Hot sauce

Options
Are hot sauce or hot peppers good for the diet?

Replies

• jlneibauer
    Options
    I heard that spicy foods speed up the metabolism. But I'd be cautious of too much hot sauce because there's a ton of sodium in it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, they're delicious.

Try the chipotle tabasco.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    They taste yummy and are generally low in calories.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I heard that spicy foods speed up the metabolism. But I'd be cautious of too much hot sauce because there's a ton of sodium in it.

This is untrue.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    They are good cos they are tasty as *kitten* and low-cal. I love me some hot sauce....
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Hot and spicy foods may help you to eat slower, allowing your brain to catch up with that "I'm full" feeling, possibly leading to eating less.

Also, hot sauce is just plain awesome, so eat it. Lots of it.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Anything that adds flavor without adding many calories is a win when you're losing weight. However, I'm pretty sure hot sauce has no magic benefits other than being tasty.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Anything that adds flavor without adding many calories is a win when you're losing weight. However, I'm pretty sure hot sauce has no magic benefits other than being tasty.

Does it need any more, really?
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce, because I can use much less to flavor my foods than I would something like ketchup. My favorite is Cholula :heart:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, they're delicious.

Try the chipotle tabasco.

^^^x2! That stuff's frickin amazing!
  • elbie628
    elbie628 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hot and spicy foods may help you to eat slower, allowing your brain to catch up with that "I'm full" feeling, possibly leading to eating less.

Also, hot sauce is just plain awesome, so eat it. Lots of it.

^^^this. I find that when my food is a little spicier, I eat it slower and I tend to eat less.
  • jlneibauer
    Options

This is untrue.

I totally don't use that as a law for weight loss. I just heard it. They say a lot lol.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce, because I can use much less to flavor my foods than I would something like ketchup. My favorite is Cholula :heart:

agreed delicious. brown rice + veggies + maybe a lean meat + Cholula is a staple meal in my diet
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Capsaicin which is what makes the sauce hot jump starts metabolism..... Now you guys are going to make me post pix of my collection.... lol....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I live in New Mexico and our cuisine revolves around red and green chiles, jalapenos, salsas, and hot sauce...they are delicious and peppers are a vegetable, so there's that....but they do not have any particular magic weight loss properties. I eat all kinds of chiles on a regular basis and still blowed up.

Capsaicin does slightly increase your TEF...but it's pretty minimal. People get wrapped up in this kind of stuff when really, they just need to watch their overall calories for best results.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    i find hot and spicy foods means i eat less of it that i would if it wasnt hot haha.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yes certain hot sauce are high in sodium.

I have the bottles right here and addicted as I use a lot! lol

Sriracha for 1tsp is 100mg or 4% daily value for sodium. If you use it all the time and depending on your quantity will add up ...

Tabasco my next hot sauce I use all the time. A little less but again depending if you use a lot like me! .... 1tsp is 35mg.

So yes it can add up and be high in sodium

Hot peppers are a different story.
  • Jewbe
    Jewbe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always have these hot sauces in my house:

Tapatio

Sriracha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Capsaicin which is what makes the sauce hot jump starts metabolism.....
    No.
    Now you guys are going to make me post pix of my collection.... lol....

Indeed, share!
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Frank's Hot Sauce...i put that sh%& on everything Lol