Stuck at 42 pound loss...

Options
I am in need of a little advice today, In April of 2013 I started on my weight loss journey to get fit for me. I have lost a total of 42 pounds. I am currently tracking every single calorie I eat though myfitnesspal only eating 1200-1300 calories a day at the most. Drinking only water. And I exercise 5 times a week burning between 850-1000 calories a day those days I workout. Well Im stuck in my weight loss and I have a good 40 pounds left to lose. I have tried changing up my workouts to different equipment and changing up what I eat? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong to not lose weight? HELP! Thanks in advance!! <3

Replies

• Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your food? Do you wear a heart-rate monitor?

That's a pretty serious workout burn you're projecting. If you've changed what you're eating and how you're working out for a significant amount of time and not seeing a difference, I'd get factual with your calories and your burn to make sure they're being recorded accurately.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Do you measure your food? Do you wear a heart-rate monitor?

That's a pretty serious workout burn you're projecting. If you've changed what you're eating and how you're working out for a significant amount of time and not seeing a difference, I'd get factual with your calories and your burn to make sure they're being recorded accurately.

This...how do you calculate your exercise calories?
  • bpswife263
    bpswife263 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The workout equipment that I use calculates it for me based on my weight. It tells me distance, calories (total), calories per minute. Yes I measure out foods that I eat and stick to a strict amount. I was told that maybe Im working out too much and eating too little with the workout I do. But I want to know for sure if that's what it is. I don't want to just stop my workouts and eat more then gain weight. Ive worked to hard to get those 42 pounds off that im scared that I will gain them back if I do that.
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree you should look look into your numbers and make sure they're correct. If they are correct calorie shifting might help you it's where you change up the number of calories you eat each day, you can google it to get an exact plan. Some people say it can break a plateau but I haven't tried it, it's just a suggestion. Good luck :)
  • bpswife263
    Options
  • jess135177
    Options
    I've found that the gym equipment (and MFP) overestimate calories burned. Also make sure you are using a food scale and accurately weighing everything. I thought I was at a "plateau" and once I got a food scale I found I was just underestimating the calories I ate and overestimating the calories I burned.
  • bpswife263
    Options
    The equipment I use I actually put in my weight/age and it's accurate. Plus I am doing an incline of 9.0 walking at a pace of 3.5 so Im sure it's not over estimating if I do that for 2 hours.
  • jess135177
    Options
    Well its just a thought. The treadmill I use has me enter my height/weight/age. It estimates a calorie burn of almost 1000 when running 60 minutes at a speed of 6.5. My HRM estimated around 650. If you are burning more calories than you are eating you will lose weight...simple as that. If you are not losing weight then you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Do you eat any workout calories back? 1200-1300 cals isn't much if you're burning so much.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well its just a thought. The treadmill I use has me enter my height/weight/age. It estimates a calorie burn of almost 1000 when running 60 minutes at a speed of 6.5. My HRM estimated around 650. If you are burning more calories than you are eating you will lose weight...simple as that. If you are not losing weight then you are not in a calorie deficit.
    THIS THIS AND THIS!!!!! That is the cause most people are dumbfounded when they are not losing weight...I would be VERY conservative with these machines...I would go with half if you are eating back your calories at the very most....
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Machines and apps are notorious for overestimating calories burned. I have never believed in eating back calories. If it were me I would buy a high quality heart rate monitor, however even that I wouldn't trust as being all that accurate.
  • Fitmom4boys
    Fitmom4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    THIS THIS AND THIS!!!!! That is the cause most people are dumbfounded when they are not losing weight...I would be VERY conservative with these machines...I would go with half if you are eating back your calories at the very most....
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your burns sound over estimated, so find a better way to calculate them, or only eat back 1/2 of the calories the machines say.

Buy a food scale and weigh everything solid and use measuring cups for liquids.
  • Fitmom4boys
    Fitmom4boys Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I am in same boat and I can tell you that is you are eating to little you do not lose! I have been stuck on a plateau for ever after my initial loss..i have spent weeks playing around with low calorie diets clinging to to belief that if I just eat less i SHOULD lose right? I know i am accuratley measuring food, underestimating excercise etc..l
    I have gone back to the idea over and over that I need to eat more to lose...
    I am now shoot for 1600 a day and will prob increase if i see no gain..
    If I am not losing on 1200-1400... At least I can figure out how much i can eat without gaining!

To OP you should determine TDEE , use the Scooby website...just google scooby TDEE and there is a calculator..
    Good luck! I am committed this time to change my BF% not my scale!

[/quote]
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I find myself in a similar situation, yet people are really noticing the change in my body mass. Don't let the scale alone dictate your progress. It's an easy mind set to fall into, I fight it all the time. I would imagine you are much leaner than you were just a few weeks ago at the same weight. The weight that used to be made up of fat is now being replaced by muscle. Don't give up (and I won't either)! Make sure you are getting enough protein to fuel your workouts. The excess body fat has to go eventually!
    Well, I needed my little pep talk, I hope it helped you gals too.:wink: