Becca21
Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
Is a low carb or keto diet any good.? and how they work

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Is a low carb or keto diet any good.? and how they work

They work exactly like all other diets, a caloric deficit. Unless you have a medical reason to do so, or find it the easiest of all diets to adhere to, really no reason to do them
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well, here is my experience. I have done the atkins diet twice. Both time I did lose a lot of weight but was quite miserable while doing it. The last time I did it was about 2 years ago and I lost 25 pounds in 3 months. After that I switched to counting calories and have continued to lose weight but at a slower and probably healthier pace. I still use some of what I learned from going low carb in my current diet plan. I find that if I keep the added sugars, sugar replacements and processed carbs to a minimum I lose weight at a consistent pace without feeling miserable and since nothign is completely banned from my diet, I don't feel deprived or obsess over things I "can't have". So from my point of view, there is some value to the low carb lifestyle but I wouldn't go around recommending atkins to anyone.
  • ketorager
    ketorager Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Ketogenic diets work by restricting the number of carbs you eat, typically only 5% of your total caloric intake, and taking in 30% protein and 65% fat. These retrains the body to use fats as fuel, and if you are also pairing it with some small caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

The great thing about the keto is that you won't have the hunger cravings that are associated with other diets, that is, you go to a restaiurant and order all the proitein/fat you want, and eat until satiated. Thing is, you are most likely going to take great care of what you eat and log in all your foods so you know if you are still in ketosis.

Ketosis? Yes, your body consuming fat as fuel instead of sugar. It takes a couple of weeks to get there, but once there it is great.
  • dannymgilbert1980
    Options
    I've been doing a Keto diet since the beginning of the year. I love it!! I am never hungry which is so important to sticking with a plan. Due to the lack of carbs (especially for me wheat) I have dropped a lot of water weight. You can eat plenty of vegetables and still stay in Ketosis. Avocado and spinach are my favourites. So far I have dropped 17lb but much of that is probably water and I expect the weight loss to slow down soon but it doesn't bother me because the diet just makes you feel good. I don't think it's for everyone, but If you are sensitive to carbs then you'll probably start feeling really good after a week. F.Y.I first few days while your body starts the Ketosis process can be tough.
  • skinny__mama
    skinny__mama Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have only been on a keto diet for a week, but have already lost 6lbs. I know that's just water weight, but I have never lost so much water weight in one week. My energy levels are through the roof. I suspect I have narcolepsy (dad has it, I have the same symptoms) and used to struggle to get through the day and not fall asleep at my desk. In the past week, I don't feel myself nodding off during work times. I have also reduced my amounts of naps in the evenings after work. It's not an easy diet, and changing your pre-conceived notions that fat is bad was difficult at first. But if I can keep this up, or even when I slow down my weight loss, it's so worth it. The only thing I miss is fruit ...
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    It may work for you, it may not.

I eat low carb and find it the easiest way to reduce calories. I find with doing low cal I tend to want to eat my calories with higher carb foods so then I feel hungry faster but would then have to watch my fat and protein intake. It does take time to learn what are some go to foods and what has what amount of sugar, etc. I personally have more energy when I cut down my carbs, but others have the opposite problem.

Eating higher amounts of fat, a moderate amount of protein, and lower amounts of carbs will keep you fuller longer, which means less calories consumed. I'm not as familiar with keto diet as I loosely follow Atkins, which breaks down your eating into 4 phases, each phase allowing for more carbs and more foods.