Chicken Stock/Broth

Options
I made my first homemade chicken stock/broth (not sure which) with chicken bones, sage and water last night.

I have no idea what to do with it.

I'm not a huge soup fan.

I'm Paleo.

Any tips?

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    quart sized containers freeze it...find someone who makes chicken and wild rice soup.....seek long term soup stock relationship, do NOT I repeat do NOT mention bone in the first date. Best of luck.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you can use broth in place of water in pretty much any cooking recipe - if you just want to add a little flavour - freeze your stock in ice cube trays - when frozen, tip into a zip lock bag & pop in the freezer - when you are sweating onion/celery/capsicum/whatever at the beginning of your meals - pop in an icecube or 2 & leat that evaporate out too - you will just be left with a little flavour boost :)

(i think it is great for everything - but a fantastic way to add a boost to quiche, scrambled eggs & most egg dishes really - just fry with the onion and bacon till it is evaporated :) )
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot? If so, throw a pound or so of chicken breast and pour two cups of broth over it. Let it cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Pull apart with fork for shredded chicken when done.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The sage will give it a very particular flavour, so you might want to go with laursoar's recommendation to use it for a casserole / stew - pork is also good with sage

In the future, you might want to try just onion, carrot and celery as the stock flavouring, they are standard and very good. Then leave the stock to cook until it becomes thick and sticky, it'll take a while, but it's worth it. This will keep in the fridge in a sterilised jar for a few weeks, or freeze it in small portions. What you have is a chicken jus which is amazing on cooked white meats and poultry or just veg. It's what lots of posh restaurants use as a sauce.

Leave the salting til the end as adding too much at the beginning can make it overpoweringly salty once reduced.