Mom in her 40's starting C25K & having trouble losing weight

Options
I've started C25K today and am reminded quickly #1 how out of shape I am and #2 how I'm not 20 something anymore. I want to run my first 5K on March 22 here in my home town. It gives me a goal. I've found it hard to stick to something unless I have a goal in place. I'm at my heaviest right now and not enjoying the extra 50lbs. It's very hard for me to diet because I have several food allergies including ALL nuts, ALL berries, ALL shellfish, among some others. It's extremely frustrating when you put weight on and extremely hard to get it off at my age I'm finding out. I've tweaked my diet the past 2 or 3 weeks and didn't lose a thing. Instead gained weight. I'm hoping with the C25K will help me lose and myfitnesspal will help me track better what I'm putting in my mouth. I don't want to start any weight training just yet. I do have great muscle memory to rely on when I do weight train. Wish me luck and any advice or ideas are welcomed.

Replies

• Vol7
    Vol7 Posts: 57
    Options
    I started c25k today also good luck
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    hey guys i have a group that a few of us in it are starting th c25k tomorrow.. if you want to join for extra support. some are walking it some are running it, but were going to support each other.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability
  • Vol7
    Vol7 Posts: 57
    Options
    I joined I'm did day 1 this morning plan is Sunday, Tuesday, Friday. Want to try a 5k at the end of March.
  • nataliejulie
    Options
    Listen... We may not be in our 20's anymore (I'm 31), but that doesn't mean we're more fit than a 25 year old. I've been running at least 4x's a week for 3 miles, have lost 34lbs. in 3 months and can actually touch my toes... My 25 year old cousin? She probably couldn't run across the parking lot.
  • MamaDubbs65
    MamaDubbs65 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Just adding a word of encouragement - I'm 48 and haven't been fit since high school. I started Ease into 5k (BlueFin app) in November. It's taken me some time due to life getting I the way, but I'm nearly finished and can run 30 minutes at a time now. When I started, I could barely get through a 60 second run. I feel great and have so much more strength and endurance! A few words of advice:

Follow the app's instructions and give yourself a rest day in between work out days. This is very important to allow time to heal and avoid injury. I often take 2 or 3 days off as needed because I'm 70 lbs over weight and have arthritic hips. Listen to your body!

Trust the app! You will feel like you can't do the next day but will be surprised when you do. These apps work - believe in them.

In contrast to what I just said, if you feel the need to repeat a day, there is no shame in that either.

Try not to focus on the time. 90% of this is mind over matter. Your body can do more than you think!

Hydrate!!

Have fun :D
  • todayis4me
    todayis4me Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am 37 and did c25k last summer, ran my first 5k in Sept!! and guess what I was faster and more consistent then some younger people, age is a number just like the scale, do not let it define you!!!! I try to run every other day. Signing up today for my second official race, March 15. Good luck and I welcome any FR's especially for runners!!!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    While running starts out to be physical, a lot of it is mental, no matter what age you are.

If you tell yourself you can or cannot do it, you're probably right.

Best of luck to you all starting out...I've been there. :drinker:
  • rockstar53
    rockstar53 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You and I sound very similar ! I keep thinking about starting the C25K but that's as far as I go! LOL! I will start tomorrow morning, but will definitely need some support and accountability along the way!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Debbie, take it one day at a time. I never ran, had previously tried (and failed) and wasn't sure if I had it in me to run. C25K changed that. The program works.
    Best tip I ever got: slow down. If you can't make it through a training session, slow down. If you can't carry on a simple conversation while running, slow down. If your legs feel tired, slow down.
    Here is another group for C25K runners for you to check out. It is active and very supportive:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-
  • Katrina090
    Katrina090 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Age means nothing! I'm 23 years old did the first of the couch to 5k and was shattered by the end of it lol :)
  • Charmarie0627
    Options
    I did the same thing two years ago. Be patient...if you keep at it, you will feel better with less pain and more energy. After about 8 weeks into the program I started to lose and continued till I reached my goal. I still run/walk 5ks with my kids and nieces And feel great to finish! I should run more, maybe then I could beat them
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    C25k is a great way to start...its how I started last Jan.. getting there by march is totally doable...just dont worry about how fast your going..just get to the finish.

if this motivates you...when i started i couldnt do the first interval without being completly winded...ive done 3 half marathons since then...with 11 miles between my longest continuous run before walking.
  • hopedangling
    Options
    I hear ya!! I'm struggling too...not 20 anymore and can't work off the five pounds in a day kind of thing...I quit drinking alcohol for a month, am on like day 12 and have gained a pound. I like goals as well and have a 5 k planed too and an obstacle course run in Sept - Dirty Girl - so need to gear up!! Sending you friend request!! And welcome!