Emotional Eater Here!!!

Options
Hi, my name is Niki and I am an emotional eater. Im not hungry, I dont need food. But Im depressed so i want to eat. I feel bad about myself and the way I look so i wanna eat. Im bored, so Im gonna go eat. Its no wonder I have packed on the pounds!! Well that felt good to admit but now i have to figure out what to do when these emotional eating binges hit! Any suggestions??

Replies

• mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear this because I have gone through it too! The first step definitely seems to be being aware of it. I tend to do it less when I know that is why I am reaching for a bag of chips. Also, now when I know I have to log the calories, I stop and think. Perhaps you can find something low in calories at first that you like then you can have a small portion to get the craving out of your system? Feel free to request me as a friend for extra support! You can do it!
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    become an emotional: runner, weightlifter, cyclist, etc.

turn that emotion into something active.
  • tonialeigh
    Options
    I'm the same way. I quit smoking and started eating. Before I found this site I decided that I would just eat 3 meals a day with some fruit as snacks...LOL. I'm doing better but I found that if I chew gum, especially Trident original flavor. It has a minty taste and seems to kick the food craving plus it's so strong that nothing tastes good after you chew it. I hope it helps.
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hello, I too am an emotional eater. My grandaughter and daughter moved out this week end so I had tried to stay on guard. What I like is the Extra sugar free gum. Only five calories and it is great. I especially love the strawberry short cake but the key lime pie is good also. Makes you thing you are having dessert. My grandaughter [7 yr. old] calles it our dessert after meals. I learned about it on the biggest loser. If you have not tried it give it a try. Also keeping my fingers busy on the keyboard helps also. I am either on here or on facebook farming or playing games. Hope I helped you some. Kaye
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Maybe keep a journal and write when you get the urge to eat from emotions? Take a minute to sit down and write about what/how you are feeling, how your day is going, why you are stressed, bored, whatever. Then if you still want to eat, eat something healthy!

PS, I need to do this too, lol.
  • fit_nyc
    Options
    become an emotional: runner, weightlifter, cyclist, etc.

turn that emotion into something active.

Well said. Channel your emotion into something great
  • nradebe
    nradebe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it helps to distract yoursaelf, or sometimees i would tell my self to wait a few minutes before I eat something sometimes it works but sometimes not, what I have found however is that as I loose the weight I feel good about myself and I don't want to sabotage all the hard work that I have put in the gym. and keeping healthy food at hand helps, but then there are just those times... I guess after those you just have to pick yourself up and move on in the right direction,
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Read Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth. Changed my life. I'm no longer an emotional eater, have binged ONCE in 2010, and it's even helped me with my shopping addiction (my replacement for my food addiction).

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne