Exercise Trackers and Motivators

Options
I was looking into buying an exercise tracker but I was wondering about some actual real time reviews of the products instead of those on the dealer's websites.
I'm looking at the Fitbit and the Jawbone wristbands and any products that you use that may not have the advertising budget that they do.

Now I'll bet they work generally as far as functioning, but do they work in general as far as you USING THEM?
I've seen more treadmills and bikes with clothes on them than I've ever seen being used, so is it a waste of money? a gimmick?

I've got the nike+ run app but that doesn't mean I ACTUALLY RUN. (It just added a trainer schedule thing so I'm going to try that out though)

I think the vibration would be useful while I'm studying to get a vibration to get up and do something else for a while but if I wear it for a month or two and then I get bored of it, I just wasted a solid hundred bucks.

All I'm asking is if it ACTUALLY motivates you and is addicting because for $100 I need it to be on me 24/7 and really addicting and fun to use and keep track of.

Like I said I want user experiences with the products, but if you don't have one and have a question feel free to ask, I'd love to consider your concerns about the products as well.

Replies

• Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I find the FREE fitocracy app to be very motivation. It's a smartphone app, and there's also a website. You enter your work outs into the app and you get points for it. You unlock achievements, you can go on fitness quests, and the more points you earn, the more you level up. It's like an RPG game.

Don't spend your money on gadgets. No little nicknack is gonna make you want to get up and work out. That has to come from within.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy my heart rate monitor. I have the Polar FT4. It tracks workouts, and is a great way to see how much you're actually burning.

I am a runner, so I also track all my runs on MapMyRun. It's awesome as it shows how you're improving, and also can log while you're running and you can use the same route on different occasions to improve time, etc.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar heart rate monitor also. It gives a more accurate calorie burn number that the machines at the gym or the inflated numbers on MFP. It was one of the best investments I've made.
  • pinkfanatic68
    pinkfanatic68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I look forward to my birthday on Feb. 4, because my parents are getting me the fitbit zip. Yay me! :bigsmile: The fitbit gets great ratings. My last pedometer died last month.
  • bmp1967
    bmp1967 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have the Fitbit Force and enjoy having it as part of myfitnesspal.com program. I find that I constantly look at it to see how many steps I have gone at various points during the day in order to remind me to gain additional steps by walking here or there. It seems to be working for me versus a pedometer (which is not very efficient), and it automatically synchs with myfitnesspa.com.
    Good Luck