What's wrong with me?

Options
For 7 (nearly 8) months, since my daughter has been born, I have been saying I will lose weight. I lost 21lbs and was well on my way but then just lost it and, although I say on a regular basis that I want to be fit and healthy, I just don't seem to be able to get my head around being 'good'.

Today has been fantastic, I even prepared my dinner in advance and was well on my way for a healthy day - then my brother (who is visiting from uni) decided he wanted an Indian and instead of eating my low fat, low cal chicken and veg, I ordered a curry and all the trimmings!

Why do I do this to myself and how can I stop??

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    one meal at a time. you have to remind yourself of what you want more. there is no secret. you just have to choose what is right for you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The first step is to figure out how many calories you should be eating to lose weight in a sustainable way. After that, eat whatever you like, including Indian food. There's no reason you have to limit yourself to low-fat, low calorie foods. Just try to stay within your calories for the day and log everything to the best of your ability. :smile:
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with you? I'll tell you what's wrong with you. Curry. Why go to an Indian restaurant and not have delicious curry. You can have chicken and veggies anywhere. Like today. Whew! Now that that's behind you, you can move forward. :drinker:
  • mellymoobag
    mellymoobag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The first step is to figure out how many calories you should be eating to lose weight in a sustainable way. After that, eat whatever you like, including Indian food. There's no reason you have to limit yourself to low-fat, low calorie foods. Just try to stay within your calories for the day and log everything to the best of your ability. :smile:

This is exactly my problem, I eat my calories, then want more and more!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my problem, I eat my calories, then want more and more!

Well, how many calories are you trying to eat? Maybe your goal is too aggressive.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You can have those extra calories, but first you have to earn them with exercise! Have you set up your daily calorie goal here on MFP? If you don't have a goal set, you're just shooting into the wind with no direction. This will give you the guideline you need to get to where you want to go!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Sometimes logging does backfire on us. We think of food All Day Long.

Another reason, you haven't dug Deep enough to TRULY Want this. Its NOT easy. If it was easy we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in the US. There's a lot of food that tastes Good to us, that isn't necessarily good FOR us.

Food is Fuel. how do we want to Fuel our body.

I'm FAR from perfect, but I'm working on it.

although having a high calorie drink often throws me off at night and I "Know" better........

Do you have a workout program that you Love? Sometimes getting into that routine really helps with the others.
  • mellymoobag
    Options
    MFP set my goal, think I'm just being a piggy. I've always been a big eater x
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    MFP set my goal, think I'm just being a piggy. I've always been a big eater x

MFP sets a goal based on your inputs. If you selected 2 lbs/week and that's not working out, maybe switch that to 1 lb/week.
  • mellymoobag
    Options
    Sometimes logging does backfire on us. We think of food All Day Long.

Another reason, you haven't dug Deep enough to TRULY Want this. Its NOT easy. If it was easy we wouldn't have an obesity epidemic in the US. There's a lot of food that tastes Good to us, that isn't necessarily good FOR us.

Food is Fuel. how do we want to Fuel our body.

I'm FAR from perfect, but I'm working on it.

although having a high calorie drink often throws me off at night and I "Know" better........

Do you have a workout program that you Love? Sometimes getting into that routine really helps with the others.

I need a workout program. Hard for me as I have a young baby so cant go to a gym etc, and I live in a flat with people below so cant really workout at home. I can go for walks etc with the pushchair but other than that I am stuck for ideas x
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    You do it because curry is good and brothers don't visit every day! Tomorrow is new.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Do you have a concrete WHY as to why you are trying to lose weight and get healthy? Do you have something you think of every single day to remind you of WHY you are doing it?? Do you have any measurable goals written down to look at? Or are you just going with " my goal is to lose weight!"?? Have you put any of your goals or plans on paper, chalk board, white board, smart phone?

In order to be successful you have to first get your mind on board. if you aren't committed, you won't succeed. As for a meal out with family, that's not breaking the rules, or committing some kind of crime :-) You're allowed to do that and NOT beat yourself up over it! Do not make yourself feel badly when you didn't follow your plan, just figure out WHY you didn't follow it and then decide how to deal with that kind of situation next time :-)

You need a road map with goals and plans. you wouldn't necessarily get in a car and just drive if you want to go on a road trip. you would pick a destination, then pick places to stop along the way, check out the car and make sure you have what it needs, you'd make sure you have what you need too, and plans for emergencies, and contingency plans as well.

A great book I suggest is PUSH, by Chalene Johnson! it's a "diet" for your life book, that helps get everything in order, including weight loss and the road to being healthier, all in one book! it's a very inspiring read :-)

Feel free to FR me :-)