Need Some Half Marathon Advice

Options
Dear Experienced Runners,

Here's the deal. I'm currently training for my first half marathon, but I'm a little ahead in my training schedule. Specifically, I have an extra week between the end of my training schedule and the actual day I run the HM. I was thinking about using this to give my body a little extra rest the week before the race, but I'm also a little worried that if I step back too much it will make the HM seem really long and grueling on race day. If I followed the schedule exactly, I would run 10 mi the week before my race and I would like to step that back to 6 or 7 mi ( I would still run the 10 mi, but it would be about two weeks before the race). Is this a bad idea? General thoughts?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Adding to my topics to check advice.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your training schedule should have a taper week, which is a little less demanding the week immediately prior to the race itself.
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I trained for mine, I gave myself some extra time due to being nervous that things would come up, not wanting to rush it, etc. I did my 10 mile 2 weeks before my race then tapered to 6 miles the week before for my long run. I only did one short run per week the whole time as I was crosstraining with boot camp the other days. I wouldn't do the 10 mile 2 weeks before then do nothing until the race, but I would taper down for sure, you dont want your legs tired for the race. Just my personal opinion!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Tapering before a race is perfectly normal and i'm surprised your plan hasn't got a light week in it the week before the race
  • zandrapulis
    Options
    Tapering down to 6 the week before is typical. You'llhave fresh legs for your half. Good luck and have fun!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with what you are proposing. My last run the weekend before the half was 8 miles and I will continue that on future HM's. You won't lose much fitness that quickly.
  • kc8055
    kc8055 Posts: 4
    Options
    The schedule should have a taper week, but you do NOT want to eliminate running completely before the race. I try to run four or five half marathons a year, and I can tell you that you need to run that last week. A couple three miles runs during the week are sufficient enough, but you can go as much as five das that week without any repercussions. Congratulations!! It's a great achievement!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I've run 8 half marathons using Hal Higdons training schedules, both beginner and intermediate. You don't need much of a taper for a half. What i've done in similar situations is repeated the last week to fill in. Twice i've actually run 13 miles the week before the race, but i was in great shape when i did that.

It's your first half, so your adrenaline will be through the roof, especially when you see mile marker 12. Relax and enjoy it!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Don't cut running completely, but tapering is a good plan. A 6-8 mile long run is great the week before. You can do some 'sharpening' runs as well (intervals, or a run with a few miles at your goal pace),but nothing crazy or too strenuous.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    My first half I think I did like a 5miler on the wednesday/thursday just to give me that piece of mind that I'd done something before the big day. Some people go for a short one the day before because they can'y hold their nerves (personally I don't do this), it's a case of trial and error, find what works for you and if it doesn't then next time change it.
  • bananahb33
    bananahb33 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! Lots of great advice. I am actually using the Hal Higdon program which allows for a couple weeks were you ease back but not right before the race. I will definitely be running the week before, just wanted to make sure I wasn't throwing a wrench in the works. :)
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have used Higdon. The long run the week before my half marathon is 12 miles. After that, I will run 3-4 miles until Thursday or Friday and then I rest. I don't find that I really need to taper but for a few days before my half marathon.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are using one of Hal Higdon's plans. My wife and I typically schedule one extra week into his plans so that we have room for "life". Illness, work, travel, etc always seem to get in the way at some point over the several months of training. When that happens, we back off that week to an easier one from earlier in the plan. The next week we pick right back up where we left off. If we make it through a 12-18 week training plan without an event getting in the way then we typically add a medium to higher volume week two weeks out and complete the final week as scheduled. Good luck with your raced!