Bruising on top of foot

Options
Just wanted to check if this was normal or if I should see a doctor. I noticed after my run this morning that my right foot was a little sore and when I looked I have some bruising above the third toe. Weirdly enough, that toe feels fine, but the fourth toe is quite tender to touch at the base of the toe. I've had various aches and pains in my right leg over the last week, just little niggly things, and have been starting to wonder if I should rest for a week or so, but nothing particularly about my right foot that I can remember. But maybe the other pains have been because I'm compensating for the foot somehow?

http://imgur.com/yWE1INX

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    No, that's not normal. If it doesn't go away from a couple days of resting, i would see a doctor. It might be a stress fracture.

As far as the cause, i'd suspect overtraining and/or a shoe issue. What shoes did you run in?
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have an appointment this morning, hopefully she can give me the all clear!

My shoes are Saucony Hurricane 15's. They're ~6 months old, so it's probably time for a new pair.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yup, I'd bet shoes. If you run a lot they will flatten out. Also might be worth having your gait checked to make sure you haven't shifted to needing a different type (stability, neutral, etc). Any change in your laces? Both my wife and I have experienced that when we have either laced too tight or purchased new ones that caused the shoe to be snug. I have since switched to stretchable laces and haven't had a problem since.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had that happen with my old running shoes. Maybe its time for new ones?
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Okay the xrays yesterday showed only soft tissue damage, no breaks/fractures, so I'm on instructions to rest for a week and take a boatload of anti-inflammatories to reduce the swelling, but yay I can try running again next week!

In the meantime, I'll look for some new shoes. I am never really sure how tight to tie the laces, to be honest!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Maybe just lacing too tight. Loosen the laces closest to the toes and make sure to use the extra hole up by the ankle (if the shoe has them) for lacing up snugly on the ankle. On some shoes I skip the hole closest to the pinky toe just to give my toes a little extra room.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    May have impacted on a rock or object in your run if its not a stress fracture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Stress fractures are very tiny and usually not seen on an x-ray until at least two weeks after symptoms begin.[/img]
    http://pediatrics.med.nyu.edu/conditions-we-treat/conditions/stress-fracture

I wouldn't take painkillers on the day of the run, so you can feel if something is wrong.