Calorie question!

Options
I'm having a dispute with one of my family members. I told them that my recommended calorie allowance for maintaining my weight is 2300 calories, so I reduced it to 2000 and paired it with exercise. They told me that I should be eating 1500 a day to lose weight, but isn't everyone's allowance different depending on their current weight?
I stuck to 2000 calories a day last time I tried to lose weight and I lost in between 2-6Ibs a week.
I would like to know if I have to reduce to 1500 or if I'm okay with 2000 x

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    if it works for you...then its right.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree, if it works for you, then stick with it.
    Do you know your basal metabolic rate by chance? Or your body fat percentage?
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Why 1500? People can and do lose weight on many different calorie amounts. If you are eating at a deficit and know that eating 2000 calories per day works, do it!

1500 is just a random number they pulled out of their butt.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 and lose weight...so that 1500 number is just a number.

Plug your numbers into MFP and your goal or scooby and it will give you a reasonable number to go by as well.
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My rule has always been to eat as much as you can while still losing, kind of like blackjack; get as high as you can without going over 21. If you're losing at 2000 calories, more power to you; I wish I had that metabolism!
  • tmhatten
    Options
    If you only eat 1500 and work out, you will deprive yourself and you will always be hungry...and you will fail. Eat 2000 and try to burn 500.

Don't let anyone direct your journey...especially if they aren't on a journey!

Also, you should know how many calories you burn per day, without doing anything at all. For instance, I am 40 years old, 159 lbs, and burn about 1800 calories a day.
    Let MFP figure out a guideline for you
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people who aren't living and logging your life. If you are losing, you're fine. If you're not, reevaluate and change it up. Those people don't know.
  • Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for being helpful :) x
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I guess your height as 5'6" (1.68 meters), and being a couch potato, and came up with your BMR being 2009 cals, and your TDEE being 2411. Changed it to working out 3 times a week, and hit a TDEE of 2762 cals.
    As long as your calories in is lower than your calories burnt, weight loss happens.
    "TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the amount calories your body burns in a 24 hour period, sleeping, working, exercising, playing and even digesting food!"
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/