Walk away the pounds?

Options
I just did a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Lbs video: 3-mile walk / 45 minutes. Should I calculate this as walking at 4 mph in my exercise diary? Under that, it says I burned 252 calories. That seems like a lot, although the video included jogging and I guess what could be considered low Impact aerobics. I am 43, 5'6 and 148 lbs. if that makes a difference. Does 252 cal sound about right?

Replies

• amandarunning
    amandarunning Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me - perhaps even slightly on the low side- but better to err there!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    sounds right.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sounds right! I have a few friends that use her program and log as that!
  • SundayGirl1989
    Options
    Yeah sounds about right.
    I use this to calculate the burn from doing Leslie Sansone.
    You just add your weight, the miles and the time taken, and then it calculates an approximate burn for you :)

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • kristle00
    kristle00 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Always calculate things that are not apart of your daily routine. You wake up, go to work, do regular things, but any workout, even if it's walking that you plan....LOG! I'd suggest getting a Heart Rate Monitor. I got a wrist watch one where you enter in heigh weight age etc.. and during your workout you touch it to check your heart rate and it calculates calories lost specifically to your stats and your heart rate. It's way more accurate. I'll go to the gym and get on the elliptical and it'll tell me I lost half the calories my HRM said. When in doubt it's always to think you burned fewer calories than you actually did but I like to know exactly how much and try to work harder next time to beat it and then i know how much effort i'm really putting into my workouts!
  • brandivestal
    brandivestal Posts: 2,637 Member
    Options
    You are doing more than walking with these workouts. You are doing knee lifts, kicks, using your arms. It technically should be under Aerobics. It is an Aerobic Workout
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I agree you should get a heart rate monitor, but you HAVE to get one with a chest strap (along with the watch) study after study shows they are the only accurate ones! Non chest strap HRM's tend to show higer cals burned than you actually burn
  • KPMP1992
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I record Leslie Sansone workouts as low impact aerobics. They are definitely more than taking a walk around the block if you use the weights and do the kicks, etc.
  • kballard66
    Options
    I use her program too. Here's what I found. Hope it's helpful. http://www.walkathome.com/exercise/calorie-burn-per-mile/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I just did a Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Lbs video: 3-mile walk / 45 minutes. Should I calculate this as walking at 4 mph in my exercise diary? Under that, it says I burned 252 calories. That seems like a lot, although the video included jogging and I guess what could be considered low Impact aerobics. I am 43, 5'6 and 148 lbs. if that makes a difference. Does 252 cal sound about right?

4 MPH is a bit of an over statement. There is the warm-up & cool down ....those are a slower pace. Some Leslie miles are faster than others....some Leslie miles use boosters (weights) .....I've compared low impact aerobics to my heart rate monitor......pretty close for me.

MFP guesstimates are "genereous." I would plug in a slower pace.....or plug in low impact aerobics & choose the lowest value.

Re: walks with boosters ......this is helpful:

http://www.walkathome.com/exercise/calorie-burn-per-mile/

kballard beat me to it............good info!
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that someone else does her workouts!! She is awesome and I get a pretty good burn from her. If you are doing three miles in 45 minutes then it is a 15 minute mile for each. That is about 3.5 to 4mph of walking. If you do the one that has the intervals where you "jog" for a while and then walk the rest of the time, I count that one as low impact aerobics. But the calorie count sounds about right. Great job!
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sounds right - I have the 'Map my walk' app and i go walking most days - I burn roughly 100 calories for each mile
  • mindybell1983
    mindybell1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also do her workouts and I put them as low intensity aerobics