heart rate?????

Options
anyone advise me on what my heart rate should be?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Anything above zero is good..........:laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though, I'm assuming you're referring to maximum heart rate while exercising etc?

The only way to determine this with certainty is to undergo a stress test, however there are some formulae that (unlike 220-your age) are reasonably reliable that can be found with a search on Google. Many of them will need your resting heart rate (check it when you first wake up in the morning.
  • Gamer_2k4
    Gamer_2k4 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is in the mid 50s, but I'm a young, reasonably healthy male. Lower is better (I hear marathon runners can be in the 30s), but a good resting heart rate is probably between 60 and 80.
  • jpcrockett1
    Options
    Do you mean your resting heart rate, your training heart rate, etc? This is a good place to start: http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html
  • tmhatten
    Options
    Hi -
    I only know because I recently became more "knowledgeable" about my own. I also purchased a heart rate monitor watch.

220 - Your Age = Your Max Heart Rate

I am 40. My max heart rate is 180 (220-40 =180)

Now, what are your trying to achieve?

Weight Loss? If so, it is recommended that you exercise within 55 to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate for at least 20 to 30 minutes to get the best results from aerobic exercise.

That is 99 beats to 153 beats for me. I usually workout from 120 - 140 bpm.
    This is a very basic calculation. There are better calcs on the internet.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    i just bought a watch monitor but it has no instructions or info really and i want to lose weight and get healthier.

i started insanity last month and it felt like my heart was in my head pounding so hard and fast, so thought i better get a hrm to keep a check on it plus count my calories burned , walking running etc. too.

my resting heart rate is 75

walking around the house its 125

walk up stairs it over 233 ???? cant be normal surely???

im 39 next month, 222lbs and 5ft.9.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

Check that the monitor is working correctly by comparing it to your wrist pulse. Here is how to check it:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/258118.php

Check it after walking up the stairs and post your results.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My max is like 198-200. My resting is between 65-70. I set watch to that. I also workout in 90% -- 95% of my zone during Insanity. T25 had me at a max of 181 and avg if 171. Im not killing myself there either.

Evwryone is different.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options

Check that the monitor is working correctly by comparing it to your wrist pulse. Here is how to check it:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/258118.php

Check it after walking up the stairs and post your results.

thanks for that link.. gonna go get an m.o.t. at the doctors to be on the safe side too ;)