Is too much Protein bad?

Options
I am doing really good with staying in my limits of Calories, Carbs, Fat and Sugar, but I am constantly going over in protein by like 25-30. Is this a bad thing? Why do I constantly want more and more protein? Is my body lacking something and trying to tell me something? I take a multivitamin every day. Not sure what to do here, and help would be appreciated.

Replies

• pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets the protein goal a little low, so maybe readjust to decrease your carbs slightly and increase your protein. Especially if you're exercising a little extra is good. Just make sure you're not going WAAAAAYYY over.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    MFP's automatically generated numbers for protein are ridiculously low.
  • TheCredibleHuIk
    TheCredibleHuIk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think MFP sets the protein goal a little low, so maybe readjust to decrease your carbs slightly and increase your protein. Especially if you're exercising a little extra is good. Just make sure you're not going WAAAAAYYY over.

She can go WAYYYYY over on protein if she wants, it is not harmful.
  • EmmaReed84
    EmmaReed84 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No, more protein the better if anything.

Providing there is not an underlying health issue, then protein is generally okay,

I have say, these answers do annoy me a tad, I have Kidney disease, so it is not always the case that more is always better... The only reason I knew I had a kidney issue was because I have had it since being a child, however, people can have kidney disease and not even know it until they are close to failure!

So again, providing you do not have any health issues which are affected by protein, then go for it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein limit is way to low, especially if you are in a deficit. I suggest you change the % or try to double the goal they give.
  • austinmeredith
    austinmeredith Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm with the hulk guy. You can go over on protein and by going over just 25-30 grams is more than fine. You have body builders consuming 250-350 grams a day!
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to gain lean muscle and lose fat you can initially eat 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight. The when in maintenance mode, 1.5 grams per lb.

Just drink plenty of water to help clear the kidneys.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Depends on your diet needs. If you are trying to follow a low carb diet or if you need to watch your carb intake to help control your sugar because you are diabetic then yes to much protein can work against the benefits of the low carb diet. From the looks of your diary I would say you are not following a diabetic diet nor following a low carb/keto/paleo type diet so going over on protein should have no impact for you as long as you don't have some other outlying medical issue.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein estimate is low. Very low. Even with my PCK risk factors, I'm fine at 1g protein per pound of body weight... so yes. You can increase.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Aim for a daily goal of 1 gram of protein per pound of lean mass. For most women, that is 120. So refreshing to read your post! Yay!
  • SgtZabka
    SgtZabka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Proteins are the building block for everything in the body, so no there is no such thing as too much protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP, MFP's protein level is too low (I'd say WAY low but don't want to offend that guy). If anything, it's recommended to eat more protein so you don't lose too much muscle. I'd switch your goals to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein.
  • losoldato
    losoldato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No. Anything your body doesn't use it will dispose of in your waste. How much protein you need is based on your goals, but you're free not to worry about too much.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    MPF's protein is extremely low and a lot of people use carb control to drop weight, it's a good method. The only time too much protein can be bad is if you have weak kidneys, which would be something you go over with your pdoc when you decide to change your diet dramatically. Sometimes it can cause bathroom problems too, but drinking a lot of water an counter balance. :)
  • runningindigo
    runningindigo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Check out this protein calculator http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
    It can provide a rough estimate of how much protein you should have daily based on age, sex, activity level, and height. However, like some of the other posters stated, just be mindful of any health concerns you may have. Other than that, check out the calculator!! :-)

Have a good day!!

runningindigo
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Generally MFP calculated protein quite low IMO.

You'll need to calculate what you need for your personal circumstances.

I use:

1.2 X your weigh in lbs = your protein needs in grams per day.

From what I understand, you could use anything from 0.8 - 1.8 (sometimes more) just depends on your activity levels.
    I find 1.2 works for me (I work out about 5 - 7 hours per week) and my macros etc, but it all depends on your goals etc.

This is all in my opinion of course, I'm not an expert!

Hope this helps.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My opinion is as long as you are getting protein from multiple sources such as quinoa, legumes, fruits, vegetables, nuts in addition to meat you should be fine. But I wouldn't recommend eating nothing but meat to get your protein. Causes too much constipation which as we all know it takes longer to digest meat than any other protein source.

I always go over on protein. Between 125-160 a day.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    MFP's automatically generated numbers for protein are ridiculously low.

This.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While I am ok with discussions based on actually science through studies, you still have to follow the forum rules.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP is rather low on protein. Ideally .8 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass is good. Anything over is not really necessary. All this pending you don't have health issues.

Here is some good information on protein:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1158604-eric-helms-protein-research