempted to grab the cookies, grab some Special K Cookies & Cream 100 cal snack bars. It's all about will power and weening yourself off, if you immediately cut out all of the junk food right off the bat, you're more likely to cheat. If I have a good day and a great workout, I allow myself to have a serving of organic Milk Chocolate PB bars, so maybe try rewarding yourself like that! Good luck
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Lauren,
    You never know if parents are trying to support you, sabotage you, or just don't understand. You can't control them - you can only control your reaction to them.
    You might want to try suggesting foods that you would like to have. "Mom - could you grab grapes and bananas next time you shop??" That way if they're trying to nurture, they're doing it in a better way.

The other part is just will power. I've heard people say it's a MUSCLE, not an organ you have. So you have to get it out and exercise it. Sounds funny, but I think they're right. At first, it's hard. If your body is used to sugar and fat like mine is, you CRAVE all the yummy bad-for-you foods. You think you're starving and just have to eat something. Well, you don't. You can train your body to LIKE and WANT and CRAVE other options (fruits and vegetables) and your body WILL get used to it. I find that I am getting more used to not eating sweets all day. I still don't like it. And it's still really hard. But it's not quite as impossible as it was a week ago.

All the lectures about long-term changes and every little change is a change for the better is true.
    If you can do ONE THING RIGHT each and every day, then that is more than you did before.

You can do it Lauren!
    :)
  • telorobaby
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the amazing replies! I have never posed something to fitness pal before and was blown away by the amount of helpful responses. As mentioned, monitoring my food and buying healthier snacks are great ways to prevent a late night binge or even in the day. I look forward to the days ahead and thank you to everyone again for the kind and helpful support!
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Make small changes that will eventually lead to big changes. I had McDonalds for dinner last week and was still under my calories for the day. I don't eat it nearly as often as I used to but it's nice to be able to eat it once in awhile.

You have to remember that this is going to be a lifestyle change not just a diet. If you deprive yourself of the things you love it's not going to work!

This ^^^ ^^^^^ both posters.. is EXACTLY right! I have found this to be the case in my situation as well. It is impossible to cut out particular groups of foods, or LIMIT them drastically. Not only is it impossible, but it is not healthy. There are some on here that are insisting they know the right way. But their methods are short-lived. They are not going to last long term. We must learn to discipline out eating habits by SELF CONTROL and PORTION sizes.. not "out of sight, out of mind." That is not realistic IMHO!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

This ^^^ ^^^^^ both posters.. is EXACTLY right! I have found this to be the case in my situation as well. It is impossible to cut out particular groups of foods, or LIMIT them drastically. Not only is it impossible, but it is not healthy. There are some on here that are insisting they know the right way. But their methods are short-lived. They are not going to last long term. We must learn to discipline out eating habits by SELF CONTROL and PORTION sizes.. not "out of sight, out of mind." That is not realistic IMHO!

I respectfully disagree. I am living proof that it IS possible to cut added sugar completely out of my diet and I am much healthier for it (and it has been over three years). It has been the right way for me and it is the right way for everyone who has leptin resistance (which precedes and predicts insulin resistance, if nothing is done to stop the progression). Sugar consumption tracks perfectly with the rise in the prevalence of obesity. I eat VERY well and see no need to include junk food in my calorie allotment. We are much more than our appetites.