Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

heart rate monitor is it worth it?

I have a fitbit flex which I use all day everyday. This is great for tracking when I am doing zumba or running. I am looking to buy a heart rate monitor but Im just curious how you log your calories burned in mfp? Also is it worth getting a heart rate monitor? I do a lot of bob harper dvds and jillian michaels and I know I am burning calories but Im not moving my feet that much so the fitbit doesn't work for these types of work outs.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    You would log them manually...you would have to go in and pick the activity or create an exercise and log your calories. A good HRM is reasonably accurate for an aerobic event, but still an estimate. The further away you get from a steady state aerobic event, the less accurate it is for calorie burn.

I like mine for the sole purpose of monitoring my HR and working in and through various zones depending on my particular session and what I'm trying to accomplish. I could probably do it by feel at this point, but I like seeing the read out on my watch....plus, sometimes I'm out on a ride and I get distracted by the scenery and inadvertently slow down...I have my HRM set to beep at me if I go below 130 BPM on a long ride.
  • jordieq86
    jordieq86 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you for your help:)
  • I LOVE my HRM. I don't count on the calorie burn as gospel, but it's a really good indicator for me of how intense my workouts are. During a workout, I watch my heart-rate, not the calories burned, and I get a good idea of whether I need to take it up or down a notch. Even if the calorie burn is off, it's off for everything at the same rate, so when I try a new workout, I can still estimate intensity in comparison to my normal routine. I do a lot of classes at the gym and sometimes I find myself plodding along, I take a look at my HRM and see that my heart rate is only like 120 so I know I need to work harder.

I tried a Timex HRM and it way over-estimated my calorie burn and operation was tedious. Got a Polar instead and I feel it's much more accurate and easier to operate.
  • jordieq86
    jordieq86 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you for your input. I am looking at the polar ft7 :)
  • PinkGemini612
    PinkGemini612 Posts: 63 Member
    I have the Polar FT40 I love it!