maintaining fitness

Options
Hi all,

I was wondering about what to do when I have reached what I consider to be a good weight and fitness level that I can be proud of when I look in the mirror.

Maintenance is obviously the next step. Managing my calories I can easily wrap my head around, but I really wonder how to maintain my muscles. I am currently doing one set of either 30ds, ri30, jmbr every day. Will I need to carry on this way? Can I drop it to less days? I dont really enjoy exercise but I recognise it is a means to an end.

I am waffling, sorry. I guess my bottom libe question is; When I have reached my "end" how much exercise do I have to do to maintain where I am.

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Anyone....?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    yep. use it or lose it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 7...almost 8 months. I workout pretty much the same as I did when I was losing. Really, it just depends on what you want from a fitness standpoint...and also note that if you reduce exercise, you're reducing your body's calorie requirements...therefore you need to eat less to maintain than you otherwise would if you were working out. I can almost 99.9% guarantee you that you'll put the weight back on if you stop exercising...IMHO, exercise is even more important in maintenance than it is while you are losing.

Perhaps you should try doing something besides workout DVDs...I wouldn't particularly like that either. I lift weights 3x weekly for about 45 - 60 minutes a pop and I ride my bike 3-4 times per week for 45 - 60 minutes a pop. I also do some hiking here and there and a little bit of running and swimming to cross train.

Maybe sit down and really contemplate some actual fitness goals that go beyond just burning calories.
  • lunula71
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about 3 years now and I exercise as much as I did when I was in my active "losing weight" periods. 4-5 workouts per week.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for 13 months , without the exercise I would have put most if not all the weight back on. You need to find some form of exercise that you like, for me it's running and cycling, set yourself some exercise challenges to keep it interesting or join in one of the challenges on MFP set by other members. Good luck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, waffles.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :).

I am trying different types of exercises that fit in with my money/living situation but as yet have not found one that I find I look forward to doing.

On the plus side I'm gathering that I won't have to do it every day like I do now.
  • djk721
    djk721 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for 14 months, and I still exercise everyday--30 minutes. I vary what I do because I am easily bored. Do you have a dvr? our local PBS station has a program on at 5:30 am called "Functional Fitness". I recorded the three versions--now I can do the workout on my schedule. Every other day, I dance using my Wii. These are my winter workouts....I am looking forward to spring when I go walking outside!!

As someone stated early, I am sure I would regain my weight if I didn't work out regularly. Thats how I got fat in the first place!!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ya this sucks, but it happens when you exercise just to lose weight. Maintaining excess muscle requires that you continue to stimualte that muscle over time. Otherwise, just like your body adapted and built new muscle once you started working out, it will slowly get rid of it when it's no longer needed.

Look at Arnold Swarchzeneger (however that's spelled), back in the day and now. He's still a big guy, but his body has deteriorated quite a bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :).

I am trying different types of exercises that fit in with my money/living situation but as yet have not found one that I find I look forward to doing.

On the plus side I'm gathering that I won't have to do it every day like I do now.

basic heart health requires about 150 minutes per week...that's 30 minutes 5x weekly. That's pretty bare minimum. You don't need to workout everyday, but you should be exercising 5-6 days per week to some extent.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I would suggest when you are within sight of your goals (or now) switching tpur focus to performance related goals- stronger, faster, participating in races, playing a sport, whatever. Those type of goals are never finished, and you can always choose a new exciting one when you get bored.