Fat guy loses weight and does a traithlon?

Options
I have a goal for this year: Triathlon!

Last year I lost almost 150 pounds. I have went from running out of breathe on a long walk to 20+ mile bike rides and hiking a 5K every weekend. Once I build some endurance in the water I want to try and complete a triathlon.

I have my eye on a mid-April sprint event: 800m swim, 20k bike, 5k run.

Has anyone else went from morbidly obese (I was 400+ pounds) to attempting a triathlon?

Looking for success stories and/or tips here!

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No, but you can do it. Don't underestimate the swim. It's doable no doubt, but you WILL need to train it, and doing a 5k after biking is a very different kind of 5k.

Good luck man!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I went from obese to healthy and fit...

I started training for a sprint triathlon last year but ended up getting injured and had to skip the actual event. Just take it slow and make sure you're training properly for the event. My issue was that I was following a training template that had a lot of volume (as you would expect) to begin with...but I was then doing other things on my own due to other interests, etc...it was just too much volume.

I'm going to train for it again this year, but I made a resolution this year to train for one event at a time and not over-train. I ended up pretty much side lined for about 12 weeks with a partially torn tendon in my foot and then had to start back into my fitness again pretty slow. I'm actually still not running at all...just a lot of time on my bike and lifting and doing my re-hab exercises. I probably won't start running again until March or April to make sure I'm good and heeled up.
  • ROBJ3411
    ROBJ3411 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've done a bunch of tris and it is amazing to see the different body types out there. this is very doable...

just from the distances, this is a pretty long swim for a sprint, If you are uncomfortable in the water, you need to spend some time swimming. Also, if it is open water, it is much different then your normal lap swimming. just understand that and prepare accordingly. Last thing for triathlon newbies is the bike to run transition, getting off the bike and starting to run can be a very unique and emotional experience. Ensure that the first time you do it is not at the race.....

Go for it, pace yourself through the first 2 events, your goal should be to finish and have fun....
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic goal! I went from obese to overweight and was able to complete a triathlon. I am doing another one this spring to see my progress. Check out beginnertriathlete.com for great tips, training programmes and training logs. Good luck to you!
  • Ryan__V
    Ryan__V Posts: 36
    Options
    Swimming is definitely my concern. I am comfortable in the water, but have never swam that far. I need to find somewhere to train. My plan is to start with laps in a pool, and then transition to open water the three weeks prior to the race. I live a block from a private lake, but the water temperature is about 40 degrees right now. Water temp or race day should be 58-62.

As far as the bike portion, I am already very comfortable on my bike. I can complete 10 miles in 35-37 minutes already.

Running I am currently working on. I am doing a 5k up and down a steep hill (650 foot climb) every weekend. I ran my first mile non-stop today. I am not sure I will be able to run the whole course, but I am going to darn we'll try!

For transitions I figured I could start stacking a mile run after a ten mile ride pretty soon,

I am afraid to jump into a pre-made training plan, I fear that since I am still very overweight (technically obese) I may injure myself.

Any thoughts?
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    With those water temps, set aside some $$$ to buy a good tri wetsuit. Also, make sure you practice with it a couple of times before the race. That includes getting in and out of it. Make sure you read about prep and transition. Those are very important subjects when training for a tri.

You can do it!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The premade plans are based on fitness level, they even have one called couch to triathlon, for absolute beginners:) You are going to do great!