My parents scales are giving me two very different numbers

Options
Today I weighed myself on both of my parents scales (out of pure curiosity) but the two numbers had a 17-11lb weight difference.

I tested both of them twice
My mother scale:
1st test: 90lbs
2nd test: 93lbs
My fathers scale (I mainly use this one to weight myself):
1st test: 107lbs
2nd test: 106lbs

since the change was so drastic I tested them both with a 15lb weight. My fathers scale came up as 15.6lbs and my mothers came up as 11.4lbs

Which scale do you think I should trust? And do you think it would be a better idea to buy my own scale or what should I do? they are both digital scales.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Well, your fathers scale is close to being correct, so why would it be difficult to make a choice. Regardless of what any scale says it's the reduction of weight over time that you should be worried about and how you look in the mirror, right?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would go with your father's scale (since it's the closest to accurate) or get your own. When it comes right down to it though, all that really matters is you weigh consistently - meaning the same scale around the same time of day with about the same amount of clothes (or none) and about the same amount of food/waste in your system.

For example, a lot of people weigh in the morning, after using the toilet, before they get in the shower - so no clothes, not much or any food in system, same time of day.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    What brand/model of scale are these? I'd definitely get your own considering the major difference in readings, but I'd be more apt to trust your father's scale if you truly used a 15 pound weight considering his was closer, albeit a little over.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Neither one and I highly recommend you stop weighing yourself. The weight range you are in scares me, especially since your profile says you hate your body.
  • ziggyc
    ziggyc Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    pick whichever one you like to use and stick with it for consistency.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Neither one and I highly recommend you stop weighing yourself. The weight range you are in scares me, especially since your profile says you hate your body.

^^^^^This. Stay away from the scale.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself on your Aunt's scale.
    Weigh yourself on your Uncle's scale.
    Weigh yourself on your 2nd cousins scale.
    Weigh yourself on your Neighbors scale.

Add all the numbers together and divide by the number of scales used to find your average weight.

Or you could pick just one scale, use the same scale consistently and treat it as a baseline measurement.