breastfeeding and weight loss

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for a while, and I'm extended nursing my son, and wondering if that is affecting my lack of loss. My son is 19 months old, and nurses on average 4 times a day (so not a lot) but I've hit a plateau I've been on for several months and just can't get past it. Any advice would be welcome.

Replies

• TristaVan
    TristaVan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing too and I started actually putting weight back on. I count everything I eat but unless I excercise my weight stays the same or I gain. We probably just have those body types that retain fat so there is always some available to burn to create milk. I hear it happens to a lot of women I guess you just have to be patient and keep working at it.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If anything I think it would be helping you because it burns extra calories! What are you doing for exercise? A lot of people hit plateaus because they don't realize they need to switch it up and essentially confuse their bodies! After awhile your body gets used to it so try switching it up and see if that works :)

How is your sodium? Do you drink soda or juice?? Get enough water??
  • Aledari
    Options
    My son self-weaned at a year old and I found nursing him to be awesome for weight loss. I lost all my pregnancy weight in that year. Maybe your plateau has to do with the age of your child? Even though you are nursing him several times a day he is getting most of his nutrition from outside sources and may not be drinking as much as before so your body is not making as much and not burning as many calories. Just a thought :-)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Some women hold on to body fat a little more than others while nursing, but I'd suspect that it would be unlikely if he's only nursing 4x/24h. I would go over your calorie intake/intake goal very carefully to see what's going on.

FWIW, I also thought I was just one of those women who couldn't lose weight while breastfeeding (and in fact had gained since my babe was born!), and then I decided to really take charge and it's just falling off. You can absolutely get this on track!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    are you eating back your exercise and nursing cals? If not, your body may be holding on to fat thinking since you are not getting enough food to cover all these functions it must keep it so it can still produce milk when the food runs out.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    1st of all congrats on still nursing! I too am "officially" extended nursing my 13 month old (When in actuality, 12-24 months is COMPLETELY "normal" And below the world "average age" ;)

I too have found it so hard to lose weight while nursing, in fact, after my daughter was born, I put ON 25 lbs during those 9 months nursing an average of 8x a day....

Add in more cardio, grab a baby carrier (I love my moby, told the Ergo is much better) and go for a brisk walk every day (wish I could but too chilly now lol) The extra weight is good for burning more, and it will usually help keep an eye out on your posture.

Definitely make sure you are getting in a glass of water during and in between each nursing session, plus some if your not drinking at least 64 oz a day. I try to drink one bottle of water per session, one per workout, and one per meal.. (key word-TRY)

Also, I found I didn't start actually dropping any weight until I started focusing more on getting fit instead of weight loss..

Best of luck!
  • nessieslc
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm running for exercise, and get in 3 good runs a week, usually.

I only drink water, and I drink about 8 glasses a day, but I can try and up that.

I'm not eating my exercise calories generally, so I can try that. I would just hate to see any weight start to creep back on :)
  • Honey329
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I'm running for exercise, and get in 3 good runs a week, usually.

I only drink water, and I drink about 8 glasses a day, but I can try and up that.

I'm not eating my exercise calories generally, so I can try that. I would just hate to see any weight start to creep back on :)

You'll know within a week or two if eating back your burned calories will jump start your metabolism. If you don't see good results from that change, try shaking up your exercise routine or possibly zig zagging your calorie intake. Some, myself included, see nice results when changing things up a bit. If I hit a plateau it has been pretty easy to break by treating myself to a good ole fatty meal or two, then go straight back into healthier choices. Kind of tricks my metabolism out of being sluggish, that's my best thought on that subject...

Good luck to you! And pat yourself on the back for a job well done on extended nursing.