Do you tell people about MFP?

Options
MorgueBabe
MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
I was in walmart yesterday (I hate shopping there but I live in the mountains and it was the only place in town to grab a laundry basket) and the woman in front of me was buying this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nutrisystem-5-Day-Weight-Loss-Kit/24093693
It made me sad.... and I wanted to tell her she didn't have to eat that horrible looking food.

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone I know about MFP, because I don't really like airing out my private life to people I know. But strangers are fine. :tongue:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I should get a T shirt from Mike that says 'ask me about MFP' I tell everyone who will listen! :laugh:
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I don't go preaching about it, but if I'm talking health and weightloss with someone, I'll often mention it.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    if/when people ask me what I'm doing to lose, I tell them. But I would never randomly strike up a conversation with a stranger just to bring it up.
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I do! I don't tell them my username usually, but a lot of people do know about it so when they ask me how I lost so much weight, I tell them I used this site.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    If someone happens to ask me, "How do you do it?"
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Agreed! If people ask me how I've lost so much weight, I tell them about MFP and tracking my food and exercise. But I don't just randomly bring it up, and I don't invite my "real life" friends to friend me on here. This is my personal world where I can complain, brag, ask dumb questions, rant - you name it - without judgment.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have if it comes up in a converstation but most I have told already knew about it.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I work in a store that sells diet supplements and pills- It takes every ounce of energy I have to not slap them out of their hands.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When people ask me how I lost weight, I tell them I use an app on my phone to log everything. If they ask, I tell them the name of the app, if not, oh well.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    First of all, gorgeous GSD! Love them!

Second, I am the type of person who runs up to them screaming no no no no, have you heard of MFP? Here let me show you, then commence to opening the app and scanning something with a bar code.

But that is my personality. I was born with the sales gene, I could talk a dog off a meat truck so it is normal for me to feel comfortable talking to people. Also being told to skat, mind my own business or go away does not hurt my feelings either, especially if I feel like I have planted a seed.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Anytime someone mentions a desire to lose weight or get fit, I tell them about MFP. I'm VERY happy to brag about it to anyone willing to listen, but I don't start random conversations about it.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't go preaching about it, but if I'm talking health and weightloss with someone, I'll often mention it.

This. Especially if someone is complaining about how they did some juice cleanse or ultra-strict diet, lost weight, then started eating normally and gained it all back and then some.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I should get a T shirt from Mike that says 'ask me about MFP' I tell everyone who will listen! :laugh:

Me too!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about mentioning MFP. I'm just now starting to have people notice my weight loss and inevitably someone is going to ask me what exactly I did. On the one hand, I would like to be helpfull if someone asks. On the other hand, discussing nutrition and weight loss is like discussing religion and politics. People can't wait to debate with you about it and I would just as soon not. On the other, other hand, if I mention MFP specifically, I might come off as if I'm a shill for a diet program.
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If weight loss comes up in conversation, which it frequently does because my husband and I have both lost 100+ lbs. Our daughter, son, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, niece, and a few friends are on here.

My husband is worse about it than I am, because he's never been on any kind of weight loss program before. I on the other hand, have been on a "diet" since the day I was born. (Literally--I weighed 12.5 lbs. when I was born, and the doctor told my mother that I was too fat to nurse. Put me on a diet of skim milk and apple juice. That definitely would not happen today!)
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I told a friend about it who was also trying to lose weight. After signing up she basically berated me and said I was crazy and obsessed with weight loss. Her view was it is too extreme to log everything and anyone who does must be obsessive or have an eating disorder. *eye roll* So, now I just keep it to myself.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone I know about MFP, because I don't really like airing out my private life to people I know. But strangers are fine. :tongue:

This is so me :laugh:
  • bloggymomx
    Options
    I actually liked Nutrisystem when I was on it and still have some of the dinners in my cabinet however I didn't find that I could be on it long term because it really limited what I was allowed to eat, IMO. I would just doctor the food up so it tasted a little better. It helped me out when I was in a place where I didn't have the time to really cook. :) Just thought I would add that in!
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I talk to my husband about m f p and he's really supportive. He's a foot taller, 7 years older, and a dude- he's happy that I have support from people from all walks of life that have something in common with me and my goals.