• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Retaining lean muscle. So lift weights.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Is there anything you can do if you can't afford any weights (and have no room for them), and don't have a gym near you?

I hear of everyone on this forum raving about lifting weights and how amazing it is and I just get frustrated because of the fact that isn't a viable option for me, even though I want to start strength training.

Yes it is! Weights are nothing more than heavy things, and heavy things don't have to be barbell-shaped. You can do a one-arm row with a gallon of milk to work your upper back, or hold it between your legs for extra weight for plie squats. Use canned foods for bicep and tricep work, shoulder presses, or for chest flies. Load up two grocery bags with books or other items, and do lunges, or upright rows. There are tons of body weight exercises you can do, and holding anything increases the amount of work. It's not glamorous, but it works. There are also adjustable dumbbells on the market that you can vary the weight, so you don't have weights lying around everywhere, if that's something you can work into your budget.
  • Dreamsfly
    Options
    Hi.
    Exercise and diet. They're both important. As you see though, diet without exercise, you end up skinny fat.

If you don't have room for weights, how about cans of soup to begin with A bag of rice. Ten pound bag of potatoes. There are a lot of exercises that you can do by holding onto the bag.