MFP Calorie Goals

Options
I talked to my university nutritionalist and she suggested I start somewhere between 1500-1700 calories. So I figured I'd dry 1,500 first. I lost about a pound, and then MFP knocked me down to 1,200 calories a day. I'm already pretty skinny, so my goal is to get fit and tone up, with maybe a little weight loss.

I've been logging my workouts and today was particularly hefty and I see that my calories are set just about 1700.
Is MFP doing this based on what I've logged?
Also, is it okay to keep my calories that low when I'm burning off 200-300 calories 4 days a week and not eating them back?

Note - I am a 22 year old female at 5'2". I started off at 110 lbs and I'm at 108.5 now. Again, I'd like to lose a little weight (105 looked pretty good on my frame when I was there) but really tone things up since I've never really been into fitness.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With very few pounds to lose you should set your weekly weight loss goal to 1/2 pound a week.

MFP gives you a goal of 1200 (site minimum) for women based upon "I want to lose XX pounds per week." Lower your weekly goal (if it's at more than 1/2 pound).....and MFP will give you more than 1200.

Keep in mind the 1200 is a NET number.....this means it does not include exercise.

Example ......eating 1700 & burning 300 = 1400 NET calories. Eating exercise calories back is designed to keep your calorie deficit from being too high. The higher the deficit the more likely you will lose muscle mass (as well as fat).
  • missus_bowman
    Options
    I set it to let me custom set my caloric goals though, which is why I'm confused.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If you're not looking to lose..don't eat at a calorie deficit. If you're exercising to get fit you'll want to eat more...not less. Its simple math.
  • missus_bowman
    Options
    I guess I didn't make it clear, that I would like to lose some weight. I don't want to just bulk up, and I'd like to lose a little weight.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Something's wrong then. If you custom set your goals to 1500 it shouldn't have gone down to 1200 when you lost that pound unless you said ok when it asked you if you wanted to do a recalc. Do the custom set to 1500 again and when you log in your next weigh in, if it asks you if you want to recalculate (or whatever it says), say no and your goals shouldn't be changed.

Make sure you NET at 1500 calories as the poster above described.
  • missus_bowman
    Options
    Thank you! I don't remember seeing that option, so it's very likely that was what happened, especially if it is auto-selected. Going to go reset now!