Plus Size Workout Clothes

Options
Hi! From NE Iowa. Does anyone know where to get good workout clothes?? I mean the kind that my belly won't jump around so my pants fold down, and shirts that don't go up??? Long enough to cover my butt....or tees with sleeves that actually cover my upper arms??????
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bethelles_now

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Sadly when i was a 3x I used to shop the mens section ! Their clothing covered more ! It was not about getting a nice cute fit but just something that I could get into and covered me well.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Wal-mart (I know, I know) has some nice danskin tops and pants that stay in place for me (2x). The Just My Size tshirt are also longer in the waist and come down below the hip for me. I managed to also snag them all for dirt cheap which is even better. :) Good luck!!
  • bethelles_now
    bethelles_now Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I didn't think to look in the mens section. And i just get sick of my flab bouncing out of my clothes when i work out!!!!!! and thanks for the idea of danskin...
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Fashion Bug online has nice stuff, also try Goodwill.
    Avenue has a lot of workout clothes online as well as Old Navy. old navy has the compression clothing too.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    junonia.com has plus size work out clothes.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    kmart has nice plus yoga pants (2x 3x) ... and I always just buy a pack of hanes tshirts from the mens side (cheaper and they dont run up on you)
  • DianaBinOR
    Options
    I was just thinking about asking this exact question! :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    lanebryant.com has an "active" section, and even includes some plus sizes from "regular" brands like Reebok. Also, check out Old Navy online, too, they have a "Women's Plus" section, sizes 16-30, that includes activewear. I had some Old Navy workout stuff at 2X and it was perfect.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree about Old Navy. They have some pretty good compression workout gear, and they go on sale quite often. They also stay in place and the pants don't seem to roll down at all. I generally find I can go a size down with them as well( usually L but ON stuff I stick to M). When I was wearing 2X, I found the XL perfect.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Apparently Lane Bryant has workout clothes now too - received a flier from them in the mail a week or two ago.

I mostly wear big t-shirts and sweatpants or knit capris/shorts. For the t-shirts I just go with whatever I've got for bigger shirts in my collection or use one of Hub's old t-shirts. The advice to shop men's is great - they're a lot longer so no worries about the belly peeking out, especially when you're doing anything that invovles raising your arms. For the pants/capris/shorts, more recently I've gotten these at Kohl's.

I'd also suggest checking consignment and thrift stores. I've found some pretty decent workout gear that was like new, if not new, and super cheap!
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get mine at WalMart. Lane Bryant's are nice, but I have a really hard time dropping $50 on a pair of yoga pants. WalMart's Danskin line has several styles of pants that are compression-style that stay up well for me and I'm a 2x. I think the last pair of pants I bought were $12.
  • mitzvahmom78
    mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have bought some very nice workout stuff from Kohl's recently. Champion also has a small selection of plus-size items. Their t-shirts are nice and long, but a little skimpy. Nordstrom and Junonia also have nice things, but they're very expensive.
  • bethelles_now
    bethelles_now Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone what good ideas!!!!!
  • sydnyemalyne
    sydnyemalyne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FILAS!!!! You can get it at Kohls, Its cheap, its surprising can take a beat (Crossfit and running) and the the tanks are LONG. I prefer tanks even though i have big arms. I dont get as hot. Their runing stuff is pretty fitted but to be workout clothes should be tight to your body to allow it move unrestricted. Plus I found that even as a "Big Girl" in the gym, nobody cared NEARLY as much as I did about what I wore. Go with what fits, allows you to move and ISNT COTTON!!! Cotton holds sweats, weighing you down, and can cause you to chafe really bad. Always try to find a synthetic material that wicks moisture away. FILAS does a good job of this.

DONT SPEND THE MONEY on Nike Dry Fit or Underarmor until you're down to closer size where you want to be. Its just not worth the price if your size is planning on changing, especially dramatically.