cannot exercise -help!

Options
I'm 49, need to lose 20lb but cannot exercise due to disability.

I was injured in a traffic accident when I was 20 and now walk with sticks or use an elec scooter to get about. Swimming is out of question as my physiotherapist don't want me to strain my weak shoulder!!! :sad:

i'm after support form similar age/weight loss that isn't doing loooots of exercise :smile:

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't useful, but it seems like your therapist would have the best recommendations for exactly your challenges. Good luck!
  • curlytoes79
    curlytoes79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I've heard that weight loss is about 70% diet and 30% exercise, so with dieting alone, you might still be able to lose weight. And I agree that your therapist would probably be the best person to give you suggestions for safe exercises.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. I've heard that weight loss is about 70% diet and 30% exercise, so with dieting alone, you might still be able to lose weight. And I agree that your therapist would probably be the best person to give you suggestions for safe exercises.

i'm sorry to hear that too. I heard that diet is 80% and exercise 20%, not that 10% makes a big difference LOL but regardless it IS possible to lose weight without exercising. good luck!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this will be of any help. A study of elderly, infirm men discovered when they stood more they used more calories and did loose more than if they just sat about. I am sorry I can't remember the origin of this information except it was in the UK. What ever movement you make will be beneficial. Some people on here seem to be of the opinion you have to exercise like a "mad thing" to loose but you don't. What one eats has most effect on weight if that helps too.

I wish you well as you progress on this road
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN AND FRUSTRATION!!! I lost my left leg at the knee in the line of duty 18 years ago as a paramedic when I was struck by a car. I get around with an artificial leg but there are days when I would just as soon not wear it and stay on my butt in a recliner.
    ANY AND ALL MOVEMENT COUNTS! Things as simple as laying on your side on the floor and doing leg lifts, sitting in a chair and doing side twists, rolling from side to side on the floor. You can even just sit in a chair and contract your abdominal muscles back and forth.
    I am no dietician or physician, but I can't help but to wonder if you could benefit from having some protein bars on hand. High protein, low carbs and low sugars. Might be worth looking into. I would also seriously consider contacting a couple other professionals and get some other opinions and advise to help you. Stay in touch :-)
  • yankeemold
    yankeemold Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    check out nutrimost. VERY Expensive, supplements and diet w minimal exercise. I lost 20 pounds in 40 days. Have kept it off a couple weeks now, and am adding some exercise. It is indivdually taylored to your body. Got me going, I am going to try to do the next 20 pounds by myself with diet and walking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

i'm sorry to hear that too. I heard that diet is 80% and exercise 20%, not that 10% makes a big difference LOL but regardless it IS possible to lose weight without exercising. good luck!

Actually, your weight can be controlled 100% through diet alone. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss. Exercise just allows you to eat more while you lose weight because your output is greater....but it isn't necessary to lose weight.

OP...eat to your MFP calorie goal and you will lose weight. No exercise is required. I lost a good 15-20 Lbs without exercise. Once I started feeling better at a lighter weight I started incorporating exercise into my routine.

I would also talk to your therapist about what kind of exercise you could do. While it isn't necessary for weight loss, it is invaluable to your overall health.
  • arcabeleno
    arcabeleno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your ideas/support/and timely responses.

Just lay on floor to do some leg lifts and the puppy jumped on my head..... guess I need to train her too!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight without exercising. (Lost my first 30 pounds just eating less.) Your body naturally burns a certain number of calories each day so as long as you eat a couple hundred below that amount then you can lose weight. For example, I had my RMR measured by a doctor and if I sit in front of the TV all day, my body will naturally burn 1656 calories in a day. So I aim for 1300-1400 calories a day when I'm not active so that I'm still burning more than I'm consuming.

Exercise does help burn some extra calories, but the bigger advantage of exercise is strengthening your body and improving how it looks and works. A physical therapist can help identify exercises that you can do for yourself, but it is possible to lose without it.
  • arcabeleno
    arcabeleno Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m back, now 53, nearly 54 andneed to lose 20 lb again. Anyone about to tell me to stop
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Movement in a pool, not necessarily swimming. MY 72 year old MIL & her octogenarian friends who live in a warm climate meet every morning & do a water based exercise routine. Most don't push themselves but they do move. I have done the routine with them & really give it my all. When it says kick your leg, many move in a about a 12 inch arc; I kick all the way out of the water. I'm usually tired after that work out. Regardless, of the intensity, they are all getting some benefit. So with input from your therapist I would recommend you find a routine you can do.
  • Back_4_more
    Back_4_more Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You do not need to exercise to lose weight. I lost 65lbs w/ just CICO in 3 months and w/o working out I was your age when I did it 3 yeas ago.