Truvia vs. Splenda

Options
2»

Replies

• BeckyKoyle
    BeckyKoyle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    NEITHER!!! They are BOTH artificial and processed. I would not put either of these things into my body. Check this out: http://www.foodrenegade.com/is-truvia-healthy/. You are best to stick with raw honey, or if you need sugar, use Sucanat, which is a completely unprocessed form of sugar that has all the minerals and molasses from the original sugar cane. I try to steer clear of all sweeteners in general, but if you NEED sweets, this is the best thing I have found. You can order sucanat in bulk from Azure Standard, but to buy it in small quantities, like at Fred Meyer, it is very expensive. All they do is extract the juice from the cane and then dehydrate it. When you use it in recipes, you need to blend it up with a food processor or vitamix, so it is more powder form, because it doesn't dissolve like processed sugar does. But, I have made many awesome things with it, including whole wheat brownies, cookies, cheesecakes, etc, and its tastes AWESOME!!! It is not the same thing as evaporated cane juice, or demerera, or "sugar in the raw," those are still very processed. I am allergic to processed sugar, and artificial sweeteners, and THIS is the only sugar that doesn't give me a headache. I think it's because it contains the minerals and molasses and it is unprocessed. Now, Stevia in it's true form is BETTER than this, but TRUVIA is NOT Stevia in it's true form. It is extremely processed. Stevia should be green, NOT white. So, if you want to find stevia from a healthfood store, you are more likely to find the real deal, or Azure Standard or Trader Joes might have it. I would try to stay away from anything that is processed or artificial. Good luck!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the bleach, BUT I've been reading a book called "Skinny *****," where they talk a lot about the ingredients/chemicals in different foods. In Splenda, there are trace amounts of arsenic. Arsenic!? What the heck... lol. I couldn't believe it. But, they book recommends Stevia... which I think is very similar to Truvia.

... and I like Splenda. :grumble:

If you're worried about the trace amounts of arsenic in Splenda, don't accidentally swallow apple seeds, they have trace amounts of cyanide.

That aside, I am part of the 'better living through chemicals' group, so I strongly believe that people should choose what they feel is best. If you're an 'all natural' person, go with it. Though I don't really understand why 'all natural' is considered best when there are a lot of dangerous 'all natural' things out there. If you don't care, go with that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I assume that everyone who stays away from any processed foods or artificial sweeteners, also abstains from drinking alcohol, correct?
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Definitely!