eating stripers question...

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
I could probably just google this, but is the red meat that you typically clean off the filets fat or more protein? I don't think the entry in MFP is accurate for the white bass my in laws cook where they leave the red meat.

(I use the striper listing when I'm lucky enough to have some fresh hybrid or white bass filets).

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I read the topic title wrong

Carry on.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Carry on.

:laugh:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    stryper.jpg

ETA - I also misread the title.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options

Carry on.

Yep.....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I could probably just google this, but is the red meat that you typically clean off the filets fat or more protein? I don't think the entry in MFP is accurate for the white bass my in laws cook where they leave the red meat.

(I use the striper listing when I'm lucky enough to have some fresh hybrid or white bass filets).

I'm assuming you mean the blood line. So, in effect it's protein, because it's meat. Just has blood in it.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options

racist_zps2bcf69ff.gif
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Carry on.

Yep.....

I predict that this may be a continuing theme for this thread, not that I did this, just saying....
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Stripers are delicious.

Also, I cut the blood line. I'm not a fan of eating bloody fish.

God that sounds perfectly terrible.
  • _John_
    Options
    Stripers are delicious.

Also, I cut the blood line. I'm not a fan of eating bloody fish.

God that sounds perfectly terrible.

I always cut it out when I clean them, but my grandfather in law is set in his ways and won't let me clean the fish when we go fishing together.

it's kind of a pain on white bass, but worth it.
  • dbmata
    Options
    you know, being suzuki, you could scrape that meat, mix with wasabi, green onions, some sesame oil...

Damn fine tartar right there.
  • _John_
    Options
    you know, being suzuki, you could scrape that meat, mix with wasabi, green onions, some sesame oil...

all of these I catch are coming out of freshwater...I don't think eating raw would be a great idea...(I'm not plugged into japanese cuisine, and just know suziki as a japanese motorsports brand...)
  • kishstl
    kishstl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bummer. Hoping for different topic.
  • _John_
    Options
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/finfish-and-shellfish-products/4030/2

looks like the bass has very little fat to worry about regardless.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    stryper.jpg

ETA - I also misread the title.

I was so certain that I would be the only person in the world whose mind went immediately to Stryper after reading this title. I'll never again feel alone. *nods* true story
  • _John_
    Options
    I guess a side question would be if the Omega 3 content in wild caught striper from an inland freshwater fishery (such as Beaver Lake, AR) would be similar to those from the estuaries and atlantic coast...
  • dbmata
    Options

all of these I catch are coming out of freshwater...I don't think eating raw would be a great idea...(I'm not plugged into japanese cuisine, and just know suziki as a japanese motorsports brand...)

Ah, heh. Suzuki is the traditional sushi name for stripers. That's for the saltwater version though. Definitely don't do that with freshwater fish, ever.