30 Day Shred Questions!!!!

Options
I am currently doing 30 day shred.

I have done it for 3 days and had two rest days (did other excercise to subsitute).

Are you meant to have rest days or just power through with it.

How long do you do it until you move on to leval 2.

Has anybody got some good results. I'd love to hear about them!!!

Replies

• IndyHannah
    IndyHannah Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think you are supposed to do each level for 10 days. I wonder too about the rest days, I've never managed to complete 30 days straight, so I think for me I need to have rest days (plus some days you just can't manage it), but I don't know what's actually recommended. I've picked this up a few times before and have had really good results. I don't know how much weight I lost specifically as I run and cycle as well. I did get pretty fit though particularly my arms!
  • camo640
    Options
    How do you enter it into your exercises?
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred first time through with no rest days. Many on MFP said to take 1 day of rest between levels. The second time through I took Sundays off. Either way works!
  • happyfaye1
    happyfaye1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just started it too, I am on day 6. You do 10 days straight,no rest days, of level 1 then the same for level 2 and 3. Its a good workout I have seen it give great results on friends that have done it.
  • 2bassets
    2bassets Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I logged it as Circuit training, general.
  • happyfaye1
    happyfaye1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A few posts on here suggest putting it in as 20 mins of circuit training at 120 calories.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it every day. Move on to the next level when you feel ready for it. If it's too tough you can always go back to level 1 for a while.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    When I did it, on level 2 but kind of bored with it so doing other things, I did it every other day. But I also used weights 5-7.5lbs and I'm a firm believer that if you doing strength training, you should be taking days off to allow your muscles to rest and rebuild.

But a lot of people do it straight through.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Nowhere does it say to do it 30 days straight, though that is what the title of the DVD implies. Jillian said on a podcast that she recommends doing 2 day shred, 1 day cardio, 2 days shred 1 day rest, then repeat. There are many folk have gotten through 30 straight. Most people who attempt this usually peter out by day 8-12 because of sheer boredom or injury.

the flaw in this DVD is that Jillian is not very clear on what the 30 days is suppose to look like and she has even admitted in interviews that the 30 Day Shred name was more of a marketing title. On the video she does say to start with level 1 and move to the next level when you are ready. Again she never says stay on each level for 10 days, though that does sound logical. With that said, you can get great results with the shred. I think that taking rest days are better than burning yourself out, hurting your knees and/or back and not doing it at all.

FYI - I personally like Ripped in 30 much better.
  • natski_83
    natski_83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to do it every single day and hardly saw any results and got bored. Cut back to 5 days a week, included additional cardio and one rest day and I'm seeing more results than I ever have.

Your muscles need time to recover. She does say in the DVD to do it every day but as dshalbert mentioned, she recanted by stating that it's called the 30 day shred because it's 3 levels with 10 days per level and it's not intended for every day use.

You just need to listen to your body and do whatever you need to do to get through it. As for recording it - I input it into my fitbit under circuit training for 25 minutes. Gives me approx. 250 calories which is what someone had previously mentioned on the forums was their output from a heart rate monitor (they had a similar body structure so that is why I took to it)
  • winterpalm
    winterpalm Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS for 30 days straight simply because I wanted to challenge myself and I know that I get off track very quickly. I did find the workouts to get quite repetitive so what I ended up doing was alternating between levels 1, 2 and 3 after week one. That did help keep me engaged but by the end of the 30 days I was definitely looking forward to working on something new. I've seen some other posters mention that they prefer Ripped in 30 and I have to agree. I like the circuits better and just find the exercises to be more enjoyable.
  • hopperem
    hopperem Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I did it over six weeks doing it only on weekday mornings with weekends doing other stuff. Lost many inches and really enjoyed it!
  • jmalek
    jmalek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going to start the 30 Day Shred today! For those of you who have done it, how many days after I start should I expect to be sore for?
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I am going to start the 30 Day Shred today! For those of you who have done it, how many days after I start should I expect to be sore for?

You'll be sore all week. By day 5 or 6 things should start to calm down.
  • roxy782
    roxy782 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did 2 days of it so far. I am doing 40 mins fast walking on the treadmill before the shred. I am having a rest day from the shred today but did 40 on the treadmill. I was so sore yesterday I couldn't lift a water bottle!! Feeling a bit better today but I really need a rest day. Aiming now form 3 days shred and 1 rest day. I wll see how that goes!!