Embarrassed to

Options
admit that this is probably my 3rd name change on MFP. I keep joining and deleting myself when I realize that nothing is happening. However I must admit that I have not helped much to make things change - I have a general idea of what to do to effect change but I know deep in my heart I am not doing it. I log when I feel like and when things start going downhill I stop. This weekend is a good example of that. Time for things to change - time waits on no man/ woman:) I am not happy with the way I look and I can either spend the rest of my life bemoaning the fact that I dont like how I look or actually do something about it.

So here I go again. I am reaching out to the MFP community - those who are just starting, those who are already on their journey and those who have reaped success and have started the new journey of maintenance. I am 43 year old wife and mother who lives in the Caribbean and is ready to shed the weight and live life.

Replies

• happychic
    happychic Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is my fifth or sixth go around with MFP. Please don't delete yourself if you fall off the wagon. Just start over when you catch yourself. I have found it helpful to make MFP friends for support. We all understand the struggles of losing weight. It's great to help each other through the rough patches and cheer each other through the successes. You can do this!!
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It is a new day. Good luck to you! Add me as a friend, if you'd like. I'm here everyday.
  • meowmisu
    meowmisu Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I keep falling off myself but feel like this time is different. We got this!
  • misscoastal
    misscoastal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    At least you keep on trying! Good for you. None of us are perfect and trust me, I often fall off the wagon so to speak, but it's about picking up where you left off and trying again. Good luck. We're right here with you :-)
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking maybe 100 times before it stuck. We get a bit smarter and a bit stronger every time. Good luck!
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Way to not give up! Personally, I find that having someone to hold me accountable helps -- I def. agree that having friends on MFP is a big help. Feel free to add me!
    I also find that weighing myself too often drives me crazy -- my weight is going to fluctuate up and down from day to day. I find if I only weigh myself once or twice a week, I can better see my overall progress and ignore small daily fluctuations. Another thing that helps me -- only doing the calorie goal 5 days out of the week, and allowing myself two days off to indulge *a bit.* You may have to experiment a bit before you find a regimen that works for you, but keep at it!! You can do it!
  • luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 55, been thru the menopause 10 years ago and maintained my weight till i stopped smoking. Its been 3 years and for some reason the last year i have packed on the pounds. This is my 3rd time back but no matter what i need to forge ahead . i wont be getting many chances to get rid if the 30 lbs i have gained. My weight is interfering on my whole life. I am a saleswomen who is out in the streets of NY running up and down train stairs, and its getting harder and harder to do. I do not feel romantic with my partner because i feel so unattractive. My cloths do not fit and i wont buy bigger ones! All of these ways things have gotten me to this point. I will continue even if i fall down. I need support and i am here to also support! so lets seize the day together!
  • Guinevere_22
    Guinevere_22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Remember; practice makes perfect! Just think of each new attempt as a step towards the best logging. Keep positive about it, even when you don't make it, just keep focused on your end goal. Good Luck!
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I want to quit smoking but I'm afraid to because I've heard of the weight gain when you do it. (Also the stress level going up....) I'm 28 and am starting to hate smoking, but it's such a bad habit that I can't stop it. :( My friends who don't smoke think it's so easy to just give up cigarettes...I wish they could know how it really is.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Hey you keep coming back and thats a positive...good luck to you!
  • cursiny
    cursiny Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Gotta start (or restart) sometime...somewhere...

Any one can feel free to add me
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I think you will find there are many of us that have stopped and come back. I refuse to delete myself and start new, I just add my new high weight and start from scratch, happy that my MFP friends are mostly still here.

I keep forgetting that word that I tell people they are - oh yeah - HUMAN! Never beat yourself up for something, always pat yourself on the back for trying again. The more you beat yourself up, the harder it is to stay motivated. The more you pat yourself on the back, be proud of yourself, the more motivated you are. I started again on MFP two weeks before Christmas. I did great for two weeks, then I had a horrible week between Christmas and New Year's, but I logged all of my food - I would have been way worse if not for logging. The point is, because I was already still on here, I got right back on my routine right after my bad week.

Welcome back, you deserve to be here for you. I have been "back" on here at least five times since October 2012.
  • luvclay10
    luvclay10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i quite 3 years ago after 40 years of smoking! i could never quit before and as you said was worried about gaining weight (which i did, when i stopped MFP logging! so if you want to quit and realize if you stick with this program you will be aware if you are turning to food verses the smoking) don't use gaining weight as and excuse. You have alot on your side, first your age, over 50 and menapause its tougher.
    I gained my weight only this last year because i was not doing the right thing! as for the smoking i went to a Dr. his name is Dr. Frank Nasso he is in Staten Island NY it cost 230.00 he is a chiropractor and he did a process called auricular therapy, this process is like electric accupunctor, 3 zaps in each ear and i never smoked again! i feel wonderful and now that i am losing weight i feel even better go for it don't waste anymore time. its is the best thing breathing!
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That fact that you keep coming back means you still have the longing inside for you to be a better you. Congratulations for that! Good Job! Feel free to add my and I'll shed inspiration whenever I can. I'm on daily. That goes for anyone else as well! Have a fantastic day peeps!
  • WoodsyMama
    WoodsyMama Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Do not despair! I, too, have come back to MFP a few times and figure one of these days, it will really stick and I'll reach my goals. My sisters have joined me in my quest to lose weight this time around and knowing they are trying hard every day is a comfort and an inspiration for me, too.. So......GO FOR IT, SISTER! Hang in there and don't beat yourself up. One day at a time. Good luck to you and to all of us who are on this website sharing our wins and losses.
  • danielamariaxo
    Options
    You keep coming back.. and that's all that matters. That means you haven't given up! Feel free to add me.. I'll be here to motivate you, or anyone who needs it!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You keep coming back, which is positive. But I humbly suggest you need to figure out the reason you keep failing, and do something differently.

Are you setting an impossible calorie goal, and then giving up when you can't meet it? Try a lower deficit for a slower, but more consistent and long term loss.

Are you trying to attain a 'perfect diet' in one shot? Cutting out all the things you love to eat in one swoop, then rebounding big time when the cravings get to you? Try taking baby steps. Focus on reducing calories gradually at first, then learn about macros, then increase your fruit and veg intake, then if you must, try for any sort of lifestyle diet like clean eating or paleo or whathaveyou. Just remember that failure at any point it not failure at all points - you can take a step down to the previous level and still see success.

Are you going gung-ho on exercise, then failing to keep it up and labeling yourself a failure? Try easing into exercise. Walking a couple of miles a day can make a massive amount of difference if you were previously on the couch. And workouts don't have to be dull grinds in the gym - you can dance, play a sport, swim, run around with kids, anything that gets you moving.

Whatever the reason, try to isolate it and decide what needs to be done differently this time to succeed.
  • Sarasota_Guy
    Sarasota_Guy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I totally understand how that is! But you keep trying, and that's the main thing. It's going to work, eventually, because you're showing will and desire. Best of luck!!! :)
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey I fell off before and am trying again...that's all we can do...it helps a lot to record everyday...I took some pics of myself and started a weight loss folder and I am printing out my food reports every day and i'm hoping that will help me to stay on track more! Good luck!