new to BMR research

Options
Hi Everyone- I need a little help understanding the BMR.

For a while now I have been very good about tracking my food and my workouts, I am usually eating back half the calories I worked out and I feel like I'm loosing weight at such a slow rate. I have been told to start eating more since I have been eating 1280 calories a day without workouts and about 1400 a day with workouts.

My workouts are usually 30-45 mins at 5x per week, either at the gym or walking.

I recently researched the BMR, and got 1670 as my BMR, after doing the Harris Benedict Equation at loosing 1lb per week I should be eating roughly 1800 calories a day. Does this seem to high?? I feel like 1500 is high enough! Below is how I came up with my number.

1670 x 1.375 = 2,296.25 (this is to maintain current weight)
2,296.25- 500 calories per day = 1796.25 to loose 1lb per week.

Any advice is helpful!- Thanks for looking!

Below is what I got from the website.

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You could lose at 1800 or lose faster at 1500. Neither is dangerous. If you don't estimate calories well, 1800 might mean painfully slow losses. There is no reason to believe that 1500-1800 will cause faster (or 'better') losses than 1300-1400, just slower.

Since you're using 'light exercise', I wouldn't be 'eating back' on top of that 1800.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you are logging your exercise separately I would probably use sedentary as the activity level. surprisingly enough, that puts you right at 1500 calories a day at a 1 lb/wk loss rate.
  • Scremoshells
    Options
    yes if I up my calories from 1280 to 1500-1800 calories a day I will not eat back my workout calories. I don't really know how I can eat over that anyways considering the foods I eat.

Thanks for the help!