About to Fall

Options
2»

Replies

• TLynn0568
    Options
    When I get that way - and I do, I'm a bonafide food junkie - before I give in I think about WHY I want to eat it. I mean, really, WHY. I find that when I'm in a "screw it, I'm doing it!" place it's irrationally emotional. I think about what I want and why I want it, and then if it's worth it - after I eat it and the guilt sets in - WILL it be worth it? Then I'll at least TRY to snack on something more healthy. Instead of cookies I'm going to take a handful of almonds - maybe that "trigger" within me making me want to eat won't truly notice the difference and I won't blow all my hard work on a spur of the moment binge.

And if you do "fall," so what? Get back up and keep going! Do the right things afterward for as long as you can and always try your best to keep doing the right things.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I binge weekly. Helps to keep you from going crazy while dieting lol. Just don't over do it and stay within your calorie goals, or maybe fast the next day and you will be fine.
    Adding compensatory behaviours to a binge? That's pretty much leading into bulimia. :indifferent:

I am an intermittent faster. And, I bet I'm not anywhere near the bulimia crap you are talking about. I also don't bing for a whole week. Actually I don't really binge at all. But there isn't anything wrong with fasting.
    I am too; I know there's nothing wrong with fasting. Fasting to make up for binge eating is a completely thing. Intermittent fasting is also not generally recommended for people with disordered eating (and no, I'm not making an ED diagnosis there, but uncontrollable binge eating is a disordered pattern of eating.)

ETA: and, like you say, you dont really binge. I really think the op is talking about a completely different thing.

Wow, IF is not even close to bulimia...
  • socolu
    socolu Posts: 6
    Options
    Paint my fingernails... then I have to wait for them to dry! And I have a good stern talking to myself about how I want to have a body to match my fab fingernails.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'M THE SAME WAY TODAY FOR SOME REASON! HAHA.... perhaps it's the moon ... i want treats... I"m just chewing gum now because I know that in 2 hours I have a nice fish dinner to cook !!!!!!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you are an eighteen year old guy. how low is your daily calorie allotment???
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think you need to pinpoint how you got to this place and try to cut the cycle off.

IMO,for a lot of the people that find themselves binge eating, the cycle starts with over-restriction. This could be too few calories, imbalanced macros, or an obsession with cutting out "bad" foods. If you correct whatever the restriction is, you can break the binge-restriction cycle.

If you do binge, however, do not follow it with a restriction. Just start over fresh, and try to break the cycle.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Log it to see how much it would be...then either exercise enough to burn those calories or rationalize with yourself that it's not worth it. Write down a list of reasons why you're losing weight so you can visualize why it's not worth it. Drink water to help feel full. Find something low cal to eat, like some veggies or oatmeal, etc. so that at least you only go over a little. Distract yourself with something, a book, hobby, take a walk if that's possible, write a letter or call a friend, etc. Those are some quick thoughts.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Log it to see how much it would be...then either exercise enough to burn those calories or rationalize with yourself that it's not worth it. Write down a list of reasons why you're losing weight so you can visualize why it's not worth it. Drink water to help feel full. Find something low cal to eat, like some veggies or oatmeal, etc. so that at least you only go over a little. Distract yourself with something, a book, hobby, take a walk if that's possible, write a letter or call a friend, etc. Those are some quick thoughts.

I really believe exercising off calories from binge eating is a form of purging.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I think many people forget that purging is more than just vomiting. A purge not only attempts to expel calories from the body but also feelings of guilt. Many times purging is used as punishment for bingeing. Any form of compensatory behavior after over-eating and binging can be viewed as a purge. This includes but is not limited to: exercising, fasting, restricting, laxative abuse, diuretic abuse, and vomiting. (Fyi, there is such a thing as EXERCISE bulimia.)

Now, just to be clear, I'm not saying all of you have bulimia. I'm not even saying that you have any form of eating disorder. In reality, eating disorders have little do with eating, but the actual behaviors have to start somewhere don't they?

We need to focus on giving advice about stopping binges before they happen. I've seen some great posts on that already.

But once someone has binged, it's done. Reassure that person that they'll be okay. Ask them to forgive themselves, relax, and start over again the next day with an appropriate amount of calories. I'm absolutely sick of seeing people suggest that they exercise it off or restrict calories during the next week. MFP shouldn't allow that kind of dangerous advice.

ETA: I'm also not a fan of telling someone to look in the mirror in order to shame themselves out of bingeing. That's just vile.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I binge weekly. Helps to keep you from going crazy while dieting lol. Just don't over do it and stay within your calorie goals, or maybe fast the next day and you will be fine.
    Adding compensatory behaviours to a binge? That's pretty much leading into bulimia. :indifferent:

I am an intermittent faster. And, I bet I'm not anywhere near the bulimia crap you are talking about. I also don't bing for a whole week. Actually I don't really binge at all. But there isn't anything wrong with fasting.
    I am too; I know there's nothing wrong with fasting. Fasting to make up for binge eating is a completely thing. Intermittent fasting is also not generally recommended for people with disordered eating (and no, I'm not making an ED diagnosis there, but uncontrollable binge eating is a disordered pattern of eating.)

ETA: and, like you say, you dont really binge. I really think the op is talking about a completely different thing.

I can't tell if that comment is directed towards me or the other poster, but I am well aware that IF ≠ bulimia (like I mentioned, I practise IF; I'm not bulimic). Fasting to "make up for" a binge, however, is compensatory behaviour, and not remotely what IF is about. IF is really not recommended for people with eating disorders (again, not diagnosing the OP here).
  • MoreBean13
    Options

I can't tell if that comment is directed towards me or the other poster, but I am well aware that IF ≠ bulimia (like I mentioned, I practise IF; I'm not bulimic). Fasting to "make up for" a binge, however, is compensatory behaviour, and not remotely what IF is about. IF is really not recommended for people with eating disorders (again, not diagnosing the OP here).

That's true. ALL of the literature on IF specifically says it's not appropriate for people with disordered eating tendencies.
  • coffeeMAME
    coffeeMAME Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If it isn't too cold wherever you are, get out and walk somewhere.

For me, I have to make sure I have a destination; if you're only walking to get rid of the urge, it isn't going to help--you'll just be thinking about what you want to eat.

I usually walk to Starbucks lol. Its about 2 miles from my house. I get a tall nonfat skinny mocha, like 80 calories. Walk 2 miles home. Now I've walked four miles and had something sweet. It usually gets rid of the urge. Takes a good hour though haha.
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options

I really believe exercising off calories from binge eating is a form of purging.

Perhaps I wasn't thinking binge as in I'm going to eat 1000 calories in 15 minutes, I was thinking more like I just can't resist this bag of chips and I might sit and eat half the bag. If you really want those chips and find it reasonable to workout enough to earn those calories, I don't see anything wrong with it. Not to mention, it makes you realize the "value" of food if you will and perhaps change some of your habits when you find that working out that hard for that item isn't worth it. The same way I have my daughter look at the value of things...it takes her x amount of time to earn x amount of money, so is that pair of boots worth that amount of time? Certainly not suggesting someone "purge" or get started on an eating disorder.

I know that I have worked out extra in order to eat a piece of cake or something that I've wanted, I don't consider that purging.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Perhaps I wasn't thinking binge as in I'm going to eat 1000 calories in 15 minutes, I was thinking more like I just can't resist this bag of chips and I might sit and eat half the bag. If you really want those chips and find it reasonable to workout enough to earn those calories, I don't see anything wrong with it. Not to mention, it makes you realize the "value" of food if you will and perhaps change some of your habits when you find that working out that hard for that item isn't worth it. The same way I have my daughter look at the value of things...it takes her x amount of time to earn x amount of money, so is that pair of boots worth that amount of time? Certainly not suggesting someone "purge" or get started on an eating disorder.

I know that I have worked out extra in order to eat a piece of cake or something that I've wanted, I don't consider that purging.

I have done it myself, too. I think it's perfectly OK to work off snacks for people who have a healthy relationship with food, for all the reasons you talked about. But the psyche is very different for people with disordered eating tendencies. I just think whenever someone mentions that they experience a loss of impulse control with food, it may be a bad cycle for that person.