Supplements?

Options
My boyfriend wants to start taking supplements. Im against supplements. We are on a limited income, and i feel that this will further add to the strain. I think everything should be done the natural way, and that if you use supplements or aides of any type (even if they are the type you are suppose to cycle through and stop taking for a week or two here and there), that it messes with your metabolism (ie when you stop taking them you cant get same results). When working out, i get so much energy from the work out, why would i need more brought on by an aid? And when I eat well, i get tons of energy as well and feel great, motivated, etc. Am i missing the point of a supplement? I agree he does need to increase his protein (he eats cheese, nuts, cottage cheese, meat, eggs, etc, and still doesnt get enough according to his mfp charts), and needs to increase his calories because his burns are so big, but is a supplement the way to do this? I want to eat natural, and switching everything from lowfat or sugar free to more real items to avoid any type of chemicals; try only buying things with things i can pronounce and know what they are, and very limited amount of stuff in a box or bag or container.... and i think it would really bother me if i were to see him using supplements and seeing amazing weight loss results that are brought on with the help of something else. I lost 115lbs in just over a year without a single aide and just watching calories.
yay or nay on supplements? how do i live with someone wanting to share a life with this person that wants to do something completely different (i thought we were in this together)? How do i not resent the additional cost of an aide im against? If we get this, then if it costs lets say $30 a month, then thats $30 less for food--and then i wouldnt get enough to eat and need to change how im eating so he does better... for people who take supplements--is $30 a month a low or high estimate? im pulling that number out of the air... id like to hear pros and cons... im just at a lose, it upsets me when he starts saying he wants to try supplements, how do i get past that? I just dont understand the need

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    What sort of "supplements" are you talking about? Steroids? Protein shakes? Vitamins? Hydroxycut?

When I hear the word "supplements" I think of vitamins which aren't bad for you and fine to take.
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, supplements alone do NOT "mess with your metabolism." If you believe everything should be done the natural way... well, good for you. It sounds to me as though you equate pre-workout and protein powders with steroids on some level, which is absolutely ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with supplements when used correctly.

I'm stopping now because there would be way too much butthurt, but seriously. Educate yourself on the subject matter before forming an opinion.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Depends on what he wants to use in terms of cost.

For me, I spend 50 on whey powder, 30-40 on pre workout, 30 on post workout plus 20 on creatine.

In reality, for a newbie all they need is protein until they have a solid base of training, which would be measured in years.

You seem mad because your boyfriend doesn't want to do it your way. He has to find his own path.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend wants to start taking supplements. Im against supplements.

how do i live with someone wanting to share a life with this person that wants to do something completely different (i thought we were in this together)?

It sounds like you have bigger issues than someone taking a little something extra in the hopes it will improve their goals.

Not everyone will get to their "goals" the same way, or doing things exactly the same. If budget is really the concern, sit down like adults and talk about it.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ok... You are against Supplements...

can you please spell it out a little more for me? Supplement is such a broad word.

My husband and I BOTH Supplement. We don't take the same things, 1 because of goals... 2 because of macros.... and 3 because of allergies and contraindications. We're able to do it within our budget and could, if we chose, even cut the monthly cost lower by switching out preferred brands in lieu of something cheaper that has the same general formulation.

Monthly we spend about $225 (buy in bulk so I just factored it all out to an approximate "per month" cost since some items are 90 day supply, 100 training days, etc)

$16 on vitamins. That's a multi for each of us, fish oil for me (allergy for him) and flax for both
    $7.20 on BCAAs.
    $8.75 for Spike which he takes, contraindication on my part
    $190 on protein powders. Like I said, we COULD cut this down. I prefer Muscle Milk, he is on Monster Milk since that good old Cytosport has been a staple for us for years. And also out of preference Biotest Surge is the go to recovery.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My income level is over half of his. we are low income. i have to work overtime to bring in spending money. so, telling him its fine if he buys it with his own money only works if he doesnt need any of mine to survive... like i said, if we buy this, then it cuts into our food money--so if it costs $30 then thats $30 less in food; this isnt a food supplement but a addition onto his food in take if i understand it correctly, so then now, we are looking at having to buy less food, and me eating less (when im eating less than 1500 calories a day as is even on days im lifting), sooo now i need to cut back my calories so he can have the supplement... the logic of that doesnt make sense to me. If the cost is $50, then thats an entire weeks grocery's--meanign no fresh vegetables that week, no restocking the eggs that week, no anything else, other than what we bought the week before. I could work more overtime to pay for his supplement, but what are the benefits of supplements?

supplements, meaning the pre-workout, post workout, rip fuel, animal cuts were ones he mentioned... i looked up animal cuts, a bunch of ingredients i didnt understand, including stuff that flushes your water out, when in my opinion you need water to lose; and reduces your appetite which again, messes with your metabolism--you stop taking them and your body doesnt know how to naturally curb its appetite, etc. also, if it suppresses his appetite--he's already not getting enough calories... how does this help him? My doctor told me that even vitamins were unnecessary with the way i eat because i get plenty from the foods im eating, and that taking vitamins were redundant and i end up paying for vitamins that im just pretty much pissing out because your body can only use so much. Animal Cuts is 21 days for $35.00 (sale price), then take 7 days off, and start over.

is there is better stuff he could be taking that doesnt cost as much? what should he be doing? im willing to compromise, but taking a completely unnatural thing with side affects and links to causing cancer isnt cool... he's 5'11", 270lbs, 35yrs old, ex-marine, wanting to train for a marathon, and be 180-200. When he works out, he spends 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical, and then lifts weights for awhile trying to build muscle.

i know im sounding like a ***** the way i put it, but he said he wanted to eat well, he said he wanted to eat more natural, he said he was all for clean eating. this is not clean eating. we are doing this together. we agree on the foods that I cook, i make him very involved in the grocery store decisions. He wants to try cutting out most carbs like potatoes, whole wheat breads & pastas, rice, etc, even though these are natural things and I dont want to do that at all, but Im trying to do it because this is what he wants to try....

im sorry i didnt mention which supplements, i already said i didnt understand this subject. ive tried reading up but theres so many different things that im confused.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    First off - you are all over the place. Calm down.
    You don't know much about supplements but are concerned about cancer? Stop that path of thinking.

Really, if you can barely afford food - supplements do not make sense.
    Supplements provide some benefits but first priority is basic staples of diet.
  • Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's looking to get a faster fix by removing a,b and c and adding "magic pill" just based on what you're saying. That, never has and never will work. I think Skip La Cour really says it best "Supplements are only One part of an Effective Program" I remember that from an article of his last year on bodybuilding.com and it's kinda stuck with me. (his site is http://skiplacour.com/ for more)

It's a hard spot to judge what works for one person to another. You could have 2 people, same height, same weight, same body fat and put them on identical programs and they will each lose differently. It's the nature of the game really.

One thing he could change is doing the elliptical After lifting..... better for fat burn =) and if I've been told wrong will someone please link me a study!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    He's not going to spend only 30 bucks on supplements.

If he is really that fat, he shouldn't be taking any of that yet.

Your "all natural" diet is maybe at best only slightly more natural than the supplements he would be taking.

How do you have internet access if money is that tight?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    How do you have internet access if money is that tight?

And a gym membership.

And how are you shopping on $50/week buying fresh veggies and "clean" foods? Unless you're shopping at a Costco or Price Rite type store. My weekly grocery bill is $100-$150 for two people perimeter shopping only.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    he's 5'11", 270lbs, 35yrs old, ex-marine, wanting to train for a marathon, and be 180-200. When he works out, he spends 45 to 60 minutes on the elliptical, and then lifts weights for awhile trying to build muscle.

Seems to me like he didn't learn much training with the marines. Either you aren't giving an accurate explanation of his gym routine or he has no idea what he is doing in the gym.

Tell him to get his act together and do his research.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    Like I said, i could work overtime and afford the supplement, but what are the benefits of supplements? why is a supplement better than eating real, vitamin rich food? is the only reason for something like a protein shake because of workout recovery, or are there additional benefits? why should i work overtime for it?--is it worth it? i want him to beable to achieve his goals, but does he need them?
    I dont understand, i lost 115, i went from not making it up a flight of stairs without stopping, to running 6miles straight (wiht a major hip issue), i dropped 15 sizes, and had a dramatic difference in strength, endurance, stamina, and had so much energy i couldnt sit still...all without ever drinking a cup of coffee or tea, taking a vitamin, drinking a shake, or anything else, losing on average 10lbs a month ...if i had taken these types of things, how might the results been different?---and i know one persons way might not work for anothers, of course, but he tried my way last year and lost 40 lbs rather quickly, so it obviously works for him, but now he thinks he needs extra for some reason, which is fine, if i understood why people take them...... i tried asking him, and he didnt really give a good answer that helped me at all.
    Yes, Im concerned about cancer...arent we all? what would be the point in eating natural and clean otherwise if it wasnt for health? what would be the point in reverting low fat/fat free/light/sugar free things for whole foods--cuz the higher calories for those items certainly arent helping me in my weight loss attempt... why should i stop that path of thinking? being concerned about your loved ones health i dont think is something anyone can just drop like its not important....

im just looking for some basic information....
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Since there are different supplments, there will be different purposes. I'll be the first to admit that most of them are overpriced crap that are over-marketed to the uninformed.

But, that being said, there are several out there that do in fact provide serious value. Myself, I take a whey protein as a supplement to my diet. This provides two primary benefits to me- it allows me to eat enough protein in a given day and it allows me to do so conveniently. All I need to do is add water, shake it up and drink. Unlike other whole food-based protien sources, I don't need to buy, cook and store it and on top of that, it keeps longer as well; I typically go thru a single tub every 4-5 weeks. I spend about $50 for a 5lb tub of whey which provides 60 servings at about $0.83 per serving. Compare that to the $1.20-1.40 per serving I spend on chicken breast or the $1.00-1.50 per serving I spend on whole eggs, and it's actually cheaper than whole food protein sources.

One other thing about whey protien- it's a dairy by-product, so it's not some chemical-laden substance developed in a lab. Most powders on the market have some flavoring and artificial sweeteners added, but that's about it.

As for other supplements, the only other ones I'd recommend would be a good multivitamin, caffeine tabs and creatine monohydrate, all of which can be found for relatively cheap. Anything else would probably be overpriced fluff and a waste of money.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    You all/he can't afford supplements. Why is this even a discussion? If you can't afford it then why does it matter?

Supplements are a luxury item. Yes, they work. Yes, you can do the same thing without them at maybe a slightly different time table.

Going back to the original point through. Non of that matters though because of the big glaring thing called money, you don't have enough for them apparently. What else matters when discussing it?
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    OK, So I can understand both sides of the issue here. My wife and I are also on a strict income spending. With twin 1 year old girls, Mortgage car payments, other bills we cannot go over board. We are probably not in the exact income strains as you mentioned but we are definitely not in a situation where I can go over board buying tons of supplements.
    Here's what we do (Or where we started because to be honest I take a lot of supplements now, but it didn't start off that way)

1) You need to realize that all supplements are not bad. Do better/more research and find what he needs to take through a reputable company according to what his dietary goals are. (Again the honest thing here is finding what is NEEDED because some guys tend to get on the supplement bandwagon thinking they will achieve goals overnight taking something)
    2) Understand that supplements are exactly that nothing more, He will still need to have a healthy food intake with these supplements. Usually from my past when I was having $$ issues it was way easier and cheaper to eat unhealthy. So when you and your husband decide to eat healthier you WILL be spending more. Even when we eat out I can eat a grilled chicken salad with steamed veggies on the side with a water and it would be more $$ than just eating a burger and fries.
    3) I understand also that you have a combined income. There's no " this is my money and this is yours" So this situation needs to be discussed between you both, it cant be one sided because it will never work and just cause issues within the relationship which is not worth it. Just openly communicate. Even if your opinions differ discuss it with FACTS not hearsay.
    4) Everyone has the capabilities of freeing up some $$, there is always something that 1 can do to either do without or not as much of. For example not paying a gym membership to free up proper food money is something I would do because you can do plenty of exercises etc at home with no machines needed etc. I've lost over 15+ pounds before joining a gym. With basics Running, Push ups, jumping jacks, burpees, etc.

I think that if your $$ is that tight at the moment, a conversation of getting into working out 1st should be made. Make goals, help each other with the goals doing basics 1st. If weight loss is a top priority lets say then work on whats in your food pantry at home. Make sure when you guys do spend on food its positive to your goals. Eliminate foods/habits that are not. (For example taking out Soda from my intake at the beginning gave me a weight loss of almost 5lbs. that was just soda! Not to mention other things I did away with. I'm sure once you dig deep into things like that he can get closer to goals without the use of supplements at the moment.
    I would think that if you honestly stuck to doing these basic steps for the first 1-3 months (While honestly putting aside $$ for the use of supplements down the road it would help tremendously).

Also when you do come to the point where you know exactly what you want to take stay away from places like GNC/ Vitamin Shoppe. The are great places but honestly you can find top supplements for a lot cheaper even on places like Ebay. (Just make sure they list the products expiration date and make sure they are popular/top sellers etc) I use supplements by Optimum Nutrition, Cellucore, Isopure and they have all been purchased from Ebay/Amazon- Way cheaper than retail store, all had 1-2+ year expiration dates and I have had not 1 problem.

Just like your income is now shared/combined.., a goal team effort between you guys. My wife is very on top of things financially, she never thought I would be this dedicated to working out and thought it was a fad i'd waste $$ on. We did a few steps I mentioned and worked at it. Now today I went from 191lbs to 168 and still going.
    Honest Communication, Research and planing is all you should need to make it happen.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    the neighbor pays half the internet bill, so it only costs $20 a month. and need internet for a multitude of different things including work. A gym membership is kinda needed in oregon, you cant go outside and enjoy the sunshine 8months out of the year- $59 a month for two of us. Running on iced over sidewalks is dangerous esp without health coverage. and cant afford the gas to go drive somewhere for a hike, but I think fitness is important sso thats why i choose a gym membership over some extra, like cable, that we dont need. I work nights so on my days off im up during the nights when its often below freezing, dark, and dangerous in downtown with the homeless, etc to be outside alot. I use to do at home workouts before i moved, but the floors creak really bad here and you can hear everything your neighbor does, so if i can hear them walk across the room next to us, they can definitely hear me jumping about--i lost 115lbs with at home workouts, i know they can work wonders... ok so what, cut the gym membership and the internet, and then buy supplements with that money, so he can see better results with lifting? lifting what? couldnt afford the dumbbells...and wouldnt have room for them anyway in our ubber small apartment.

One week a month I buy the meat, canned items, and main staple items, and that weeks basic staples like the fresh veggies, etc $100-150 tops including the personal items like tp and dish soap, shampoo, whatever...the other 3 weeks of the month, its $50 a week; which would restock milk, bread, veggies, fruit, eggs...basic items.. i guess its actually $75 a week if evenly divided... we dont go out to eat at all, and i make a large dish once a week (like whole wheat turkey spaghetti with veggies or chicken/brown rice with veggies) to last us the entire weeks lunches. clean eating is so much cheaper, its another reason i do it. but i cant afford organic, so some people might not consider it real clean eating...but whatever, its close. i still have a few items in the house that arent clean eating that im trying to eat up so that they dont go to waste in the garbage (salad dressing and such). but now with him wanting to get rid of the pastas/potatoes/breads, im not sure how to cook, let alone cook without going over budget. I dont shop at Costco, I shop at Winco...they have bulk bins for nuts, seeds, rice, grains, dried fruit, etc, and things like whole chickens at $0.89 a pound, it will last us several meals if shredded down plus can save the juice for broth for other things like soup or rice water; other types of pork are closer to $2 a pound, ground turkey was 2.50 a pound the last time i went, cheese is under $5 a pound.. veggies & fruit are super cheap too (for the ones i buy anyway-not sure of the rest) its pretty easy to shop there on a budget, especially since there price tags list as per ounce cost as well, so you can compare everything ounce for ounce (come to find out im not saving money by buying a bigger package of something).

hes not looking for a magic pill, he goes to the gym 5-6 days a week and eats well--mostly clean--not like hes sitting at home taking some pill and waiting for results while watching tv. he's looking i think more for an additive to help him...yea i guess maybe a magic pill, to move things along faster?... i could go with protein shakes, fine, but animal cut & those type of supplements look dangerous. he hasnt asked for protein shakes. I can get soy protein isolate for $5.85 a pound (last i looked) in bulk bins at winco--thats $30 for a 5# amount, saving over $20 for a name brand whey powder (and i know the $50 is a sale price of the whey). I will talk to him more about this, if this is what people thinks he needs... i was just trying to get info.. is soy isolate ok, compared to whey? hes got a lil lactose issue and idk if whey would upset that being a milk by product... he can handle yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese ok, but milk seems to always give him an upset tummy.

JayDavila--we eat well/clean (as i said), he's already cut soda that he had an issue with, having an issue cutting caffeine (coffee--caffeine takes away from your water instead of helping your water). We dont go out to eat, but i know all to well of the cost of a burger and fries vs a chicken salad with side of veggies grrr frustrating. its cheaper, at the grocery store anyways, to eat healthy. i use to spend over $400 a month when i was buying alot of processed stuff, now that ive cut it out i cut over $100 off the grocery bill.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    You all/he can't afford supplements. Why is this even a discussion? If you can't afford it then why does it matter?

Because he's not getting enough protein, he's not getting enough calories (yesterday even after a good sized lunch, dinner, snacks, etc he still had over 1000 calorie deficit according to mfp that he was suppose to eat)... its like this for him on most days. on days he gets close to eating all his calories, the work out puts him back at needing another 1000. He feels like he's starving to death after a workout. He can come home and devour snacks left and right and still be hungry.. he said he wanted to try animal cut or rip fuel. i think the answer is protein shakes, but he did not mention protein shakes. i wanted information. i didnt want to suggest something when ive never used or knew anything about.
    and like i also said already, a couple times, i could work overtime to get this as an extra if this is really the answer for him, i want him to get his goals and not be starving.
  • TheCredibleHuIk
    TheCredibleHuIk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If i'm honest, sounds like he has no idea either.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If he needs more protein - animal cuts aren't exactly what he needs. As well, I used them and they work well, but I also put my time in the gym. If he is just starting, he doesn't need them, or pre workout or creatine. Furthermore, soy protein isn't the best way to go. You have been given options, look online and find savings that way.

Like mentioned about, protein powder isn't expensive when you break it down. I use two scoops plus 2 cups of milk, comes out to around 2-2.25 a serving and it is 60 grams of protein each time.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    I talked to him more, and i suggested protein shakes. he said he had thought about them, but was more interested in something like animal cuts because its a diet aide, and his co-worker takes it so thats why he was thinking about that one in particular.. so he is after a magic pill after all argh. I told him "but you already need to eat more, not less", and he said he didnt want to eat more, he thought he was eating too much... even on days where hes suppose to eat 1000 calories more, and admits he's starving after work outs, he still feels he needs to eat less...when he could be losing muscle mass because hes not eating enough.... he just started going to the gym again a week or two ago, so he should be losing water weight at least, but he hasnt lost any weight... so i think his body is just holding onto everything because he's not getting enough. i think he's putting more stress on his body by not getting enough, counting calories, and looking at the scale and seeing nothing, which stress also causes us to hold into those extra pounds. i know he's gaining muscle (which muscle weighs more than fat), but isnt it if you arent getting enough your body basically eats away its muscle from one area and puts it on the area you are working? and its only when you get enough food into your system that you can maintain muscle mass?
    also, coffee flushes your water out of your system, and you need water to lose, and even if he's drinking a gallon of water a day would 12 cups of extra strong coffee a day as well cause him to be flushing that water out of his system?