Creative Food Disasters

Options
SymphonynSonata
SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
A lot of the time I'm mulling around my kitchen trying to think of the most painless thing to make while staying within my calories. So, I had the grand idea of getting popcorn, air popping it and then messing it up with barbecue sauce. In my mind, I pictured each popcorn piece being wonderfully glazed in just a pinch of sauce. I ended up with my tablespoon sitting in the middle of the bowl, saturating a few popcorns to the point of being so overbearingly strong flavored they were disgusting, and the rest of the popcorn needing to be finger-dipped into the tablespoon, lol. It was kind of a disaster.

What have you thought was going to be really good, but really wasn't?

Replies

• k_diddly
    k_diddly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Instead of a saucy BBQ sauce, maybe try powdered BBQ seasoning. Much less gloppy. I like popcorn with a splash of tabasco and the aforementioned BBQ seasoning. But I'd never admit to it in public.
  • cjasinski011684
    Options
    LOL I made a london broil last night. The recipe said to brown both sides and then put it in the oven for 20 minutes. I did, and it was still mooing when I took it out. So I looked online and found a recipe that said to broil it. I'm terrified of the broiler, but bravely dug out the broiler pan (thank heaven the website said not to use foil!!!) and stuck that hunk of cow under the broiler. Nothing caught fire, but there was some smoke. The beef was tough from me cooking it three different ways, and a huge disappointment for all that work! Further more, I just got braces (again) and have a hard time eating anyway! I guess it helped with portion control!
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Instead of a saucy BBQ sauce, maybe try powdered BBQ seasoning. Much less gloppy. I like popcorn with a splash of tabasco and the aforementioned BBQ seasoning. But I'd never admit to it in public.

Ohhh, good idea!!! I like to get a little tacky with my popcorn. I put like 5 sweet n low packets on it with cinnamon but it all goes to the bottom because I usually don't have enough calories for oil, lmao
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    LOL I made a london broil last night. The recipe said to brown both sides and then put it in the oven for 20 minutes. I did, and it was still mooing when I took it out. So I looked online and found a recipe that said to broil it. I'm terrified of the broiler, but bravely dug out the broiler pan (thank heaven the website said not to use foil!!!) and stuck that hunk of cow under the broiler. Nothing caught fire, but there was some smoke. The beef was tough from me cooking it three different ways, and a huge disappointment for all that work! Further more, I just got braces (again) and have a hard time eating anyway! I guess it helped with portion control!

LOL that sucks!
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Ohhh, good idea!!! I like to get a little tacky with my popcorn. I put like 5 sweet n low packets on it with cinnamon but it all goes to the bottom because I usually don't have enough calories for oil, lmao
    I can't believe it's not butter (or Olivio) buttery spray! About a calorie per squirt, and it coats the popcorn nicely so that you can add salt or sugar or whatever you please and it'll stick! :smile:

Umm oh gosh I've had so many disasters with food. I don't even know where to begin. :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I tried to make protein crepes once. It was a gigantic dry disgusting mess.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I saw a bunch of cold overnight oatmeal ideas on Pinterest and tried one of them. It was like flavorless gloppy paste...even with tons of berries, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc...it seemed like the oatmeal and almond milk just sucked up all of the other flavors and there was absolutely nothing good about it. Even when I added more berries and some sugar free syrup, it was terrible. Ick
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I saw a bunch of cold overnight oatmeal ideas on Pinterest and tried one of them. It was like flavorless gloppy paste...even with tons of berries, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc...it seemed like the oatmeal and almond milk just sucked up all of the other flavors and there was absolutely nothing good about it. Even when I added more berries and some sugar free syrup, it was terrible. Ick

I just made overnight oatmeal last night, had it this morning (for the first time!!) and it was MINDBLOWINGLY GOOD. My diary is public so you can see what I put in it: a tablespoon of peach jam, half a cup of greek yogurt, a handful of frozen blueberries, and 1/4 cup of oatmeal. I didn't put any milk in it, (I guess I misremembered the recipe!) but I think that greatly improved it. Also, haha, sugar-free syrup sounds kinda gross!! Try it my way, it was seriously like eating ice cream or something.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

I just made overnight oatmeal last night, had it this morning (for the first time!!) and it was MINDBLOWINGLY GOOD. My diary is public so you can see what I put in it: a tablespoon of peach jam, half a cup of greek yogurt, a handful of frozen blueberries, and 1/4 cup of oatmeal. I didn't put any milk in it, (I guess I misremembered the recipe!) but I think that greatly improved it. Also, haha, sugar-free syrup sounds kinda gross!! Try it my way, it was seriously like eating ice cream or something.

well, you just blew my calories for the day

(note: I'll quadruple this recipe)
  • seltzermint555
    Options

I may have to try that!! Thanks.

But I've gotta add...I LOVE Cary's brand sugar free syrup! Just a tiny bit of that on ANY type of pancakes...mmmm...also when I make French toast, I love to put sliced strawberries on top and then drizzle a tiny bit of the SF syrup and wait a couple min...it is like delicious fruit flavored syrup. So good! They also have it at IHOP.

I also have Maple Grove SF syrup which is just meh, but does have a much more maple-y taste. I had some of that just this AM on top of steel cut oats (soaked in milk & water and cooked on the stove top yesterday morning) with some black walnuts. It was awesome.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Bump!
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    In my mind, I pictured each popcorn piece being wonderfully glazed in just a pinch of sauce.
    :laugh: In my mind, I truly believed that:
    - agar-agar mixed with cordial = delicious vegetarian jelly/jello. Not chalky, crumbling rubber.
    - stuffing and roasting a hollowed-out beetroot would DEFINITELY not taste like pickled dirt.
    - chia seeds, sprinkled onto salad or breakfast, were an excellent source of omega fatty acids. Also, a demon-possessed multitude of bitter slimy toad eggs that ooze into every corner of your mouth and cannot be gotten rid of.

OP, if you want a glaze of anything on popcorn, get an enormous mixing bowl and lightly smear the topping all over the inside of the bowl. Then throw in some plain popcorn and toss it like a salad until it's coated. Works every time. :drinker:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I'm so glad to see this post! I have tried that a few times and absolutely hated it!! I'm a pretty bad cook anyway so figured it was just me.
  • aura82
    aura82 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I onced made some savory sweet potato muffins. Ran out of chilli flakes so I used cajun seasoning.
    Took a bite and spat it out. Tasted like burnt dirt.
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    trying to make dessert with blended chickpeas
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust. I looked up lots of recipes before attempting it and settled on one with legions of comments saying that it worked, wow, every other cauliflower crust sucked, but this was the one!

I thought I'd be happy with it because I had no illusions of it being a real pizza crust. I knew there was no way this thing would be a substitute for delicious, calorie-laden bread. I just expected a reasonably solid cauliflower disc that I might put stuff on.

My cauliflower crust turned out to be more of a cauliflower mash, except not good. I like mashed cauliflower, but this thing was so disgusting that I threw it away and went out to dinner.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For overnight oats, I've done it with steel cut oats and it was fine. Tried it with regular old fashioned oats and it was mushy and just yuck. I think you really need steel cut oats, lol. Sadly I still haven't managed to make it as delicious as people say it's supposed to be.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options

well, you just blew my calories for the day

(note: I'll quadruple this recipe)

Awesome, haha. Let me know if you like it!
  • seltzermint555
    Options
    For overnight oats, I've done it with steel cut oats and it was fine. Tried it with regular old fashioned oats and it was mushy and just yuck. I think you really need steel cut oats, lol. Sadly I still haven't managed to make it as delicious as people say it's supposed to be.

I looooove steel cut oats...but I just don't think the overnight oatmeal thing is for me. I'll probably try it again with tips from this thread. But maybe it's just something about them being cold/mushy that I don't enjoy?

Usually when I make steel cut oats the regular way, I soak them overnight in a milk/water mixture. When I pour that into the pot to cook them, the slightly mushy texture of the oats just skeeves me out (until they are cooked). So maybe that's the issue. I am not a super picky eater, no prob with textures usually...but I dunno.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had some issues with this! hehe
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I tried to make home-made hummus - I didn't have tahini - so I used soy sauce - was absolutely disgusting - this was years ago, my husband still likes to joke about it.................!