Encouragement for Losing 30 lbs?

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm wrapping up my 27th year and with that have found my body and metabolism to be changing dramatically. Since undergrad I've gained close to 30LBs and I've made a resolution this year to lose it. :grumble:

I know that losing 30LBs is a long road, I've set my goal to lose it by May 6th - my birthday! I've joined a new gym that has classes (everything from yoga to spin and zumba) and have started going 4-5 times a week doing both cardio and strength training. I'm recording my food and exercise on myfitnesspal but really - I just would love to hear some success stories from people who've made it down this road I've started on...

any motivation, encouragement or the like would be amazing! :smile:

Replies

• wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    FR sent!
  • phuckingbadasscutie
    phuckingbadasscutie Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I sent a FR also.
  • SuePin02
    SuePin02 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I myself have a goal of -30lbs too!!!! FR sent, best wishes :happy:
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    sO Do able!

I have lost 37lb since October this year and am in my mid (to late) 30's - go for it! FR me x
  • stat1124
    stat1124 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    FR sent also
  • BrandiCo
    Options
    Hello. I know that how much you start out weighing has a lot of impact on how much you can drop and in what time frame, and I'm certain I've a lot more to lose than you do, considering 30 is your goal, and it's about half to one third of mine. :) On Oct 29th I started my diet, and by Christmas I'd lost 30 pounds, I did this with out stepping into a gym. I counted every calorie, yes I had pizza days and chocolate days, but I allowed for those calories and some days I went over. I did a lot of strength training at home with a fitness ball, and walked on my 30 minute lunch breaks at work. I did a few other things to stay active like yard work, more house chores, etc. Looking back at the past 60+ days, it did come off too easy it seems, and I know my next 30 will take a lot more work and will power. Using this site helps, as well as keeping in mind what my goals are. After taking a 2-3 week break I'm back on track. I set mini goals for my self, and keep a reward chart for when I reach them. Small things such as a new shirt when I lose another 5 pounds, or a manicure when I reach 10 pounds. I also post hand written motivational quotes, and goals on paper around my house. My bathroom has a list of things I want to enjoy again after losing weight. My kitchen poster tells me "do not regret what you eat", the one in my bedroom tells me that I will never regret a work out. Often our own voice in our heads are our own worst enemies, I decided to turn that voice into my cheerleader.

Good luck to you!
  • Vmg773
    Vmg773 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's about what I have to lose too! I'm sending a FR, if others want to send me one, feel free.
  • towheee
    towheee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Brandi! I like the idea of setting little goals and rewards to keep you motivated through a longer process. Congrats on your journey so far. Same thing about turning our inner voices into our cheerleaders - we often spend way too much time talking down to ourselves. You're an inspiration :)
  • osucristina2014
    Options
    I"m sorry- are we the same person? Haha. I will be 28 in May, and I've got the same "Where did this come from?!" 30 pounds. I moved to a new city + a really stressful job = 30 lbs in 2 years. Yikes! I tried a bunch of get skinny quick "diets" but now I'm just trying to slowly lose the weight and create a healthy relationship with food.

Yeah, what worked in college doesn't work now. I could just do 30 on the elliptical and call it a day. Wahhhh. Lol,
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    my goal is to lose 27lbs and since 4th ive lost 3 pounds (a lot for 1 week i know but it just happened) i havnt gone to a gym youtube is amazing (granted i can only get jillian micheals 30 day shred level 1 and her metabolism boosting thingy) but im loving it. and i havnt given up any food i just happen to be eating what i normally do just considerably less of it:).

Good Luck with your weight loos
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can definitely achieve your goal if you stay on track! It's hard work, but it's all worth it. I've nearly hit my 30lbs lost and my ultimate goal weight is just 3lbs away. I'm hoping to switch to maintenance by mid-February. For the record, I'm 29 years old and 5'3" and I started my weight-loss journey on September 24th. Good luck and feel free to friend me!
  • Crateria_
    Crateria_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you! I sent you a friend request. :)
  • cmira5ol
    cmira5ol Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me for support
  • MichelleDavisSmith
    Options
    Hello, I need to lose 30 pounds. I am trying my hardest to get back on track it has just been hard with taking care of my 4 kids, husband and being a fulltime student getting in the way. I am tired of excuses and I have got to get in control again. Today is day one for me and I hope to be successful. I hope I can report back some weight loss :-)
  • trmcleodprime
    trmcleodprime Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have the same amount of lbs to loose. I've sent you a friend request. I tried this site before in the past but never stuck to it. This time I've decided to change that and actually work harder on my self discipline.
  • zombiemomjo
    zombiemomjo Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs going into my 40th year. Took me about 10 months, but I'm older and have hormone issues, so it was a bit slower than some might be. You can totally do it! Sounds exactly like what you need to be doing! Best of luck!
  • towheee
    Options
    I"m sorry- are we the same person? Haha. I will be 28 in May, and I've got the same "Where did this come from?!" 30 pounds. I moved to a new city + a really stressful job = 30 lbs in 2 years. Yikes! I tried a bunch of get skinny quick "diets" but now I'm just trying to slowly lose the weight and create a healthy relationship with food.

Yeah, what worked in college doesn't work now. I could just do 30 on the elliptical and call it a day. Wahhhh. Lol,

Seriously! I think the same thing happened to me - a different job and more sedentary lifestyle on top of serious metabolism changes. Hello real world! Good to know we're not alone :)
  • SandiW2
    SandiW2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seriously just take it one day at a time. Don't lose too fast and remember that you have to eat to lose weight. I've lost 55 lbs in about 7 months. No magic bullet, just portion control and tracking EVERYThING, even "ghost calories" the ones you stand at the fridge and eat so you think they don't count . You can do it
  • towheee
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the enormous amount of encouragement and support! I feel more motivated already. Isn't having this community great? I think it will be so helpful.
  • speckwood
    speckwood Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Nice advice!! Good luck to!