I want to start running...need advise please

Options
Hi everyone. I have been thinking about it for a while now and I would like to give running a try. I searched the forums and just didn't find the information I was looking for.

A little background on me. I will turn 41 next month. I restarted my journey on MFP at the end of October 2013. Currently I am 5'1" and 234 lbs. Since restarting this journey I have lost several inches and 15 lbs since beginning. I currently work out 6 days a week, at home, alternating cardio and weights. Right now I am lifting 5-8lb weights and working my way up to heavier ones. I am going at my own pace and have seen so many changes for the better since restarting.

One of my goals is to begin running and eventually participate in 5Ks with my bestie. I have never run before. I have no idea if I will like it or not but I would really like to give it a try. My plan is to get started in March when it begins to get a bit warmer. I do not have a treadmill at home and I do not belong to the gym. I work part-time and have student loans to pay off so buying a treadmill or joining the gym is not feasible at the moment. My plan when I get started is running outside. My neighborhood is safe to run in and I also have a park 5 minutes away from me with a pavement track ideal for running.

My questions are:
~What advice would you give to someone looking to get started?
~What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
~What online sites are useful for a beginner runner?
~What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
~Tips/ suggestions?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. I have already begun to do some research on my own this morning.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    C25K is well regarded - I'd go with that.

There are hundreds of running shoes - go to the stores that will check your gait and take their advice.

Not sure what you're looking for from a website. I found that joinging a local running group (Saturday ParkRuns) was a great incentive.

Tips - slow down, most new runners set off too fast and then get out of breath.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are all my beginner's running tips from waaaaay back in 2011:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

1. When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

2. It gets easier. You’ll be amazed at the progress you make after the first week or two and soon won’t believe where you came from!

3. Walk/run is the way ahead. Programmes like C25K will build up your running time until you can run for half an hour. It doesn’t need to stop there! A famous running coach Jeff Galloway recommends walk/runs for all longer distances. Friends have achieved much faster marathon times taking walk breaks every five minutes than slowly plodding the whole way.

4. Get great running shoes as soon as you can. You’ll be amazed how light and bouncy they feel! Get fitted in a proper running shop to buy your first pair. If you love that model, buy your next pairs online. Last season’s models can be half the price and sometimes only the colour varies.

5. Get a great sports bra as soon as you can. I love Shock Absorber high impact bras. Boys, if you have moobs, close-fitting clothes and a plaster over your nipples will stop you looking like you’ve been shot twice in the chest with jogger’s nipple!

6. Socks make a difference. Think your shoes are rubbing? It might be that you need wicking, seamless socks.

7. Wear fitted, breathable clothing, not baggy cotton. Even if you’re overweight, you’ll look slimmer in Lycra and it won’t hold sweat. Plus chafing is NOT a good look!

8. You will get aches and pains – most aren’t worrying. The most common are pains along the front of the shins (shin splints) and aching knees. Rest, ice, take ibuprofen and start again easily when you’re ready. MOST of the time the pains are due to doing something your body isn’t used to. Avoid making exaggerated heel landings to avoid the worst of beginner’s shin splints.

9. It’s much safer than you think. A lot of women suddenly feel like they’ll be targeted if out running. If you stick to the same streets and same time of day you feel safe walking down, you’ll be fine. But DO tell someone where you’re going and how long you’ll be, and take a phone if you’re out for a long one.

10. Beware the “toxic 10 minutes”. When you build up to running over 10 minutes at a time, that first 10 minutes will feel like living hell. It gets better! Your body moves on to a different energy release process after this time and you will get second wind soon after, I promise!

11. You can compete with world-class athletes. Many mass-participation events from charity 5ks through marathons and triathlons you can find yourself next to world champions and celebrities. What a boost!

12. If you’re a gym bunny start out on the treadmill, but get outside as soon and as often as you can. Your iPod can only distract you so much. Get outside to see and feel the seasons change and nature in its glory. Changing terrain will challenge your body in new ways.

13. High-tech is great… It’s amazing seeing your progress through your heart-rate monitor, GPS, phone apps like CardioTrainer that track your distance and calories etc. while distracting yourself with boosting tunes on your MP3 player.

14. Low-tech is great… Once in a while ditch EVERYTHING – even your watch – and just run. It feels great!

15. Carry water if you’re going out for more than 40 minutes or if it’s very hot. There are some great ring-shaped hand-held bottles and water belts you can carry all your other accoutrements in too.

16. Don’t drink back your calories. You do not need sports drinks, gels, protein shakes or recovery drinks if you’re out for an hour or less.

17. You can race. As soon as you can get out there for half an hour, enter a beginner-friendly 5K. It’s amazing motivation.

18. You won’t be last. There might be 200 or 40,000 people in your race, what are the chances of you being the slowest? Even if you are, so what? It’s the only other “place” after first, second and third! You got round which is more than 99% of the population did that morning!

19. Learn to run alone and with buddies. Friends can push you to go that bit faster and further. On the other hand they might hold you back if your goals are different. Mix and match.

20. Don’t neglect other exercises. Cross training will keep you toned and injury free. Do upper-body and core exercises to balance yourself out. Do squats, lunges and balancing exercises to prevent lower-body injuries.

My final bit of advice is YOU ARE A RUNNER the minute you set foot outdoors and go faster than a walk. Forget all the stuff about jogging, or how fast you have to be, just do it. Have fun out there!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much.

I am looking for a website devoted to running that gives tips, reviews of products, articles about running, any information about running with reliable sources, an online community.

That is a great idea about finding a local running group in the area. I am going to look into that now. Thanks again.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a website devoted to running that gives tips, reviews of products, articles about running, any information about running with reliable sources, an online community.
    Runner's World is good for all the above. I used to be a regular contributor to the UK site's online community, the US one is even bigger.
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As someone who started running only 4 months ago and is now upto 12km my main advise would be to go to a reputable running store and get fitted with runners that suit you, make sure to go to a store that perform's gait analysis. The store I went to has a running track / treadmill and they video your movements. I was about an hour with the sales guy getting the right runners but it was so worth it. Other stores I went to would put you on a machine that took an impression of your foot, personally I found these useless and now will only ever go to a running store.

Also the C25K program is great, I followed one of this for a few weeks and then booked one session with a personal trainer to make sure my foot placement posture ect was correct.

Finally look around your area for groups that might be doing the C25K, I joined a Facebook running group in my area, most of these groups are free and its great motivation to be doing it with others.

Best of luck!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    BerryH - Thanks so much. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for!
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

There are hundreds of running shoes - go to the stores that will check your gait and take their advice.

^^^ This. 1000 times this.
  • cherub_72
    cherub_72 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    WOW! Great information! Thanks for posting the question. I too am starting to run. I am killing my hips and knees right now because I can't afford to get out there to get new shoes BUT I am going to go LOOKING for them tonight before my Zumba class.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried running, I was on the last stretch of a hike and took off trotting along a slightly downhill slope. Wheee! It felt very strange after not running for a hundred years lol. Eventually I went to the track, doing intervals of jogging 32 paces and walking 32, counting to 16 twice, in twos. Silly, maybe, but the rhythm of counting helped me stay focused. After a time I increased to 64 paces of each, and eventually I could run a full quarter-mile lap without stopping. Now I can run a full mile, take a quick stop to stretch and drink, and run another full mile. It's taken me a couple of years to get there, but I'm not planning to run a marathon. Ease into it slowly is my advice, pay attention to your knees! If they hurt, just walk. Don't overdo. Time yourself and keep records. Increase distance gradually. Have fun Nettie!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting fitted for shoes...SO important! I ended up injuring myself because I thought I'd be okay with the shoes I had...wrong!

Try to run outside. It's just so much different that a treadmill, and I feel it conditions my joints and tendons/ligaments better. Nothing prepares you for running outside than running outside.

Go for a night run at least once (in a safe place of course). I find it exhilarating. There's not much like going for a run while you watch the full moon rise.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

20. Don’t neglect other exercises. Cross training will keep you toned and injury free. Do upper-body and core exercises to balance yourself out. Do squats, lunges and balancing exercises to prevent lower-body injuries.

Lots of good info posted here but I just wanted to emphasize the above. Cross training has helped me immensely. Make it a habit at least twice a week.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    My questions are:
    ~What is the best app to use for running? I was interested in C25K but am open to suggestions.
    ~What are the best type of running shoes to get? (I already found 2 running stores in my area to get fitted at)
    ~Tips/ suggestions?

Any advice you have is greatly appreciated. I have already begun to do some research on my own this morning.
    C25K is excellent. It would be wise to start sooner than later, so unless you're facing massive snowdrifts, roving bands of yetis, and random ice storms... just do it. Commitment takes a long time to grow.

Great online resource: Coolrunning.com
    Best type of running shoes? Depends. It also changes. Many people will throw out suggestions, which are great, however most importantly is a good fit, and a shoe you can try out, and take back if it isn't right. Bad shoes can cause a lot of leg issues.

Tips/Suggestions: Don't wait til march. Don't use things like working part time (I worked 70+ hour weeks commonly when I was training for my first tri, but I was still doing double and sometimes triple workouts in a day.) as an excuse. Think of your health as an investment, if you can't invest $20 or $30 a month (which is a pittance) in access to a safe and clean work out area, do you really think you'll be willing to commit the time and effort to doing it? Run with your best friend. Pick a target race, and train for it - don't "go for a run"... TRAIN for it. Read a lot, don't go too far or too fast too soon. Invest in a good foam roller, like one of the ones from triple point.

Finally, have fun with it. It may have been a long time since you ran, but you've done it before, you know how to do it, and you're built for it. So... enjoy it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1.) Get proper shoes
    2.) Get proper running gear (sports bra- none chaffing shorts or wear bike shorts)
    3.) music (if you want)
    4.) Go outside
    5.) start running/jogging slowly
    6.)Stretch at the end of your block
    7.) when you get tired- slow down
    8.) when you get more tired- walk if you want
    9.) take your time
    10.) when you reach a point- or go around a loop- go back.
    11.) Stretch
    12) Feel good you did something
    13.) Go shower
    14.) Lather Rinse Repeat
  • uberdilettante
    uberdilettante Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I *highly* recommend the Chubby Jones C25K podcast. http://chubbyjones.com/couch-to-5k-running-podcasts/

I chose to start with this since I was too lazy to make my own playlists and suss out the best app. The music may not be everyone's cup of tea (some indie, some pop, mash ups, a good mix) but having her encouragement and occasional chit chat was instrumental to my sticking to the program . . . and I am known for NEVER sticking to things. She has done three iterations of the program and I found the recent ones have bettter music than the older ones. These iterations are really great for choice - you don't have to run to the same thing for all three days during some weeks (you'll know what I mean if you look at the C25K schedule).

Side note: I really wish Chubby Jones had a B210K program. I'm currently using Suz's 5K to 10K program, and although I love me some 90s hip-hop, the encouragement during the rough spots that I found with the Chubby Jones podcasts just isn't there. Plus, I have found that Puff Daddy songs are just horrible to run to and there's one nearly every week so far.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options

And multiply by an additional 1,000!!!

Next advice would be DO NOT RUSH IT. C25K is a great starting program. Hal Higdon also has a great website with tons of great information and additional training programs as you progress. Slow and steady wins. Don't be afraid to run and walk to start. Don't add too many miles or too much speed too quickly or you WILL get hurt. Pick your plan and stick to it and you will do just fine.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Runner's World is good for all the above. I used to be a regular contributor to the UK site's online community, the US one is even bigger.

I really liked your suggestions-- I was going to hit some of those, but you did an excellent job and i learned some in the process too =)
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bump - to try C25K for the ZILLIONTH time :frown:
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Great advice from everyone so nothing to add really just wanted to wish you luck and hope you learn to love it as I do now, it wasn't easy for me when I started 14 months ago at the age of 54 and I definately started out by running to fast but once I learned to slow down I really got into it.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options

And multiply by an additional 1,000!!!

and multiply infinity times 1,000....
    I would also include waiting to start running (walking is fine) until you get the correct shoes. Without its not IF you are going to get injuries, its just how fast will it happen....trust me on this.
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My questions are:
    ~Tips/ suggestions?

Buy running gear. This will at least make you feel obligated to do it. Don't buy expensive stuff either, you are just going to sweat and if you continue it will be too big in a month or so anyways. Start slow. Run as much as you can but learn to breathe through your nose and out of your mouth. Controlling breathing is half the battle. If you can only run a quarter of a lap, then that is where you start. Every day try to go a little further when you run. Just don't stop moving. Walk fast and if walking fast is bothering you slow down some. Don't try to keep up with other people. Listen to your body and stay within what your body is capable of. When you get better, then you can look to race or keep up.
    The apps are simple, any you get are good. Nike+, Myrunkeeper, etc... They are all good for tracking distance.
    Get fitted for running shoes. Try them on and make sure that they support your body. Don't worry about looks, trust me your feet are your friend.
    I couldn't run a half lap 8 months ago and 4 months ago I ran a half marathon in slightly under 2 hours and 15 minutes. Now I run about 4 - 6 miles daily. I remember learning to do it at my pace. Many days my pace was nothing short of a fast walk. My body finally got acclimated and it works for me. You have to find what works for you.