How are you getting ready for Thanksgiving?

Options
Thanksgiving is a little over a week away what are you doing to keep the pounds at bay for Turkeyday?For me I'm sticking to my plan strictly up until Thanksgiving so I can have a little leeway. For me that also means giving up my cheat meal this week and next to splurge with my family.

Replies

• StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 5K Turkey Trot Thanksgiving morning with my whole family....... :drinker:
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    working my butt off until Thanksgiving :D I am not counting on Thanksgiving though... and gonna do a 24 hour fast starting Thanksgiving night... it's all part of my plan anyways. I always fast on Fridays...LOL
  • micah2009
    micah2009 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Starting to plan the menu now... that way it will be easier then.
  • PocketNaomi
    Options
    Good question!

1) I'm planning my week so that Thursday will be my "cheat day" for that week (not easy, since Tuesday and Wednesday I will be driving from Seattle to San Jose with my family, and therefore eating every meal in kid-friendly restaurants!)

2) I'm deliberately aiming myself at ONE Thanksgiving-specific food: turkey. Which isn't all that fattening. I intend to eat all the turkey I want, and other than that try to stick to salads and vegetables, not mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes or gravy or stuffings or anything like that. If I just stick to turkey and veggies, I can probably eat a lot of them and still not be TOO far over my calorie target.

3) I'm conscientiously writing down everything I eat here on the food chart. Even that day. I want to be aware of how many calories I'm consuming, even if I don't actually limit myself because of the knowledge. It will really help me decide whether I actually WANT another slice of turkey or am just taking it because it was offered.

4) I don't see how I'm going to be able to resist dessert. So I am deciding in advance that I may have one small sliver of pie, any flavor they have that I want, and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of it... but that's all. Hopefully that won't be too high-calorie, and it will leave me not feeling sulky because everybody gets dessert and I don't. I'll just savor it slowly.

Hope some of those ideas can help other people! I'll let you know how it goes after I try it out!
  • fit_nyc
    Options
    I plan to tuck my head between my legs and pretend like's its just another day.
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    I honestly haven't even thought about it. I'll be traveling to Cali but won't stop working out. I'm just going to try and eat as healthy as possible. And when I have that big huge piece of apple pie a la mode, it'll be okay cuz I'll just pick right up where I left off the next day. ;)

The keys are portion control and a balanced meal. Make sure you eat your veggies along with that ugly-but-delicious bird. My personal "trick" is to eat as much of my veggies as I can first, and then dig into the proteins. Save the stuffing for last. ;)

As long as your "splurges" don't turn into "binges," you'll be fine. =)

Brian
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    Good question!

1) I'm planning my week so that Thursday will be my "cheat day" for that week (not easy, since Tuesday and Wednesday I will be driving from Seattle to San Jose with my family, and therefore eating every meal in kid-friendly restaurants!)

Ha ha, I'm driving from Idaho to San Jose on Tuesday as well, lol. My sister lives in SJ, right near the Campbell border. ;)

Small world!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Headed to the mountains for a week of hiking and rock hopping (and shopping). And since we are out of town and I don't cook for Thanksgiving (all hails back to when my husband died) I've made reservations. I may have one HUGE meal but no left overs to pick at.

Long but here's the menu to choose from buffet style. Y'all can help (but I'm totally eating - one meal of 3000 won't kill my effort)

HORS D'OEUVRES, BREADS & SOUPS
    Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup - ewww
    Potato, Grilled onion and Corn Chowder - ewwwww
    Holiday Cheese & Fruit Display - YES
    Deviled Egg Salad with Crostini - ewwwww
    Roasted Tomatillo Queso Dip With Tortilla Chips - ewwwww
    Biscuits, Cornbread, Fresh-baked Rolls - I'll HAVE A FEW :D

CENTER OF THE THANKSGIVING TABLE
    Roasted Fresh Tom Turkey With Giblet Gravy & Cranberry Sauce - MEH
    Sage, Onion, & Cornbread Dressing - YUM
    Baked Fresh Ham With Cider, Bay and Sage Jus - OH HECK YEAH
    Mountain Trout, crusted, With Lemon Butter - YES PLEASE
    North Carolina Sweet Potato and Caramelized Pecan Pudding - FAVORITE
    Creamy Smashed Bliss Potatoes - YEP
    Buttered Roasted Sweet Corn and Red Pepper Medley - ewwww
    Baked Green Bean and Fried Onion Casserole - ewwwww
    Braised Collard Greens With Ham Hock - NUMMY
    Baked Macaroni & Cheese - YES PLEASE
    Roasted Root Vegetables - DEPENDS

FROM THE RIVERS & THE SEA
    Mountain Trout, Crusted, With Lemon Butter - ALL OVER THIS ONE
    Steamed Shrimp With Cocktail and Rémoulade Sauces - AND THIS ONE
    Maryland Crab Cakes - OUT OF MY WAY CAUSE THESE ARE MIINE
    Dilled Creek Shrimp and Bay Scallops Pasta Salad - OH HAYLE YEAH

SALAD ARRAY
    Apple and Dried Cranberry Waldorf Salad - NOPE
    Heavenly Pineapple-Mango Ambrosia Salad - MAYBE
    Feta, Cucumber & Red Onion Salad Vinaigrette - NOPE
    Sweet Pea, Red Onion and Cheddar Salad - YUCK
    Garden-Fresh Green Salad with Dressings - YES
    Red bliss Potato and Green Onion Salad - NOPE
    Marinated "Copper Penny" Carrot Salad - OH DEAR LORD HORK

OUR CHEF’S FINISHING TOUCH - EATING ALL OF THESE
    Hearty Pumpkin and Pecan Praline Bread Pudding
    Apple Cranberry Cobbler With Chantilly Crème
    Pumpkin Cheesecake
    Layered Mocha Chocolate, Dried Cherry and Genoise Pudding
    Cranberry, Orange and Cream Cheese Gateaux
    Classic Pies: Pumpkin, Pecan, Apple
    Assorted Cookies
  • Carol_can_do_it
    Options
    My husband is smoking the turkey, which cuts down on the calories since we are not basting it or cooking it in it's drippings. I'm making the traditional fare and family favorites, but including some lighter options for me such as fresh green beans and sweet potatoes.

I am planning on sticking to my calorie goal and pay more attention to my friends and family.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    This is a problem for me and I haven't quite decided how I want to handle it yet. Not so much that I can't say no to the foods. I am generally not a huge fan of the thanksgiving foods. And now that my mother has it catered, I like them even less. The problem I am having is deciding what foods I will actually want, and will want to make enough to share with everybody. I have been put in charge of the green bean casserole. This is the one food that has always been my favorite. I insisted mom stop having this one catered because theirs is weird and have made it myself the last couple of years. I think she is not going to be pleased when the green bean casserole is turned into a big plate of freshly steamed green beans but if i am cooking it, i am making what i want...lol. I have been thinking of doing the same thing with asparagus. i will also make the cranberry sauce. and maybe a fruit salad or veggie salad. I am also thinking on making a fairly light dessert, maybe that angel food pinapple thing i have seen on here. I know i will get scolded at by mom because she caters it so we don't have to cook, but i really hate that we cater it anyway...lol.

okay that was mostly a bunch of rambling as i was thinking out loud (umm... through the computer) :-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    We are hosting the dinner at our house so I am cleaning this week. I did the shopping for most of the dinner yesterday. Got a 16 pound bird on sale for .49 a pound, one of the no addatives natural ones. I also got the ingredients for the stuffing, got the crescent rolls, the disposable pan, foil, and all sorts of other odds and ends. I had a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase, so basically the turkey and rolls were free.

I will be brining the turkey the night before I cook it. If you have never had a brined bird I strongly urge you to do so! You can buy the cheapest bird and it comes out better than a Butterball! Last year I did the Christmas dinner for 6 adults, I cooked a 22 pound bird. There wasn't even enough left for a sandwich! The bones were picked clean.

As far as my eatting goes for the day, I plan to have lots of turkey, a bit of garlic potatoes and gravy, a roll, vegies, and maybe a piece of pie later with coffee. There will also be snacks of raw vegies, fruit and cheese I can nibble on early in the day instead of a normal breakfast. I can stay within goal for the day. If I need to I can drag a couple people out for a walk with me.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    my family is coming over, so .............Im hitting the wine ASAP.............

I am working out 2 to 3 hours a day, burning as many calories as I can, then Turkey day, I plan on eating only a few things that are healthy........like the turkey, only a small amt of dressing, but Im going to bake my own sweet potatoe, as I know its healthy to do it this was, as opposed to the sweet potatoe cassorole with the butter, nuts, brown sugar, and marshmallow......
    I am going to more or less have the calorie count in my head, as well as working out that evening before Thanksgiving, as I know the gym is closed, so Ill get my work out in .........Im all prepped for it, but like I said, I am having my family over, and wine is the only thing that gets me thru it..........funny thing, I really dont even drink unless they come around, lol...........

Keep me in your prayers and thoughts............Lloyd
  • kewkdb
    kewkdb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing anything different. I usually never go too crazy on Turkey day anyways so I ought to be fine :)
  • crissi66
    Options
    im sticking strictly to my calories and trying to add some extra workouts in there. some days im even going to the gym twice to help burn off the extra pudge ... Only to make room for a slice of pumpkin pie of course. but i am also going to florida for xmas so i will be doing alot of cooking and eating out so i am trying to get myself in a really good place for the holidays. I even found a gym down by my dad to go to while im down there.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I'm going to use Thanksgiving as my cheat day. C'mon, it's Thanksgiving!!
  • dnb3333
    dnb3333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am going under my calories on wed. and fri.